Question about roller weights - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Question about roller weights

So I am at 16+ on the CVT belt and have ordered it. I figured "What the ****...I'll replace the roller weights as well." Now I'm curious, I was looking at Malossi Variator weights and they seem to vary between 16g and 21g. I am more interested in fuel economy and smoothness. So I would want the higher weight rollers correct? Is there that big of a difference between weights in fuel economy and smoothness in riding?

DR Pully was also highly recommended, and since I'm to poor not to have quality I want to make sure I make a wise investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2011 Honda NT700V, 2008 Burgman 400
Garage
Default Re: Question about roller weights

The higher weight rollers will give you better fuel economy. There's a limit though in how practical you can make that.

I was given the opportunity by Dennis49 a couple years ago to try some 23 gram Dr. Pulley weights. I could literally see my MPG climbing on the freeway ...but I had a lot of vibration at lower speeds that made me so uneasy about the effect on the drivetrain that I pulled them back out within a couple miles. It was like always being in way to high a gear on a car with a manual transmission.

Another place you get vibration from is the weights not moving smoothly. Even the rollers don't roll. They slide. If they don't wear evenly, they get flat spots on them. As this gets worse and the inside of the variator gets gunked up with belt dust, you'll get more and more vibration...in other words loose the "smoothness".

Malossi weights probably work great, but they are the same technology as the OEM weights. The only difference is the ability to chose a different weight. A nice part about the Dr. Pulley weights is they give you a benefit at low speeds and at high speeds. You'll find your rpms will jump about 500 at low speeds, which will help on your search for smoothness. A better benefit IMHO, is the drop at highway speeds in your rpms. I find my 19 gram DPS weights bring my rpms at 70 mph indicated to about 5300. With the OEM weights, that was closer to 6800. The engine still felt "smooth" with the OEM weights, but once you've felt the more relaxed feel of the DPS weights, you won't want to go back. It's like having the best of the 16 gram roller weight and the 21 gram roller weight.

Chris

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

you can see what 18g and 23g sliders can do in my videos....

[youtube:19bw5i0d]VgOQe_hBGuk[/youtube:19bw5i0d]

[youtube:19bw5i0d]Ge5061MRcjE&feature=relmfu[/youtube:19bw5i0d]
micbergsma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

You really see that vibration at the beginning of the second video. Based upon the info so far then increasing the weights only by about 2 grams over stock should provide me with the smoothness I seek as well as increased MPG. Man you learn things ever day here.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

yeah 23g give bike a little vibrate than 18g but not bothering me and not really a big deal
Been using 23g over a year and half... really like it... but if live with a lot of steep roads and mountains, I would go for 18-19... where I go don't have crazy steep roads so 23g is fine with me...
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbergsma
yeah 23g give bike a little vibrate than 18g but not bothering me and not really a big deal
Been using 23g over a year and half... really like it... but if live with a lot of steep roads and mountains, I would go for 18-19... where I go don't have crazy steep roads so 23g is fine with me...

I live in Florida (I actually live on the 6th highest spot in Florida which is nearly 300 feet above sea level) so hills and mountains are not an issue. I also travel about 70 miles round trip at mostly highway speeds back and forth to work. So using my logic a roller weight around 20g or so should be exactly what the doctor ordered.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

awesome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.