Ski Pants for Riding? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Ski Pants for Riding?

The temps are falling to 30 degrees F and below in NY. The air goes right through my fleece lined jeans. I'm looking for something warmer and windproof.

Has anyone tried ski pants for winter riding?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:46 PM

I went to one of those Salvation Army thrift stores and got a snowmobile suit for about $10.
Of course not the highest quality thing, but it was just the thing I needed on the way home
from a 200+ mile day trip. Sun started setting and it was getting VERY cold along with the
wind chill factor. I wore my rain gear as a wind break in the final layer and stayed toasty
warm the rest of the way home. A thin fleece Balaclava and a scarf to keep wind off of my
neck along with homemade Hippo-Hands kind of handle bar/hand covers rounded out the set up.
The snowmobile suit left plenty of room for the layers underneath. Are ski pants closer fitting?

Southeast Michigan Darkside rider

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Turbo Poster

I bought some similar to this for winter riding and I love them.Mine are only waist high I think, but they have suspenders. I highly recommend the built in suspenders on whatever you buy. I use these as a 3rd layer with sweat pants, and jeans underneath them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arctix-13...nseam/29699201

2004 Burgman 400

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Turbo Poster

The idea is certainly an economical & effective one against the cold. That said, in much the same way that I bought ski gloves to use in conjunction with glove liners, such gear isn't motorcycle specific, which means that there's always worry about the lack of protective armor against a fall. Motorcycle specific pants come with knee, shin & hip armor and that, to me, is important. Since most people go through all the trouble to protect their upper bodies & just ride around in non-protective jeans during warmer weather it does not surprise me one bit that most would not care about lower body protection even in colder weather when you could comfortably wear protective overpants. But injuring your lower body can lead to a lot of pain & misery for the rest of your life, perhaps even ensuring one will never ride again. Or worse. So think carefully about these cheap alternatives before settling on them.
Rusty J likes this.

Last edited by BurgyBill; 12-04-2016 at 08:36 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 PM
Super Poster

My cold weather gear is simple AND offers protection.
1) Thermal Long Johns
2) Bohm Underarmor
3) Deluth Fire Hose pants
4) Either ski pants, or Insulated Bib-Overalls.
and Leather Felt-pack boots by Kodiak.
And nary a shiver to be found even down to the freezing point.
ducati14 and BurgyBill like this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Super Poster

Yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
But injuring your lower body can lead to a lot of pain & misery for the rest of your life, perhaps even ensuring one will never ride again. Or worse. So think carefully about these cheap alternatives before settling on them.
I attended a conference in Toronto one time. During coffee break I was on the patio between 2 other attendees when we discovered in our conversation that two out of three of us had an artificial leg. And two out of three of us had lost our missing limb in a motorcycle accident. I was hoping that scenario was not going to jinx number three - (i.e. - me).

Let me ride 'til I croak.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:06 AM
Insane Poster

Yes, they work. I used to use a set of off-brand Carhartts coveralls as cold-weather riding gear and they were pretty effective, but a bit bulky to stow when not in use.
No, they're not better than armored pants with an insulated liner as motorcycle gear (which are, I should note, also a bit bulky to stow when not in use).

If you have a 650, you've got enough spare electrical power to run a heated suit. They work even better, and are much easier to fit under the seat when you're not using them. Not an inexpensive alternative, though -- and obviously, won't keep you warm when you're away from the bike.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...

Last edited by Rusty J; 12-05-2016 at 07:09 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
The idea is certainly an economical & effective one against the cold. That said, in much the same way that I bought ski gloves to use in conjunction with glove liners, such gear isn't motorcycle specific, which means that there's always worry about the lack of protective armor against a fall. Motorcycle specific pants come with knee, shin & hip armor and that, to me, is important. Since most people go through all the trouble to protect their upper bodies & just ride around in non-protective jeans during warmer weather it does not surprise me one bit that most would not care about lower body protection even in colder weather when you could comfortably wear protective overpants. But injuring your lower body can lead to a lot of pain & misery for the rest of your life, perhaps even ensuring one will never ride again. Or worse. So think carefully about these cheap alternatives before settling on them.
I ordered ski pants. They were not cheap. $140. No store in my area to try any kind of motorcycle clothing on. So, it is always mail order.

John
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
they work against the cold but are not designed to crash. make sure you wear some protections over or underneath it.
ducati14 likes this.

| GIVI AF266 | Denali D2| BreakAway C.C | Pillion Backrest | Sena SMH10 | Gerbings T5 & Jacket | Fehling Racks | Givi E21 | AirHawk 2 | Fender Extender | MCL Reservoir Cover | K&N Air Filter | Stebel Nautilus Horn | Zumo 350 | Drift HD Ghost |
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Poster

Yes, you could wear shin pads over top of them. And you'd be ready in case a hockey game breaks out too.
captainfish and mikeyMarine like this.

Let me ride 'til I croak.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.