FYI - AFX-55 7 in 1 Helmet - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 PM
Insane Poster

Maniac
I got it and I wear a 2x and it's a superb fit for me.
For reference my Bell Mag8 2x fits a tad looser than the AFX 55 but just enough for a balaclava.

The AFX is the best "out of the box" fit yet and I love the quick connect strap - fiddly to set - once you've got it it's a treat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Insane Poster

Quote:
LS2 393 convert. Probably $200-$250 US dollars
Mmm think you are low on that

Quote:
LS2 FF393 CONVERT HELMET BLACK from Inglis Cycle ...
www.ingliscycle.com › Store › Inglis Cycle Powersports Specials
Inglis Cycle Powersports Specials LS2 FF393 CONVERT HELMET BLACK. List Price from: C$389.99. Our Price from:C$359.99. View Products
and not quite as light. AFX is 3.3 lb But nice to see options.
Never have found a convertible flip over that's quiet tho compared to the Bell or the AFX 55.

Happy with the price and that chin piece is a pretty chunky bit of polycarb.
The interesting thing when it's on.....the field of view is so broad I cannot see it in my peripheral vision. That's a big plus....means I might wear it more.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
Mmm think you are low on that

and not quite as light. AFX is 3.3 lb But nice to see options.
Never have found a convertible flip over that's quiet tho compared to the Bell or the AFX 55.

Happy with the price and that chin piece is a pretty chunky bit of polycarb.
The interesting thing when it's on.....the field of view is so broad I cannot see it in my peripheral vision. That's a big plus....means I might wear it more.

Do you think the AFX- FX 55 is significantly better than the AFX- FX 50? Will the chin piece really hold up in an accident? I don't see myself using the chin piece much but on a cold day I would likely put it on the helmet.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Insane Poster

can't tell you - never had an AFX before.

The chin piece is pretty rugged - thick Polyprop and it's invisible to the field of view when on.

Travel photos>
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Insane Poster

Just came back from a 2,700 km 5 day jaunt through the Smokies from Toronto.
The AFX-55 worked very well throughout.

Extremely quiet with -33 ear plugs in.
Visor a tad hard to open with gloves but that will likely be better.

Settled on the bottom configuration for touring with no visor as being the quietest.

Very comfortable even with 12 hour days and not bad getting on and off.
I tended to run with sunglasses and both visors up in good weather...then I broke the arm of the ( cheap ) sunglasses and went with the sunvisor only and really liked not having anything parked on my nose.
Sunvisor is smooth in operation.

I got some marks on the visor - not sure when - does not seem as hard a material as the Bell but both the sunvisor and the visor cleaned up well with soapy water then microfibre.

In a deluge it was fine in 50 degree and lower weather

My only issue is I cannot get my earphones to seal well in it....still working on that.
Overall I think it's better than the Bell Mag8 I was using.
The field of view with the chin bar on is excellent - cannot see it at all....few fumble moments as I tried to eat or drink ....( it can be done ).

When the visor clamps to the chin bar completely it is very quiet at speed but can fog.
Cracking it eliminated the fog.

Quietest was with the visor up - sunvisor up or down did not make any difference in sound but also quiet was visor full down..

I really like the quick disconnect chin strap.
Interior fabric is very comfortable.
WIth my matching Icon jacket I sure of being seen even in foggy, rainy weather...a big plus.
The yellow really stands out.

recommended.

Travel photos>

Last edited by MacDoc; 09-18-2014 at 08:21 PM.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Insane Poster

Info on the helmet certification

Quote:
Features:
-Aerodynamic shell design constructed of advanced poly-alloy plastic for lightweight strength
-Helmet can be configured one of seven different ways
-Clear coat finish to protect paint and graphics
-Hypo-allergenic, anti-microbial nylon liner and cheek pads are removable and washable
-Ear cavities for speakers (Communication System or MP3 player)
-A flip up, flush fit, quick release, single turn screw facshield; the shield itself is curved, optically correct compound, which is scratch resistant and protects against UV rays
-Smoke tinted inner flip down shield with left side slide lever
-10 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead, top and rear vents
-Retention system is quick release with sewn in ECE logo
-Deluxe carrying bag
-DOT and ECE 22.05 certified
Quote:
ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.
good site that is from

http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs...rds-throwdown/

Travel photos>
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 AM
Insane Poster

Just a quick update - have some longer rides in with the AFX-55 now and very pleased

Travel photos>
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Insane Poster

Further update.

These are all the configs.

The gold iridium shield for it at $32 each is the nicest I've ever ridden with

and it looks very cool.....

visor tilt looks funny on this - have to loosen thevery nifty visor tighen system and tip it down a bit.

Travel photos>
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Insane Poster

Longer term follow-up.
Really like the helmet - comfie and stable at speed...no jittering around...

Tips.

Be a bit careful with the internal visor slider ....hard to move at times and best to do by grabbing the visor internally once you get it down enough to grab it.
Fairly easy to clean.
External visor is easy to take on and off for cleaning BUT.....put some non-hardening Lock-Tite on it or risk this

•

DUCT TAPE!!!!...a must take along touring...here's why

At the worst possible time....kid is hypothermic far far from any stop....the screw system holding the visor system on the AFX-55 sails away in the cross wind...backed itself out....so I'm riding one handed for 40 km .....hand in the cold rain holding the thing together til we hit a convenience store .....kid inhaled anything warm he could find and shivered in the corner....I did ugly with duct tape.

The visor works fine - inner and outer.

Kudos to AFX for sending two free replacements to meet us in Nanaimo

Travel photos>
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 AM
Turbo Poster

I always carry a dime on me for that exact reason, tightening my visor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.