Helmet Life? - New Helmet Recommendations? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Helmet Life? - New Helmet Recommendations?

Well, I'm still riding in my Shoei RF-800 that I purchased about 6 years ago (I think). The helmet still looks good and I like it. However, I've noticed over the past few months that the helmet is starting to loosen up a tiny bit and is a little more noisy from what I remember.

Question 1: How long do you go between helmets and what is the recommended replacement cycle? Iíve usually scratched up my helmets or done something to them before wearing out the insides, so Iím kinda surprised Iíve kept this one as long as I have. Any reason I should be worried and ditch this one ASAP?

Question 2: Since I haven't been helmet shopping in 6 years, what is everyone recommending? I like my head, so I prefer to spend a little money on a helmet (up to $400 if needed). So, basically, I looking towards the "premium" brands. I've used Shoei and Arai in the past with good experiences. Are there any others I should be looking at?

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Re: Helmet Life? - New Helmet Recommendations?

-

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Insane Poster

I remember previous threads on this, and some people replace their helmets every single year. I'm trying to go 2 or 3 yrs. I figure that by then, a better helmet will be out anyway and it'll be worth it to upgrade. It also depends upon use. If you park it for the winter, or only go on weekend rides, I'm sure you can stretch it out to 5 yrs. However, I am doing about 8k miles a year and through all weather. I did a google on this and found:

Quote:
Helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation suggest replacement after about 5 years.

Impact protection comes from the outer shell, the styrene inner shell, and the comfort lining. The styrene inner liner crushes as it absorbs energy. The comfort liner compresses until it bottoms out against the styrene. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials, and general liner deterioration and helmet degradation can result from hair oils, body fluids, cosmetics, and normal "wear and tear."

From past experience there will probably be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, design and the standards. Therefore, regardless of wear, you will probably want to replace your helmet every five years.

Kory's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:11 PM

I have two Shoei RF-1000's (one for night with retro reflective graphics, and one for day). and I have been very happy with them. Like most better-quality helmets, they have great ventilation, are relatively quiet, and the fit is 'adjustable' through the use of different cheek pads.

Mike O.

ISO Grips
Kissan Headlight Modulator (PathBlazer)
Kissan Taillight Modulator (TailBlazer)
Clearview XL Clear
Garmin Zumo 550
MCL Resevoir RAM mounts
FIAMM Freeway Blaster (low note)
MotoLights
Oznium Mirror Turn Signal Mod
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners
, basically, I looking towards the "premium" brands. I've used Shoei and Arai in the past with good experiences. Are there any others I should be looking at?
After reading helmet reviews on webbikeworld, I'm convinced that there isn't a need to spend a small fortune on helmets. Consider all brands before making a decision.

Kory's

Why Burgman? Because the world doesn't need yet another software engineer
playing make-believe outlaw, riding a Harley in a pirate costume. -larrysb
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

I think the factors to bear in mind are:

a. Exposure to sunlight.
b. How sweaty does your head get.
c. How much do you ride?

I think anymore than 5 years is probably going a bit far and deffo replace by 6 years.

I think the replacement cost is one excellent reason not to buy at top of market and why the new rating system being introduced in the UK will help inform this important purchasing decision.

An expert = ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
AN650AL0 (new toy)
AN650K4 (Av 44mpUSG) (Sold 11/4/2010)
AN400 - 2001 (Sold 8/13/05)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Poster

Ask around your mates, and see who has had a smash, and what they were wearing. And, would they be happy to come off again in something similar. I've had high speed smashes in Arais, and am still alive. I wouldn't risk a cheaper brand, despite what people's surveys say.

I've just replaced a two year old RX7RR with a Viper. The Viper seems slightly heavier, and not significantly quieter. We've just bought my wife an RX7RR, and she's happy with that. I've had a few, with no complaints. Both have removeable inners, so you can sling them in the wash every week. If I was buying another one tomorrow, I'd go for another RX7RR. Both have the visor mechanism that allows you to take them in and out in seconds while still wearing it. Handy when it gets a bit dark and you need to put an untinted one in.

Have a look round a paddock, and see what brand is used by racers that aren't paid to wear a specific brand.

My new black Viper has lovely green and red metalflake in it.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Turbo Poster

I am very happy with my Nolan N102. When I replace it I'm planning to buy a N103. Barring unforeseen circumstances, that should be two or three years.

Everyone's head is shaped differently, and proper fit is at least as important as any other factor. If it fits you properly, and it has a DOT or SNELL approval, then go for it. Personally, I won't touch an uncertified helmet.

Chuck

Patriot Guard Rider
ATGATT
'08 650 Exec
Iso-grips w/Throttle Boss, Fehling back rest/luggage rack
True Rounder = Sub-Zero KHOF Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
----- Thomas Jefferson
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM

I live in Texas where it's still 90 plus degrees outside. I followed the advice of someone in this forum regarding comfortable helmets to wear in extreme heat and I purchased the GMAX 2008. I love that helmet. It's cool as it has about 9 or 10 vents in it. Amazingly, it is NOT noisy at all. I have speakers installed in it for my satalite radio/GPS and I hear them clear as a bell even with my visor up. I can close the extra vents for winter and I'm sure I'll do fine. This helmet is not only comfortable, but has LED lights in the back that are battery operated. I'm anal about comfort, safety and visibility and this helmet answers all three issues. Here in Texas, this helmet sells like hot cakes.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Here's a link to a really good article from the Motorcycle Safety Association about helmets: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/helmet_CSI.pdf
Bottom line: I bought a helmet at my local Suzuki dealer for $89 that meets all the requirements outlined by MSF. It's safety rated by DOT, fits well, and above all...is comfortable. You don't need to spend $400 to get a good helmet.

1973 Kawa 175, 1975 BSA Gold Star, 1975 Honda 125, 1980 Yamaha 400, 1985 Yamaha V-Max
Riding steady for 35 years, and still loving it! Avg. 53 mpg!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.