3/4 Helmet Help - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

3/4 Helmet Help

First, I fully understand full face is safer than 3/4 but not an option for me. I'm very claustrophobic and get a severe case of the heeby jeebies with a full face. With that said, I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'm leaning towards the HJC 33-IS II, Bell Mag 9, and the LS2 569. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with any of these models? And, I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better option. Thanks.

2009 650 Exec
Givi windshield,
Driver backrest mod,
Grip puppies!
Bestem 929 T-Box
Kakao Throttle Lock
Living the good life in Fort Worth TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Gustaf
I've owned the HJC 33-IS for 4 years. It's a good value and and very popular 3/4 helmet. Just beware it's for folks with round (vs oval) shaped heads.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Super Poster

Your best bet is go somewhere where they will let you try them on. I find it difficult to wear a full face helmet because I feel trapped and also have a hard time putting them on especially wearing glasses. I do however find modular helmets don't give me that feeling of being trapped and with the visor up are easy to put on even with my glasses on.
Dave_J and bearone like this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:43 AM
Insane Poster

I'm heading out to get me another 3/4 helmet soon. I much prefer to ride with my half helmet, as I am also claustrophobic. However, I just got a pair of Sena SMH5-FM Bluetooth Headsets, and I put it in my 3/4 helmet. It installs easy in there, as it clamps onto the rim of the helmet and the speakers fit inside in the ear pockets very well. But with the half helmet, there is no place to mount the speakers without sewing in a lot of leather and cloth to create pockets for the speakers. Also more wind noise. So I will just get a second 3/4 helmet, as it will be easier to install the Sena into it. And the 3/4 will be a little safer too. I can wear it with or without a face mask and visor. I'll just get whatever I can find on a good sale around here.
Here's the way that I hear that they rated the different styles of helmets according to safety.
After a severe accident:
A FULL Helmet leaves you a FULL face
A 3/4 Helmet leaves you 3/4 of a face
A 1/2 Helmet leaves you 1/2 of a face
The question is "How much of a face to you need?"
I'm pretty ugly, so I figured I could get by with half a face!
mikeyMarine likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustaf View Post
I've owned the HJC 33-IS for 4 years. It's a good value and and very popular 3/4 helmet. Just beware it's for folks with round (vs oval) shaped heads.
I note that revzilla's posting the head shapes for helmets these days. The IS 33 actually shows as a medium oval now if I recall. It's possible they may have updated 'em a bit, but as noted, tough to say without putting it on.

2k7 B650 "Ohanzee"
2k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo"
2k6 Gray B650XR "Grau Geist" - Gone
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Super Poster

I have been using Nolan helmets #n43 for years. Comes with a removable chin bar and a lower mesh panel to block wind. The field of view is far more than any full face which I really like. I use the chin bar and mesh panel mostly when I know I will be on hway for a distance. Also I choose to wear a High vis helmet color wht I think this is important. Make sure it fits properly. Nolan is a little more costly than many others But in my opinion well worth the cost.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Sena has just introduced a 3/4 helmet with the bluetooth pre fitted. i know you just bought headsets, and Sena products aren't cheap, but for the guy looking, i'd look at this new helmet. i agree with the other who suggested fitting multiple helmets as well. i've got the Sena 10S on my Arai Signet Tactical, working just fine
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Insane Poster

I would much rather buy the helmet I like and fit the Sena to it. It is easy to do and you can always move the Sena from one helmet to another if you want. Not so with a built in one.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:45 AM
Super Poster

Send a message via AIM to javajo
Quote:
Originally Posted by honsfun View Post
I have been using Nolan helmets #n43 for years. Comes with a removable chin bar and a lower mesh panel to block wind. The field of view is far more than any full face which I really like. I use the chin bar and mesh panel mostly when I know I will be on hway for a distance. Also I choose to wear a High vis helmet color wht I think this is important. Make sure it fits properly. Nolan is a little more costly than many others But in my opinion well worth the cost.
I totally agree! I have the N44 and it's the most comfortable helmet I've owned. The field of view is the widest available. An important feature is that in 3/4 mode the face-shield wraps under the chin which is SO much better! Add a Pin-lock insert and you're good for just about anything!

Chester:

Twisted Touring
:

Ride Pics:
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:04 AM
Insane Poster

I enjoy 3/4 as well and hd a Bell Mag8 for years ...I'm sure the 9 is fine.

You might want to consider this

Flip Up Helmets & Eyewear.

I'm very pleased with it over time and gives me lots of options.

Quote:
AFX FX-55 Hi-Vis Helmet
The AFX FX55 Helmet is truly modular and can be used in seven different configurations. The FX-55 is the essence of what a modular helmet can be, combining the best of fullface, dirt and open face helmets.
Features:

Aerodynamic shell design constructed using an advanced lightweight composite poly-alloy
Helmet can be configured one of seven different ways:
Helmet with standard visor, shield, and chin bar (standard configuration)
Helmet with standard visor and shield
Helmet with shield and chin bar
Helmet with shield
Helmet with standard visor
Helmet with short visor
Helmet with MX vent chin bar and standard visor

Flip-up, flush fit, quick release, single turn screw face shield
Shield is optically correct compound curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays
Smoke tinted inner flip down sun shield system with left side slide lever
Helmet liner and cheek pads made with a hypoallergenic and antimicrobial nylon, all of which are removable and washable
10 points of ventilation with chin, side, forehead top and rear vents
Retention system is quick release with sewn on ECE logo
Provides ample ear cavity space for most speaker systems
Clear coat finish to protect paint & graphic
Long term followup on the AFX-55 helmet

Bought the Helmet in June 2014 and been very pleased with the value for money and durability. I ride year round either in Australia or North America and it's been to both coasts and used pretty much daily. Visors are durable and low cost to replace and helmet has really held up well considering the price.
I generally ride with the chin bar in place a no visor. Sun visor mechanism continues to work well. Highly recommended. It's light and quiet ( stuffing the speaker pockets with sound absorbing material works the charm.)
Like the hi-Viz choices. I think with the wide angle of vision it's a good option for those that use a 3/4 ( I used to) but want a bit of chin protection. It is not a FF helmet and is very easy to get on and off even with earphones in.

The chin bar is not certified but the field of view is so large it's not noticeable

and you may find your claustrohobia is not triggered ....or just wear it 3/4

Price is right too...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-hi-vis-helmet

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS
Travel photos>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.