Peeling paint - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Peeling paint

OK - the weather warmed up yesterday a bit (low 50s) so I pull out the car wash soap and fill a buck with hot water to give CR a badly needed bath. I had previously noticed that there was mud and grass stuck to the gas tank, etc.

As I gently washed that area, the paint on the tank started pealing off in patches. Wonder if I should really worry about it or just let it go? I can check the next time I'm in Denton to see if it's a warranty issue, but since all I've done is wash the bike I don't think that Suzuki could say I've modified the tank at all.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Actually, I'm too cheap to go too fast. Have you seen the price of gas lately?

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
happytech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Default Re: Peeling paint

Gas tank? how they heck were u cleaning it? That thing is more buried than the engine is.
Halfabusa Stickers

I think, therefor I am... I think
TheDarkCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCutlass
Gas tank? how they heck were u cleaning it? That thing is more buried than the engine is.
My first thought too! I don't think I have even seen the gas tank on the 400.
polyian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Just pull the center section - two pop-outs under the seat and then manuver the tabs. It's also how you change the spark plug, by removing the center section - quite easy really.

Since the 09 is very different than the 05 (thank goodness), I wanted to get a look-see at all I could easily look at. Make sense?

As to how I cleaned it - I just put hot soapy water and my car wash sponge to it - couldn't really "get after it" and when I rinsed it off, the paint acted like it was never primed - just painted over the metal tank.

I do wish you could change the fuel filter, but the 09 doesn't have one - just the mesh bag. To get to it, you have to drop the engine to move the tank back a few inches.

It's SO time for another long road trip!!! - like THAT'S ever going to happen now.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 2011 Honda NT700V, 2008 Burgman 400
Garage

I would get it to the dealer as soon as possible. If they need to order a part, or remove this to paint it again, you'll be out of the bike for a while, but it won't be during the summer, or while they are really busy.

I would also wonder how many other places would be prone to rust that they may find. If there are any, the sooner they are found, the better.

Chris

IBA# 49894
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder ó to ó 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6
Daboo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I would get it back to the dealer. I have never seen my tank my 2005.

What type of material is the tank? If it is plastic you may not miss the paint, but why paint it?
Chet_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via AIM to tsc3047 Send a message via MSN to tsc3047 Send a message via Yahoo to tsc3047

Well it's not really an automotive type paint on the tank, not durable. I don't think it's made for regular soap baths. That and I would hate to spray water near the gas tank, you could force water in something you might later regret like the fuel pump assembly. Had quite a few people in our auto shop over the years that had sprayed water or power washed their engine resulting in sensor failure, or shorts in a harness. Those things are ok if some dampness and rain water gets of over it but not direct sprays or scrubs.

2008 Burgman 400 Black: Suzuki Sport Windshield, Suzuki Passenger Backrest, DynoJet Power Commander III, DPS Weights 16g, NGK Iridium Plug, K&N Air Filter, Custom memory foam seat, Mobil 1 Oil and K&N Oil Filter.

Today's Advice: Beware of the Hit Clutch
tsc3047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I was very gentle. I want to know how mud and grass got stuck to the tank to begin with. I find that very curious.

It's like the paint was never primed and just put on shiny metal - usually, that won't stick.

I really hate to leave the bike with a dealership for a couple of weeks - I've just about got it tweaked like I want it.

Bruce

Old 01-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

How in the world did you get mud and grass in there in the first place? You keep exploring as much as you do, you may not be able to ride her at all one day...

LED Hand Guard Turn Signals
Mirror Running Lights
Wally World Driving Lights
Rear Alert
Driver Backrest mod
Suzuki Topcase

GIVI E21 Side Cases
Admore Lighting
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Mud and Grass. I wonder if that scooter was in a flood before you got it?
Chet_Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.