What type of helmet do you use? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

What type of helmet do you use?

I'll be getting a Burgman 650 soon. Along with saddlebags and some other things, the most important piece of equipment I'm looking at getting is a helmet.

On the superficial end of the spectrum: I do not want to get a helmet that says "I'm trying to be a biker". I want something good and comfortable, and also something that looks right on a scooter. I like the idea of a modular helmet where I can have an open-face while putzing around town (I live in the city) but something that offers good protection while touring.

Maybe I should add that I would like to get bluetooth headsets for my GF and I so we can chat while on long rides or I can listen to music while riding solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is what I have in orange. Great also for those like me that wear glasses.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-hi-vis-helmet

Mike
Black 09 650 Exc Bought 3/30/13 7350 miles, grip puppies & Bearcat backrest.
Darksided 5/8/16 33,215 miles Bridgestone 165/60r-14
07 400 bought 6/08 with 500 miles sold with 46,818 miles 3/23/13
First bike new 1966 blue Honda 175 Scrambler
Romans 10:9
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
I'll be getting a Burgman 650 soon. Along with saddlebags and some other things, the most important piece of equipment I'm looking at getting is a helmet.

On the superficial end of the spectrum: I do not want to get a helmet that says "I'm trying to be a biker". I want something good and comfortable, and also something that looks right on a scooter. I like the idea of a modular helmet where I can have an open-face while putzing around town (I live in the city) but something that offers good protection while touring.

Maybe I should add that I would like to get bluetooth headsets for my GF and I so we can chat while on long rides or I can listen to music while riding solo.
I can only recommed from experience; I have a GMAX 54s and my wife has a Scorpion exo-900. Fit for either will depend on your head; you should really try them out (as with all helmets). Both are modular with internal flip down sun visors.

The GMax also comes as a snowmobile helmet and all the parts for converting from one to another so it's a good winter helmet. As a matter of fact, all the parts, down to the screws, are available; the reason I know this is that the main external screws should be take out and reinstalled with threadlock lest they loosen and fall out. There also is a dual layer visor (not pinlock) that I used last winter; it's very effective.

In addition, there is the matter of the rear light; as it comes, there is a light on the back of the helmet that is steady or one of several flashing patterns. There is also an optional light that has a transmitter that ties into you brake electrical line and wirelessly activates the light. The more light the better.

The Scorpion exo-900 is convertable to a 3/4 helmet with visor or you can use it as a modular. The is a pin-lock visor available. Past that, I can say that my wife likes it. It also has a place for a bluetooth rig, but it's only one type and you generally want the same type bluetooth unit for all helmets.

They're both kinda plain looking, but I couldn't afford a Ruby; now I certainly can't.

Ny wife and I have two Cardo Scala Rider G9x bluetooth units - my general impression is that the industry has a long way to go. Different brands generally do not talk to each other; even Sena which offers an 'universal intercom' has a downside in that it uses a bloetooth channel to make a connection. The intercomm part of the G9x works pretty well, but it's an all or nothing switch; when the intercomm is active the music is off. Sena may be different but I couldn't attest to that. The bluetooth music connection cuts out brom time to time and I haven't figured out why. We got a deal on a pair of G9x's - If I was paying retail, I'd probably go with a Sena 10 model.

I'd be interested to hear other's experiences.

"Yes, I ride a scooter and frankly, my dear, I don't give a d***

Red Molly - '07 Candy Sonoma Red Burgman 650
Scarlett - '08 Candy Sonoma Red Burgman 400
'06/'10 Red/Black Yamaha Vino 49 - gone to a different home - it'll be missed

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
I have a Schuberth C3 Pro (modular) helmet with their SRC communcations (bluetooth) system for music, gps, intercom, etc. I find that it is an outstanding setup.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Poster

Helmets are such a personal thing and everyone's head shape is different. Personally, I have two helmets, both Shoei because for whatever reason, the Shoei design shape really fits my head comfortably, even on 12 and 14 hour riding days.
One other thing to look for in any helmet, and Shoei does have this is a fully removeable liner so that you can wash/clean it to keep it fresh. Also many brands have replacement cheek-pads of varying thicknesses so that you can get a perfect fit and comfort.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 PM
Super Poster

Shoei GT Air and Shoei RF 1200

If you have a Cycle Gear store near you, you can try on a bunch of helmets. You only have 1 head. Make sure you buy a good helmet.
Hussein Adil and GoBigGray like this.

Grey 2011 Burgman 650 Exec - Lucille
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clearview windshield with Adjustable Vent
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brake Away Throttle Lock
Best Back backrest
GIVI E55 Maxia III top case
Admore E55 brake lighting
Joe Florida Scooter 72 Multi-Color LED Kit
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Garage
I started with a modular helmet, but after looking at the latch mechanism, it seems to me that it would not stay down if much force was applied to it. Thin steel latches and small steel pins. So I now wear a full face. Personally, I wear an HJC FG-17, but try on several and see what fits you and your GF. I installed the Sena FMH5 Bluetooth in our helmets and they work well.

Last edited by FredW; 06-19-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: grammar
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Super Poster

If there is in fact a Cycle Gear close to you I'd look hard a buying a helmet from them. They have a 7 day return policy. I'm not affiliated in any way with Cycle Gear but that 7 day trial offer is pretty neat. I bought a $100 full coverage helmet and found that it was so loud at highway speed I needed ear plugs, but it was mine as there are no returns of helmets at my local dealership. I ended up with a Shoei Qwest which I really like, I guess the adage is true " Ya get what ya pay for". $400 and danged nice helmet ( Didn't buy it from Cycle Gear, this was before I knew they existed).

Greg

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it limits

2009 Burgman 650
1973 CB750
1974 RD350 needs restoration
1976 GT380 needs restoration
1972 U7E Yamaha
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredW View Post
I started with a modular helmet, but after looking at the latch mechanism, it seems to me that it would not stay down if much force was applied to it. Thin steel latches and small steel pins. So I now wear a full face. Personally, I wear an HJC FG-17, but try on several and see what fits you and your GF. I installed the Sena FMH5 Bluetooth in our helmets and they work well.
April 17th I hit the concrete barrier doing 70+ MPH. My gear took a licken. I was wearing a Modular VEGA Summit ll and it took a few hard shots but the mechanism stayed latched. Most latches have been tested.

I bought a replacement modular Gmax 54S Max in Large size and it fits nice. The drop down sun visor will help when I get back on the road. Hummmm, wonder if they make a Rain Filter visor as a Sun visor is wasted up here in the Great NorthWet.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Shoei Neotech.. I also have an F5 Interphone Bluetooth rig attached..that gives me my telephone and FM radio

Finding a new way home from work every day

Bikes: 2012- Burgman 650 Exec.. (White) Givi E 55 top case , BrakeAway Throttle control, Garmin Zumo 665 with Interphone F5 Headset, Corbin seat with back rest; Laminar Lip
sold: 2009-2012 MP3 500 (Demon Red)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.