Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

WOOHOO just filled up for $2.99 a gallon

6K views 88 replies 24 participants last post by  dkesterson 
#1 ·
I know its not much of a savings when your talking about filling up a Burgman but its the principal of the thing. Plus got my highest mpg ever at 56.

#3 ·
56 is your highest? Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that's a tad low for "highest". Its an okay city riding only average, but you should be Able to reach 60 or so on a nice country road doing 55mph.

#5 ·
I know about the sucky milage. I don't know if I'm part of the problem, I'm 6'4" and about 260lbs so I think I may hold back the mileage and also here where I live its extreme start-stop-start traffic....

#7 ·
I weigh 250 lbs but not quite as tall but broad in the shoulder and the worst I ever got around town was 56.4. The best I ever got was 61.3 and my average is 58.8. Stop and go traffic is probably more to blame. I did an experiement one time on my old Zuma scooter and if I used the main drags with lots of stop lights my MPG went down a good 10% from my normal route.

Oh and gas here is as low as $2.98 right now. This isn't the first time it dipped like this either in the last month or so.

#10 ·
That's funny, we're :D when we pay under $3 for something that could really cost a buck or two with more competition and less regulation... the modern reality I guess.

My mom thinks she's saving a ton when gas drops 3 cents. That's less than 1% really.

Yeah it's nice to ride a day on 3 gallons, in Burgerland.

#13 ·
Venezuela here i come .....
I just need to do a few things first ...
convince the wife! (unless of course they are cheap there to)
ship all my toys there ..(that's a least three shipping containers loads )
Sell every thing else ASAP and cheaply (that includes the wife refer to line 3 ) as the standered of living is lower there than here
Get all my shots (don,t want to die of some exotic disease )
OK this is starting to sound some what more difficult than first though ...(may be i will enquirer about the wife thing first and see about the rest later) :)

#16 ·
Growing up in Wilmington, Delaware I remember my dad filling up the huge gas tank of the station wagon with three bucks. Fuel ranged between 18 and 25 cents per gallon back then. Of course if you were making $10k/year you were considered rich too.

I also remember the mid-70s when everyone (myself included) was having a fit when the price almost doubled to 50 cents a gallon. Paid $3.11 this morning and felt I got a good deal.

#20 ·
I was addressing QM....my point was the government has to get their taxes from somewhere...it's not like you're getting away with not paying them. New Hampshire has the 3rd highest property tax in the nation. They charge both at the local and state level.

"I figure we're all paying the MAN one way or another."

#21 ·
Attached I've included a map of the price of gas across the country...there's almost a dollar
difference comparing one state to another...anyone see a correlation between the states with the higher gas prices and those with the lower? (Hint: Think red state vs blue states)

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

#24 ·
Attached I've included a map of the price of gas across the country...there's almost a dollar
difference comparing one state to another...anyone see a correlation between the states with the higher gas prices and those with the lower? (Hint: Think red state vs blue states)

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx
When you look at the map of state gas taxes part of that difference becomes obvious.

#23 ·
$2.73 and looks to still be dropping.

#25 ·
#33 ·
We may have beautiful weather down here in Florida, but today was the first time in years that I saw gas creep below the $3 mark. Thanks for the graphic on state gas taxes!

#35 ·
As they say your mileage may differ. I live at 3500 feet elevation and regularly get 56 - 58 mpg with my 650. Then again I live out in the country, so I ride 20+ miles at 55mph AND I drive like an old farmer, sooooo I get pretty decent mileage. The best I've ever gotten is 63 MPG running at 60mph with a 20mph tailwind, absolutely amazed me.
Greg

#37 ·
$2.68 at Weigel's in Seymour, TN (with their card that gives $0.10 off a gallon) on Saturday. Friend had $2.63 at a Weigel's near him in Lenoir City, TN.

I never thought I would see it below $3 a gallon and expected to be nearer $4 or $5 in future.

Maybe, energy policy is working (less carbon, more wind, etc. and cars with better fuel mileage, plus more oil from USA). However, fracking worries me (screw up water table for cheaper gas). Who Knows what to believe.

#39 ·
Maybe, energy policy is working (less carbon, more wind, etc. and cars with better fuel mileage, plus more oil from USA). However, fracking worries me (screw up water table for cheaper gas). Who Knows what to believe.
Oil prices are low because we{North America - USA and Canada} are finally up in production.

The less carbon thing has nothing to do with it. If anything it has slowed this and made oil more expensive. We are producing so much oil right now and prices are so low that OPEC is about to have a cow. As to whether fracking is hazardous or not is still up for debate. However much of the fear is overblown and media driven rather than based on any facts.

#38 ·
Just checked the gas prices here in the Nashville area as we are having a gas "war" going on . The price is as low as $2.60 per gallon at an Exxon station close by. But it doesn't come close to what I paid in 1972 when I lived in Texas and it got down to 9.9 cents per gallon.

#40 ·
I read yesterday that it was the lhighest production since 1985. That's nearly 30 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.