Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Compact wet weather gear for long rides?

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Liamjs 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking for solutions for wet weather riding. I'm setting up my Burgman 650 for long-distance rides around Australia. This will mean attaching panniers, a topbox and a tunnel tank bag.

Generally the weather here is good - warm and dry. I want some wet weather gear for those rare bad times. I don't have major call for wet weather gear, so I don't want to go the whole hog and buy something super expensive.

Any recommendations? What have you chosen for rain riding and why? What should I look for?

#2 ·
Me? Just a body-armor riding jacket from SpeedStrength (removable liners) and nylon riding pants. Gloves and heated grips and a full-face helmet; and I stay dry in the hardest downpours. I have a GIVI windshield, with wings to protect the handgrips; so my hands stay relatively dry and the heated grips take off any chills.

#5 ·
Some of the better-quality golf or hiking rainsuits work well and are very "packable" and have good features like zippered pockets and mesh inner-liners. Obviously they won't offer any "scuff" protection, though. Depends on what your needs are.

#7 ·
I'm with Chip on the Frogg Toggs. Some people don't think they aren't heavy duty enough. But here in Florida I like that they breath leaving the heat out and keeping the rain out too. They roll up to about a 5"X11" roll that will even get smaller if they are on the bottom with stuff packed on top of them.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
I ride year around and found that the Frogg Toggs are light weight, water proof, and easy to store/pack. They also help keep me warm when the temperatures drop below 40. A pair of water proof gloves and I'm set. For longer trips I have used different pairs of boots. Better protection and easy to water proof with some boot oil or spray on. I've ridden in temperatures below freezing and in heavy rain for extended periods and never been wet or uncomfortably cold.

#15 ·
The leather dries out, as it dries out - natural oils are washed out, and need to be replenished with boot oil or similar. Messy

Leather is a loser. It's heavy and gets more so when wet; it doesn't repel water naturally. It's MODERATELY good protection when you're sliding on it; but synthetic body armor is much, much better.

#16 ·
I have found most rain suits to be awkward when riding. Bulky and flapping in the wind. I prefer to have on good water proof gear to begin with that wont flap around and be an awkward distraction.
I do keep some froggtoggs for when I am off the bike when camping or hiking though.

#19 ·
I have heard very good things about Frog Togs. I ride wearing Areostich Darin pants & jacket. http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/darien I have been wearing them for about 7 years fall through spring everyday. On one ride from Crescent City Ca. to Santa Cruz (526 Mi.) that ranged from 38 f to 102 & back down to 36 crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. The next day I rode from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbra (257 Mi.) in rain & stayed completely dry. It's pricey but well worth the money.

#22 ·
Dri-Rider is Aussie based - I'd look there but why not a Gortex jacket and skip the rain suit entirely.

Rain proof over pants are cheap and pack small.

#23 ·
I go tired of the on off with rain gear so opted for the Scott Distinct 2. I have not done a heavy rain with it yet.

Expensive normally but out of Germany - 1/2 price.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=22903755&Currency=AUD

I think it truly is a 4 season jacket tho I'd switch back to my mesh for Cairns in the rainy season...ANYTHING you wear you will sweat in worse than getting wet.

It's for kid and I for cross continent next June.
It fits a size up so if you wear XL go 2x etc - fits up to 4x.
Their sizing chart is available.

Very nice jacket.

#25 ·
Yeah and those hi-viz stripes REALLLLY light up when light hits them....surprising.

Still have to get a good rain storm but nice to be able to throw the jacket over whatever I am wearing and go riding in anything above 40 degrees without layering.
Heated grips today will fix that issue on the Wee and of course the Burgman has them already.

At full price ....that's too expensive- at half price...should see out my remaining riding years.

#28 ·
I ordered a suit today. El Niño is coming to Los Angeles and I don't want to be unprepared. :D

#30 ·
I cannot count the amount of times my Frog Togs have saved my butt , especially on those times when the temp drops 20 degrees an hour from home as a wind breaker suit . I never travel any where without them .

TheReaper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.