Battery help! - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Battery help!

I have a 2008 Burgman 400 that I haven't ridden much since last summer. I have a cheap trickle charger that I have always used to charge the battery after it sits all winter (The scooter has always been in a garage that stays around 50 all winter). In the past the charger has worked fine to get the battey working normally again.

A few months ago we had some warm days here, so I charged the battery and it worked fine. Then I didn't turn it on since then until I tried to yesterday. It wouldn't start at all, so I took the battery back out and charged it overnight as usual. This time nothing happens. It's like the battery is dead. Now when I hook the battery back up to the charger, the charger makes a funny pulsing sound like going to explode or something. I never heard that before. But I still see some sparks when I hook up the + terminal from the charger, so I'm not sure if the charger is defective or not.

Should I buy a better charger like this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-PKC0CT-Intel ... 073&sr=1-1

This would tell me if the battery has any charge, but I'm not sure if I could use this to actually jumpstart the scooter. My car is a Prius, so I don't think I can jumpstart anything using that type of car. I would like the option of being able to start the scooter so I could take it to the dealer if necessary.

Do you guys agree that I should get a different charger first? if so, what kind would you recommend that could tell me the condition of the battery and also jumpstart the scooter?

If I do need to get a new battery, what is the best price online? The battery has the number FTZ9-BS on it, but I can't find a battery for sale that matches that number.

Sorry if these are stupid questions! I really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

BTW, I have not had the recall service yet, but I don't think that's related since it was working fine last year and I only have 1,888 miles on it in the 3 years I have owned it.

Ernest
purduefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage
Default Re: Battery help!

Well, If the Charger Sparks when you Connect the - + Contacts then theres nothing wrong with the Charger, It may be the Battery thats Dead P.S Did you unplug the battery for the winter if you did not
then that battery is DEAD, the Burgman 400 Uses Power even when the Bike is Dormant, The Rectifier uses Power and the Battery Backed up Clock, When you winter the Bike you Unplug Both terminals,
And Check the Fuse Bus on your Right Side ,it's a Green 30'Amp.

But if you need a new battery, MottoBatt MBTX9U is what you need.

And take it to a Auto Store Auto-zone if you have one there and have them Test it, It's Free.

Another way to test your battery is a Hologen Builb.

Gary,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Really? Just touch a halogen bulb to both ends and see if it lights up? Interesting. I'll give that a try.

It has appeared completely dead at least 3 times in the past 3 winters, and I was able to get it working again with the trickle charger.

I'll look up that part number. Do you have a recommendation on the best online dealer to use?

I appreciate the quick reply!

Ernest
Old 04-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via AIM to tsc3047 Send a message via MSN to tsc3047 Send a message via Yahoo to tsc3047

First that is pretty decent life span out of a battery. Second the more they get fully discharged the greater the chance they will not recharge or you get a dead cell. Also some of those automatic chargers will give a false charged indication on a battery that is toast.

2008 Burgman 400 Black: Suzuki Sport Windshield, Suzuki Passenger Backrest, DynoJet Power Commander III, DPS Weights 16g, NGK Iridium Plug, K&N Air Filter, Custom memory foam seat, Mobil 1 Oil and K&N Oil Filter.

Today's Advice: Beware of the Hit Clutch
tsc3047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

So far I have found this:

http://bikebatts.amazonwebstore.com/MBT ... YMSWX8.htm

Is this the right battery and the best price I'm likely to find? Shipping is $11.00.

Ernest
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

I would also recommend you get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/general-me ... 90899.html

It's cheap, not hard to figure out how to use, and is useful in a lot of different situations.

A good battery with nothing draining should read at least 12 volts. Measure first with the bike turned off. 12 volts? Then turn the ignition on. Still got 12? Press the starter button. If you still have 12 volts but the bike doesn't turn over, you've got a broke bike. If the voltage drops below about 10 while cranking, or even 11 with just ignition on, your battery is bad (if it been on a working charger).

And you can check your charger too. If you check the voltage on the leads with no battery connected, it might read 18 volts or more (depends on the charger). Hooked to a usable battery, it should be at least 13 volts.

Wayne

Givi screen, DPS 18gram, Yoshimura exhaust

Wayne
wa9w00d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Save yourself a few bucks and possibly a couple of days wait time on the battery. Contact the guys at http://www.motobatt.com and tell them you are from BurgmanUSA. They give dealer pricing to BurgmanUSA members and ship out USPS priority mail. Use the 800-226-4508 number (as the one of the website was incorrect) and ask to speak to Carl or Randy.
"Yes, I ride it all year round. No, I'm not insane. I'm poor. With insane, you get free room and board."
billmeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Ernest
Dumb question but did you get the recall for your 2008 scooter about the rectifier?
Chet_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Bike Type: 08 AN400

I also have a 2008 and had the recall done on it and now it runs great my battery was damaged and I had a new one put in and it's holding a charge now. Hope you took yours in for the recall what a differents now that it's fixed.
SPRINGHILLFUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.