Helmet maintenance - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Helmet maintenance

Yes.
I have an HJC 3/4 with flip up visor. It is very noisy (wind noise). So I wear foam earplugs.
One day, I noticed how loose the visor was. The tiny mounting screws were loose. What a difference after I tightened them. Can't wait to test it on a long trip

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
2008 red B400
OTHER vehicles- 1997 Saturn SL, 2002 Haro mountain bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
With this can you is locktight? or something of that nature to prevent them from backing out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SpunN Style
1997-2014 United States Army A/R/SO JFK
Never forgotten, never forgive
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Gray 20,252 Miles (Love it!)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 04:34 PM
Turbo Poster

I have a problem with a new HJC IS-33ll helmet. I purchased the model ll because I liked the original model but it's getting wore out. My old helmet fits like an old shoe. The size is XL. Being the same company and the same model I was sure it would fit the same. WRONG! I can hardly pull the straps apart to fit it on. Hopefully it will stretch some. Anyone else have this problem? How long did it take till it fit comfortably. 2XL fits better but it might stretch and end up to large.

Givi V46 top case with Admore LED tail/stop/directional signals
Modulator headlights
Break-Away cruise control
Hyper stoplight to replace reflector under the license plate
Oznium LED's
Utopia backrest
Garmin Nuvi 1490 GPS with Ram mount
Cramp Buster
X-Large Clearview windscreen

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Insane Poster

The only maint that I do to my Bilt Helmet is spray a little fabreeze in it once in a while.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Insane Poster

New helmets are supposed to be quite snug. They will compress a bit with time. But if you've worn it daily for a week or so and its still too tight, it might be too small. Helmets are just one of those things you have to try on beforehand.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
The only maint that I do to my Bilt Helmet is spray a little fabreeze in it once in a while.
Consider using Lysol or its equivalent (a trick I picked up from a ski rental shop), and let it air out a while afterwards. You want to knock out bacterial/fungal growth, not just the odors they cause.

For helmets with removable liners, remove them periodically and wash with Woolite (or other laundry soap specifically for hand-wash/delicates) then air-dry.
Wozfromoz likes this.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
For years I used baby shampoo as recommended by many posters in earlier threads. I found that after soaking them overnight and rinsing the heck out of them, that it wouldn't be long, (a month or so), before I had to do it again as I ride every day. I bought a spare set of liner/pads to switch off to while the other liner and pads were drying. I have other helmets but you know how it is, everyone has their favorite. It has been about a year since I have been trying something different with much success. Having the other liner around as a spare emboldened me to use my own detergent concoction. If it weakened or destroyed it, well then I would know why others recommended mild soaps. I got a steel tureen (or bucket) and filled it 1/4 way with hot water at just over 140 degrees and added a good squirt of Dawn Ultra dws, and about 1 ounce of Arm & Hammer with OxyClean. It doesn't get much more brutal than that. I shake the parts around for a few minutes and then spray them all down with hydrogen peroxide, working it in and respraying. Then everything goes back into the soak for about 12 hours. Then it is just a good workout, rinse and set out to air dry on a rack. I can go for months without noticing anything offensive (less than that in the summer would be a good guess. As you can see, I am done pussyfootin' around with these things. I want them clean and sanitized even if they do not last long, but so far I see no evidence of degrading. I have, at times, extended the time between washing with Febreeze which works well if you can stand the fragrance. For me, the less fragrance, the better. One more thing. I believe a long soak is best as the water is more grungy as compared to 10 minutes of washing. Not just darker due to some of the dye leeching out, but you can see more stuff that sinks to the bottom and rises to the top and floats. So far, this works well for me.
captainfish likes this.

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Nelson Rigg 850 Saddle Bags
Boulevard C50T K8
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Insane Poster

I wear Shoei and have no problems. With an HJC I got with a bike trade I found the front to constantly loosen up. I know they have improved but probably wouldn't buy one for this reason.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Super Poster

Helmets, him? Well I have three, two half helmets, one white one high gloss black. The black one I'm using now, the white one I use when the temperature gets above 75'. The third is a 3/4 and I just put it away till fall. A helmet should fit snugly to your head. As for cleaning I just spray with Lysol let air dry then put away and use a different one. I also wear a skull cap under my helmets which does two things. One is it absorbs swet, two it keeps all the hair that is falling out from collecting in the helmet. So do what you will with this information. Good luck... Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68...till tomorrow
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I have a problem with a new HJC IS-33ll helmet. I purchased the model ll because I liked the original model but it's getting wore out. My old helmet fits like an old shoe. The size is XL. Being the same company and the same model I was sure it would fit the same. WRONG! I can hardly pull the straps apart to fit it on. Hopefully it will stretch some. Anyone else have this problem? How long did it take till it fit comfortably. 2XL fits better but it might stretch and end up to large.
I've had about 4 HJCs, and all fit like a different helmet. Better a bit to tight then a bit to loose though.
Marv likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.