Looking for 4-season jacket recommendations - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Looking for 4-season jacket recommendations

I/ve currently got a Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket. It's been okay but hasn't held up like I'd like (zipper pull, some stitching coming out) and, it lacks some features I would like, in particular a built in under-the-helmet rain hood and hand warmer pockets. I want to stay under $300 and, from research I've done I seem to have zeroed in on the Olympia Richmond jacket. I've based this primarily on write specs and the Revzilla review but, customer reviews are limited. I would like 1) opinions from anyone who has actually used this jacket, particularly in all weather conditions and 2) any recommendations on alternative jackets. They don't have to be the warmest made, as I use a heated liner. Also, I prefer something with a waterproof shell, rather than a removable liner or over jacket. Thanks in advance!

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Turbo Poster

Klim makes good stuff. Pretty spendy though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Turbo Poster

I just purchased a Alpinestars Andes Drystar jacket in XXL due to my chest size of 45in. Says to get a medium, but I always know it is XL or XXL. The jacket fits me just fine in chest. But is about 2-3in too long in the sleeve. I have to curl the sleeve ends up in to itself. I even started process of shipping it back because of that, but then noticed that almost all jackets do that. I must have small arms.

The velcro at cuffs isn't large enough at the cuffs to allow me to cinch it down tight enough to keep the sleeve arms from dangling past my wrist. And, the velcro pull tab goes inward (european) (or you have to fold the pull tab down to lock the velcro, when looking at your arm in front of you. I personaly like the velcro pull tab to be on the outside of the arm and pointing outside\away from body). So kinda of hard to really bunch up the fabric in order to get good cinch. Another reason I folded the 2in or so of the cuff up.

Rode in some 30F weather one morning. Fingers got cold on the bike but I was warm with just the jacket. It has only the thermal liner and the waterproof outer later. What I don't like is that there is no velcro arm adjusters (most are going to buttons now, ugh). And it doesn't use velcro for side cinching. It has a modified belt loop thingamajig.

~What I like, it is warm. So a 3 season jacket designed for cold.
~has good venting should temps warm up.
~THe front zipper cover is split in two, top and bottom, so that you can button open the top section and allow your whole top zipper to be down and allow air flow through. I did that one afternoon when a 70sF air mass blew thru one afternoon. Kept me comfortable.
~has area above elbow to assist with bending at elbow.
~has real good fleece lining around collar and cuffs. many textiles don't do the cuffs
~has the ability to really pull the neck collar away to the side to open up for air
~zipper is of decent size and not european small.
~does have zipper on left side due to european influence. but getting used to it.
~pockets are large and has hand warmer pockets too.
~good armor on elbow and shoulders. i upgraded the back pad and put it in behind the foam insert it comes with to give me a bit more padding against the new insert when I lean up against the bike's back rest.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Super Poster

I own 4 jackets built by "JOE ROCKET" that I bought on eBay. Two are full leather, 1 is leather and textile and one is all textile. The full tex. Is my summer jacket, my leather and Tex. Is good spring and fall. The leather one with thick quilted liner is winter and one is convertible and you can zip off all he leather to expose textile. It is great for traveling when you can get any condition. Putting all that leather back on is about. 15 min job. But I love all the jackets and the quality is top notch. Now the kicker. I bought all the jackets for less than $300. And one was new. The 3 others were lightly used to like new. EBay is a great place to buy MC jackets. It goes to pass that most motorcycles are only rarely ridden, the jackets bought by those fairweather peeps are just as unused. About a year later they wind up on eBay.

Just FYI
Spike out

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Poster

I was fortunate to win an Areostich Darren Jacket. On one tour we hit everything from 104f to 36f, fog, sun, and 250 miles of rain. When I finally wear this one out I'm getting another. For summer computing a wear a mesh jacket less the temps are going to get into the high 90's, then I switch back to the Darren.

"Don't remind me of my failures I have not forgotten them" J. Browne
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Thanks for y'alls input. However, in my price range I didn't find anything to persuade me from the Olympia Richmond. Just placed an order for one as well as a Nolan N104 Evo helmet.

Darksided AN400 in Lightning Fast White •*GIVI Airflow •Side deflectors • Bestem 929 top case • 19g Dr Pulley Slider Weights • Puppies • Backrest, tunnel bag and top case mods by self

'08 650 • Clearview with vent • Kuryakyn grips • GIVI V46 top case and E21 side cases • McCruise cruise control

Better to have scooted and got lost, than to never have scooted at all.

TRAVEL STOP
Add your Travel Stops, Road/Route Comments and, Recommended Places to the Travel Stops map!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.