Can't Remove Spark Plug - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Default Can't Remove Spark Plug

I tried changing the plug on my '07-400 and when I push in the socket set it would bounce around so in put a light to it and notice that there is a thin rubber sleeve around it and
absolutely cannot get the socket in.

Any experience this and have any suggestions?

Thx

Valerio

12 Burgman 650 Exec
09 Burgman 650 Exec(Sold)
- Clearview Windshield
- Izuzu Back Rest
- Puppie Grips
- Breakaway Cruise Control
07 Burgman 400 (sold)
Valerio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Send a message via AIM to tsc3047 Send a message via MSN to tsc3047 Send a message via Yahoo to tsc3047
Default Re: Can't Remove Spark Plug

Sounds like the rubber grip from inside the spark plug socket came off and stayed on your spark plug. You should be able to slowly rotate the socket until it fits down on the plug and turn it and pull it out plug and all. I know mine the spark plug tool did that when I was trying to get it out and it was annoying.

2008 Burgman 400 Black: Suzuki Sport Windshield, Suzuki Passenger Backrest, DynoJet Power Commander III, DPS Weights 16g, NGK Iridium Plug, K&N Air Filter, Custom memory foam seat, Mobil 1 Oil and K&N Oil Filter.

Today's Advice: Beware of the Hit Clutch
tsc3047 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

You can grab the rubber thingee with some long needlenose pliers and yank it out. Just be careful not to damage the plug.
polyian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

The spark plug socket supplied with the 400 has a thinner twall han a regular spark plug socket that you get with a socket set.
Has anyone used these rather than the one supplied without difficulty in get it in or is it too
thick to fit around the plug?

Valerio

12 Burgman 650 Exec
- Clearview Windshield
- Izuzu Back Rest
- Puppie Grips
07 Burgman 400 (sold)
Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I used a regular spark plug socket set. When I replaced the plug and pulled the socket the rubber thingee stayed behind and I used some needlenose pliers to pull it out. You can always remove the rubber thingee before re-installing the plug to avoid this issue. I had no issue with the thickness of the socket walls. If you use the spark plug tool that comes with the bike you can't use a torque wrench so you have to guess-ti-torque by hand.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Poster

Polyian, you state that you just pulled it out......I'm puzzled as to what the purpose
of this sleeve is. There has to be a reason for it and yet I've never seen it on
any engine, car , truck or otherwsie

In reading in the "How To" no one has ever mentioned that they experienced this problem so I suspect that this rubber was not in thiers?????? puzzled

Valerio

12 Burgman 650 Exec
- Clearview Windshield
- Izuzu Back Rest
- Puppie Grips
07 Burgman 400 (sold)
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to TechArtGuy Send a message via AIM to TechArtGuy Send a message via MSN to TechArtGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TechArtGuy

The rubber insert was in the tool that came with my bike. As for the purpose of it it's just a grip for the end of the plug so when you get the plug loosened from the head you can just remove the tool and the plug stays in the end, no fishing it out with pliers. Though putting the plug back in I can see problems with the rubber part staying on the plug certainly.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

The rubber insert is part of the spark plug socket and when you yanked the socket up the rubber stayed behind with the plug. This is common and the reason many people pull the rubber out of the socket before re-installing the plug. It is handy to have there when removing the plug. It's purpose is to help prevent damage to the porcelain on the plug. In the old days we never had these rubber inserts and I neve broke a plug.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I've never had this problem.... The rubber boot holds the socket in place as you snake it down the long tube to get to socket to screw it in and helps ensure it stays straight to help prevent crossthreading. And mine has always stayed in place, whether it be the one that came with the bike, or the set I used for my car.

Just got to not ''yank'' out the socket when you remove the plug.
Halfabusa Stickers

I think, therefor I am... I think
TheDarkCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Poster

Thanks for all the fine advise and I attacked it again yesterday and had to fish this
rubber washer out with a piece of bicylce spoke that I filed sharp & bent to a hook-
shape and finally was able to get at the plug with no problems. This thing was so embedded around the plug base that it broke up and I pulled it out in several pieces. Never have I had a
problem with a spark plug socket that comes with a socket set.
That tells you what a piece of garbage Suzuki supplied and had I known of this before
inserting the tool for the first time, I would have never used it.

Valerio

12 Burgman 650 Exec
- Clearview Windshield
- Izuzu Back Rest
- Puppie Grips
07 Burgman 400 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.