tipover (or is it tip over) sensor - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default tipover (or is it tip over) sensor

OK - my K9 shut off again today during a right turn (I don't think it's ever done it during a left turn). It hasn't done it at a stoplight/sign like the other posts on shutdowns read.

Does anyone have any experience with the tipover (or is it tip over - one or two words) sensor? I'll check the sidestand switch, but this is rather unpredictable as to when it happens.

As I said, it only happens on actual right turns (except once when I was getting ready to turn right) - never on a left turn. The idle seems strong. No, the turns are not hard (steep lean angles).

Thanks,

Bruce

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
happytech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage
Default Re: tipover (or is it tip over) sensor

Nope!! Never had it happend on Left Or Right turns, But when i Broke Me leg last year in October, when the Bike fell Over on it's Side Left side the Engine Did turn Off.....

it was off when the bike came to a draging Sliding end atleast 12 Feet , Notice when the sliding stoped engine was off. Not sure when it shut Down.

Not sure where the Tip Over Sensor is, it could be inside the ECU...

Gary L,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to v8eyedoc

Many scooters as well as motorcycles have what is termed - A TIP OVER SHUT OFF.when the machine goes beyond a certain number of degrees from vertical - the switch is activated........perhaps beyond 45-50 degrees.......!!!!!!!!! To see how far you can tip the scoot over before the cut out switch is activated - simply start the scoot ( with side stand up!) and start tipping it to one side....!!! You will find out quickly enough.!!!
55 HD KHK
98 Boss Hoss
2 GSXR-1000's

PRESENTLY OWN:
01 Honda GL1800
08 Burgman AN400 Coocase colormatched handguards heated grips Denali lights
"PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS"
"RIDE WHEN IT'S SUNNY - WORK WHEN IT RAINS"
v8eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

To see how far you can tip the scoot over

It's Risky with the weight of these things you better be good and strong..

Gary L,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

GARY L. - I have picked up my Honda Goldwing GL1800 - which weighs close to 1,000 lbs......!!!!!!! I saw the video online of a 95 lb woman picking up her Golwing.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just back up to the bike or scooter placing your butt against it - grab 1 handlebar - and another grab point.... bend your knees and use the strength of your legs (not upper body!) AND walk backwards........!!!!!!!! Works every time and I have done it 4 times so far.............
55 HD KHK
98 Boss Hoss
2 GSXR-1000's

PRESENTLY OWN:
01 Honda GL1800
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8eyedoc
Many scooters as well as motorcycles have what is termed - A TIP OVER SHUT OFF.when the machine goes beyond a certain number of degrees from vertical - the switch is activated........perhaps beyond 45-50 degrees.......!!!!!!!!! To see how far you can tip the scoot over before the cut out switch is activated - simply start the scoot ( with side stand up!) and start tipping it to one side....!!! You will find out quickly enough.!!!
My own view is a switch like that would be dangerous. If there were one, surely there would be mention in the hand book.
I reckon, from the OP's post that the side stand switch is loose or faulty or dirt there and not making contact properly; he di say mainly right hand turns which would tend to confirm this. My tip over shut off switch would be the cut off switch on the right side handlebar
greenyaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

dropped mine on the right side once (first time ) of course at 0 mph,, rh turn tip over worked engine cut off , cussing sswitchkicked in as advertised, dropped her again on rt side , 0 mph reverse bank stop feet down, flop just like cartoon , engine ran cussing ran too ,
last time was left side slow speed left turn signal on, moving in a go slow for a left turn , started turn woman on cell phone in cage started to pass on left, cussing switch kicked in first I think, not sure , anyway bars hard right and on throttle and i went down left side ?? engine didn't shut off , neither did cusser , Thank God for full face helmet so she couldn't hear what I was saying about her unmarried single sex underage 22 chromosome single parent both side heritage
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

There is one ok and it is a separate switch it will not operate when the scooter is moving and turning
fast due to centrifugal force, if its the switch that is the problem once tripped you have to turn the ignition
off and then restart with the scooter upright ie it wont just restart by pressing the start button.
But for this switch a fuel injected scooter could keep running on its side till it seized or if the throttle
was held open did some other damage.
Ralph M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph M
There is one ok and it is a separate switch it will not operate when the scooter is moving and turning
fast due to centrifugal force, if its the switch that is the problem once tripped you have to turn the ignition
off and then restart with the scooter upright ie it wont just restart by pressing the start button.
But for this switch a fuel injected scooter could keep running on its side till it seized or if the throttle
was held open did some other damage.
Thanks Ralph............................
55 HD KHK
98 Boss Hoss
2 GSXR-1000's

PRESENTLY OWN:
01 Honda GL1800
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Poster

Yup, both the 400 and the 650 have a TO Sensor. On the 650 it seems to be near wiring under the windshield. Troubleshooting steps are in the service manual. It works on lean angles of 65 degrees or more.
2005 Majesty 400 - Dark Metallic Blue, Yamaha touring windshield (sold February 2012)
<charter member of scooter addictions anonymous>
azrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.