Rain: I have HAD IT!!!!!! - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Rain: I have HAD IT!!!!!!

I have a River Road 2-piece rain suit and a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Both are advertised as waterproof. Both routinely leave me soaking wet after 5 minutes of moderate rain, even when wearing BOTH! Totally ridiculous. They simply do not work AT ALL.

So, I'm looking looking to buy and there is no price limit. I'm inclined to go with a one-piece, and I'm looking at an Aerostich R-3, with a base price of $1127. I'm willing to consider other options, including 2-piece options, but I'm not willing to go cheap.

If anyone knows of any options I should be seriously looking at and has some experience with quality gear, please shout it out.

Thanks (:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Insane Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to gec343
[QUOTE=AlaskaGuy;1295377]I have a River Road 2-piece rain suit and a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Both are advertised as waterproof. Both routinely leave me soaking wet after 5 minutes of moderate rain, even when wearing BOTH! Totally ridiculous. They simply do not work AT ALL.

So, I'm looking looking to buy and there is no price limit. I'm inclined to go with a one-piece, and I'm looking at an Aerostich R-3, with a base price of $1127. I'm willing to consider other options, including 2-piece options, but I'm not willing to go cheap.

If anyone knows of any options I should be seriously looking at and has some experience with quality gear, please shout it out.

Thanks (:[/QUOTE

In my opinion, difficult to beat the Aerostich. I wore the one piece suit for many years and miles, never leaked.

However, as I got older, seemed difficult to finagle into the thing. Two piece suits much easier on and off, as I'm sure your know! I sold my one piece Aerostich at a good price, but don't remember the amount! I now wear an Aerostich two piece. Two listed on Ebay, here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Roadcra...NWx5oP&vxp=mtr

2007 Burgman Executive (Lady Burgman) SOLD
2014 Burgman UH200 (Baby Burgman) 1000 miles
2010 Honda Gold Wing/ABS
1977 BMW R100/7 (bought new)
Whizzer Motorbike

Previous scooters: 52 Cushman, 58 Allstate Crusaire, Honda Elite 80

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Last edited by gec343; 02-24-2016 at 06:39 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM
Turbo Poster

I have a set of Frog Togs, not real expensive and I've NEVER gotten wet wearing them!

Heading to the islands...

--------------------------

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Insane Poster

I'm not really qualified to comment due to my location, but I do like my Frogg Toggs too. Very light weight and effective.

Maybe you should look into a one-piece rain slicker to go over your existing suit. Something like this...

Amazon.com: Motorcycle Rain Gear - One Piece Motorcycle Rain Suit RS5002 Grey XL: Automotive Amazon.com: Motorcycle Rain Gear - One Piece Motorcycle Rain Suit RS5002 Grey XL: Automotive

One thing I've noticed about good rain gear is it doesn't "breathe". They keep moisture in as much as out. Which is fine when it rains, the rest of the time, quite miserable. So a dedicated rain suit might be best. Don and doff as necessary. Plus they're cheap. Just a suggestion. Hope you find what you're looking for.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner

Last edited by Liamjs; 02-24-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Super Poster

Like other posters here, I love my Frogg Toggs which are a two piece but I have never gotten wet wearing them.... other than a little dribble down the neck if I don't get it up tight to the helmet edge.

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Super Poster

In my opinion, difficult to beat the Aerostich. I wore the one piece suit for many years and miles, never leaked.

However, as I got older, seemed difficult to finagle into the thing. Two piece suits much easier on and off, as I'm sure your know! I sold my one piece Aerostich at a good price, but don't remember the amount! I now wear an Aerostich two piece. Two listed on Ebay, here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Roadcra...NWx5oP&vxp=mtr[/QUOTE]

I have had been wearing Aerostich Darin jacket and pants for several years, I have ridden from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara in rain and stayed completely dried.

2011 Burgman 650
42000 mi.
"Don't remind me of my failures, I have not forgotten them." J Browne
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
So a dedicated rain suit might be best.
I have a dedicated rain suit now (River Road Tempest). Doesn't even keep me dry for 5 minutes when it rains.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...piece-rainsuit

TOTALLY WORTHLESS!!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:10 AM
Insane Poster

Are you sure that it's not your own sweat condensing on the inside of the rain suit which makes you wet?

Within the last year or so, I have begun to sweat much more than before, so wearing clothes which do not breathe makes me soaking wet.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Insane Poster

Aerostitch is quality but if you cannot take advantage of the need for it there are plenty of others that work. Your First Gear and River Road items should have worked and are probably guaranteed if a recent purchase. As they get older they tend to leak in heavy rain. I have never had Olympia to leak and for a rain suit the Frog Toggs doesn't seem to leak but wont help in cold weather.

The most versatile is the multi piece (vented jacket, waterproof liner, insulated liner) that work all year.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Insane Poster

And for even colder weather you can add a heated liner underneath.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.