Givi Airflow windshield - installed! - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Givi Airflow windshield - installed!

I have a Yamaha Majesty with a Givi windshield that I had gotten used to. Since I bought it used with the Givi I had no way to compare it with a stock Majesty windshield. Then I bought my Burgman. It too was used, but came with a stock windshield and I soon hated it. Compared to riding my Majesty with the Givi riding the Burgman was terrible. The wind noise was deafening and the buffeting to my head and my shoulders was terrible. The windshield flexed from side to side which only increased those effects. In a crosswind the windshield acted as a sail and tried to drag the bike all over. Even with the hand guards the wind tried to go up my sleeves. Did I mention the buffeting? At 30 MPH I couldn't hear the engine; at 60 MPH I could barely think the wind was howling so much.

Thanks to Daboo (Chris) and his sacrifice in testing the Givi Airflow (AF266 for the AN400), along with the others who also took a chance and posted the results, I though that maybe the Airflow would be my solution, too. So, I did some more research away from this board and found some BMW riders who also liked the Airflow along with some other information. Then I took the plunge and ordered one for myself. Some more research followed that included finding three You Tube videos on installing it. Last Thursday I removed the hand guards and the stock windshield and got everything ready. Here are the You Tube videos:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL9wkZgH ... re=related
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eA3wcz0ILk
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSYUEcR ... re=related

On Friday I installed the Airflow with the usual problems, for me, including dropping a bolt on the floor and not being able to find it until I moved the bike and needing at least one more hand at various times. Note that the instructions are a little vague. For tools I used a 3mm and a 4mm hex wrench, a 10mm box end wrench and a Philips #2 screwdriver. As per the videos I installed the brackets via the upper windshield holes first using a spring clamp to hold everything together. A little soap and water mix on the rubber gasket makes it easier to insert. Tighten snugly; do not apply great force.

There are three holes on each side for mounting windshields. Each hole has a rubber plug in it. Those plugs have a nut inside at the end that the bolts screw into. When the bolts are tightened the rubber is compressed and expands out to hold everything in place. They also help to absorb vibration. On the bottom hole on each side the rubber plug goes through the Givi windshield just like it did on the stock windshield. The stock bolts and washers are also used on these. For the upper two holes on each side the rubber plugs go in first with the bracket on top. The metal spacers fit into the holes of the brackets with the windshield on top of the bracket. Then the washer is put on top and bolt inserted through and tightened snugly, but not too tight. Again, a little soap and water mix on the rubber plugs makes them easier to insert and it soon dries out leaving everything good to go. However, be very, very careful putting the rubber plugs in as they have a tendency to suddenly shoot through all the holes and wind up somewhere inside the front of your Burgman, lost until you can dig them out.

After I got done installing the Airflow, and the body panels were back on, I naturally had to take the Burgman for a test spin. On Saturday I did some more testing. The results were that I could have been on a different bike! With the upper screen in its lowest position I could hear my engine at 30 MPH. When I found my personal upper screen sweet spot, about an inch below the maximum height, I could hear the engine at 60 MPH, the fastest I've gone so far since the install! The wind noise and the buffeting were all but gone, too; just some gentle reminders on mu shoulders that I was pushing air around. I found some light crosswinds, but they did nothing to the bike. I could feel them hit my body, but there was no longer the sail effect the stock windshield created and the bike remained stable. Wind deflection around my hands was better than with the hand guards; the air stream was both higher and further out to the sides, no longer tried to get up my sleeves. The Burgman grin is back!

Oh, don't try to move the upper screen to its top position while going down the road at 40 MPH; unpleasant things can happen.

2008 Suzuki Burgman AN400 w/body deflectors, rear rack & bungee hooks; Givi Airflow, Stebel horn,
Utopia backrest, SpeedoHealer & turn signal buzzer; LED tail/brake/turn signal lamps & license plate bolts and retroreflective tape!
Old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Re: Givi Airflow windshield - installed!

At the risk of spoiling the joke, the reason for the last comment is there's no "stop" at the top of its travel, and it pulls completely out easily, whereupon you'd be trying to hold onto it in a 40 MPH wind.

The clamping system is simple and secure, with the clamps engaged, it's not going anywhere.
09burgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2011 Honda NT700V, 2008 Burgman 400
Garage

I realized that on my trip to the North Cascades Highway. Repositioning the upper spoiler at all is not recommended by Givi while riding. Naturally, I couldn't resist it. At least I recognized the danger of raising it prior to watching it said away in the wind. I stuck to lowering the upper portion while riding, and even that had me a little nervous in case it should catch the right gust of wind and fly away.

I've been getting better gas mileage since installing it, and I wonder if the reason is simply the Givi AIRFLOW. I wouldn't buy a new windshield just to get better gas mileage, but it is a nice benefit.

I'm glad you had a good experience with the windshield. Your description of the installation and review of the ride with it was great. Thanks.

Chris

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

Chris,i see you have your new Givi Airflow windshield how about a Picture of it on your Bike,, will love to see what it looks like.. when you get time of course

mines broke on the left side.

Elliott,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

Here's the review with pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48661&p=450655#p450655

Chris

IBA# 49894

Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

Nice!! Thanks Chris...

Elliott,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

How does it do at 70+ mph fully extended? I have the one piece GIVI and it quivers a little at 70+.
brenmbly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Poster

I was offered a Givi Airflow from Givi to provide a review for the Honda Silver Wing. I have my own site for the SWing, so Givi sent my screen the next day. I had the stock screen, Clearview XL with vent, and the standard Givi screen before the Airflow and I have to say that the Airflow is so much better. I noticed my mpg's went up about 2 mpg after filling up quite a few times. It wasn't scientific at all but it just seemed to get a bit better mileage.

I know I don't have the B400 but I'm sure it would improve the ride a bit too for you guys. I also noticed that there is never the "sailing" effect with the Airflow. The Givi for the SWing is very tall, and I have a tall torso, and sometimes you could get that "sailing" effect with it but the Airflow just seems smoother. If any of you are thinking about a new screen and have the money it is well worth the price IMO.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

It works great extended also. The split in the airflow over and through the windscreen, eliminates a lot of the buffeting you've experienced. I find it is rock solid, even in the face of some very severe winds.

The only problem I have with it up, is that rain doesn't flow off it clearly. And then after the rain, you then have the road spray coating the windscreen. If you live in the dry states like Texas or such, it probably isn't an issue. But for me, living in Seattle, I'll leave it down till I get the cold dry air we sometimes get when the temps drop to the teens and 20s.

And like JeffR mentioned, it seems my gas mileage has gone up. I'm getting about 5 mpg better mileage.

Chris

IBA# 49894

Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Poster

I've got more wind noise at 70 MPH and still more at 80 MPH (All speeds are as indicated.), but my head is not being buffeted around. I can also feel some wind on my shoulders and at times my chest, but it isn't strong even at 80 MPH. At no speed do I feel as if I'm being pushed around in any direction. I couldn't see any flexing of the windshield at any speed even when in a crosswind. Again, the Airflow never acted as a sail, either. I've set the height so that I look over it so rain and bugs don't block my vision. The rain seems to be deflected up so that it hits the very top of my face shield and/or the top of my helmet. I'll have to ride in some more rain in order to do some more testing on that.

Now, if my helmet were a little quieter.

2008 Suzuki Burgman AN400 w/body deflectors, rear rack & bungee hooks; Givi Airflow, Stebel horn,
Utopia backrest, SpeedoHealer & turn signal buzzer; LED tail/brake/turn signal lamps & license plate bolts and retroreflective tape!
Old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.