Do You Zipper the Jacket to the Pants? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Do You Zipper the Jacket to the Pants?

I have found on the Burgman with the stock butt rest the zipper hits right on the lower back and is uncomfortable. The position in which I sit does not cause a problem with the jacket riding up or the pants riding down as on other bikes. I have actually removed the Zippers from my jackets for comfort sake. Is this common or just my jackets?

ScooteReno aka Steve-a-Reno
Basically Stock
Sheepskin Pelt
2.1 MP3 Stereo
Averaging 70mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Insane Poster

Re: Do You Zipper the Jacket to the Pants?

In answer to your title question, I don't zipper my jacket to my pants. I've never had any problem with the jacket riding up either. The other reason for zipping them together is so the jacket protects your lower back better in a crash. You give up a little bit of protection by not zipping them together. For me I'll accept that for the the ease of getting the jacket on and off.

As for the zipper causing comfort problems with the stock backrest I can't really address that. I removed the backrest soon after I purchased my first 650 to gain leg room and when I purchase my current 650 I put a Corbin seat on it. On my 400 I built a bracket to move the backrest higher up on my back and back so I have more leg room.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 134,929 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,595 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Insane Poster

I'm the same as Buffalo above, no issue here. I do zipper the jacket to my riding pants when I know I'll be on rides that involve highway speeds. It also helps in the winter to reduce any drafts going up my back.

Kory's

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Didn't even think about the protection factor.
Making it more of a modular 1 piece suit a duh moment for me.

Hmmm......You guys made me suit up and re-evaluate the coverage of the lower back in a slide. I now feel confident with the amount of overlap on my jacket and pants and the snug fit should hold them relatively in place so I will accept the risk I never thought about before. This has been a successful day as I learned something new. Thanks!
This is what I love about this forum.
captainfish likes this.

ScooteReno aka Steve-a-Reno
Basically Stock
Sheepskin Pelt
2.1 MP3 Stereo
Averaging 70mpg

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Insane Poster

On my two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter, I always do...

on my other two piece gears, I seldom do, mainly because of the short zippers and the overall design of the garments.

In really cold weather, I sometimes zipper the two pieces together to keep cold air out.

Happy Riding . . . . .

LeDude .... . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Insane Poster

Garage

I haven't zipped my pants and jacket together, but it seems interesting. I hadn't thought of the protection factor either. I'll have to see if the jacket and pants can even be zipped, since they come from two different manufacturers. But if so, it is an interesting possibility.

If they are zipped together, what's the easiest way to put them on? Like coveralls?

Chris

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Insane Poster

[facepalm]

Put your jacket and pants on like normal, then reach back there and put the two zipper ends together.

Kory's

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Insane Poster

Garage

I would be about as coordinated doing that behind my back, as trying to tie the back of one of those drafty hospital gowns they give you to wear. Actually, I'd be better at the hospital gown.

Maybe I just need a full body suit so I don't have to be coordinated.

Chris
captainfish likes this.

Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT

- 2011 Honda NT700V 30000+ miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 ( AN400K8 ) 27,389 miles (Gone, but not forgotten.)

- 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) 48,969 miles. (Gone, but not forgotten.)

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Poster

After all these years, I still have to get another nurse to fasten isolation gowns for me. I can do a perfect double-windsor with my eyes closed but I just cannot tie a bow behind my back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Insane Poster

When I do have them zipped together, I put them together first and then put them on. Like others, reaching behind the back and doing it would be a challenge.

In the last few months, I haven't been consistent with wearing the overpants and don't have them zipped together.

By zipping them together, you keep the jacket from riding up your back in the event of a spill. It could save you from some road rash. Oh, and it does help to keep the back protector in position.

gallery:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.