Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

HJC IS-5 Star Wars Rebel Helmet

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bluebottle 
#1 ·
I've owned my Burgman for 5 years, and have never worn a helmet, but mostly rode it in town with the occasional short out of town trip. Now I'm working ~30 miles away, and was torn between just selling it or buying a helmet to feel better about riding it on the highway regularly. This helmet just so happened to be available for preorder, and after a few weeks I finally got it last Friday.
This is my first and only helmet, so I can't compare it to anything. It fits nice and isn't as inconvenient as I thought it'd be, I just think it needs a vent or two to cool down the top of your head.

Now my wife is afraid that other ladies are gonna be all over me :grin

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
That helmet looks really scratched up. Was it a new helmet or a used "special".
Saw one in a shop this afternoon, but didn't look closely. I originally thought it was an intentional "distressed finish" but it doesn't seem quite right for that. It also doesn't look like a weekend's worth of handling or crash/drop damage, so then again maybe that's the actual paint pattern?

I'm not a big enough SW fan to get one (just blew most of my annual ATGATT budget on a Schuberth M1 this afternoon) but they ought to sell fairly well.

The one "replica" helmet I wanted and never found was one that would have looked like a military PASGT ("Kevlar") helmet but with a Snell / DOT rating. I've seen ones that look like older military helmets, but not those. Back when one would have been useful to me (I was commuting in BDUs and thought it would complement them nicely), I considered getting a basic "shorty" helmet and building it up with a breakway styrofoam/papier-mâché shell to the shape of a PASGT helmet, but never got around to it.

#5 · (Edited)
Cool looking helmet! (And anyone who likes siracha sauce is okay by me, lol)

I was asked today if wearing the helmet was heavy. I've always worn one, even when they weren't mandatory, so it just feels natural (and comfortable) to do so. JD, I hope someday it will feel as natural to you.

#6 ·
I ALWAYS wear a helmet, ALWAYS, and it is not mandatory here in Florida. Used to be, but not anymore. Those stupid knuckelheads voted it out. I see guys going down the road even on big Bikes, no helmets with their bandanas waving in the air, thinking they're looking so cool, but looking like idiots!
jdmaxima89, I am glad that you bought the helmet, and I hope it becomes second nature for you to wear it. To me it is as natural to wear it as breathing air. and like air, I couldn't do without it. in the 50 years that I have been riding motorcycles and scooters, there has never been a time that it has saved me or that I needed it for safety reasons, BUT I have seen and heard when a helmet did save someone from injury. It's only common sense to protect your noggin, as your brain bounces around inside there! If you bang your head on a concrete wall, concrete curb or bounce your head on the roadway, you will see how fragile your head is and what I mean by the importance of protecting it.
Three Cheers for jdmaxima89!

#7 · (Edited)
Join the Empire - enlist today

I love Ralph McQuarrie's artwork and film design (wouldn't actually wear it in public though)

Come to the darkside, they have full-face :)

Why do the bad guys always have the best uniforms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.