Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Final gear oil?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  xringracing 
#1 ·
The user manual mensions final gear oil and even tells you what type to get. It does not tell you where it goes however. Being new to cycle maintence, but very capable of following directions, I just want to know how often and where to access this oil so i can do what I need to to keep my Burgman healthy. Planning to do my second oil change to my 2007 this week once i get the oil and filter. Would like toi do the final gear oil change at the same time if I can and supposed to?

#2 ·
You'll probably want to invest in a factory service manual, even though that doesn't tell you what I feel is the most important part of the final gear oil change...taking the cover off.

There is an aluminum CVT drive belt pulley cover that has to be removed to get to the fill opening for your final drive oil. At the rear is a bearing that the rear pulley shaft rotates in. The clearance is very tight, so the best way I can think of to pull it, is to get a gear puller to pull it straight off. Otherwise, you will spend about an hour or more wiggling it free.

I put a small amount of 15-40 Mobile 1 synthetic oil on that part when I put it back together. I have no idea if that'll help in pulling it off next time, or not.

Several people suggested using a rubber mallet. I don't see how it could've helped now that I've taken it off. All it would do is put additional stress on the bearings and eventually cause them to fail.

Chris

#6 ·
I changed mine the first time @ 40Kmiles. I just changed it a second time @ 80Kmiles. Probably not the right thing to do, but it hasn't caused me issues. It really isn't that big a deal I just never remember to do it while I'm in there. You are going to be in there at least every 20K for belt issues and roller/slider inspection. If you plan to never do that, then don't worry about it. Your scooter will stop moving long before the final drive ever becomes an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.