Safe coolant to use other than from Suzuki? - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Safe coolant to use other than from Suzuki?

Any alternative coolant/antifreeze to use with my 2012 Burgman 400 other than the pricy stuff from Suzuki. I want to make sure I'm using something safe for my scooter and of course to mix 50/50 with distilled water. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 PM

I have a brand new 2017 650 Executive. My owner's manual says " Use Suzuki super long life coolant. If that is not available, use a glycol based anti-freeze compatible with an aluminum radiator mixed with distilled water only at a 50/5 ratio. Most AF mfrs. today produce the special aluminum radiator coolant.
Christopher Slevin likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm curious to know if an alternative coolant could be used long term. Anyone else have any experiences good or bad?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 PM

I don't see why not, I am sure Suzuki Coolant is MFR by one of the big brand coolant MFRS.. Even Suzuki motor oil is MFR by Shell Oil.
Christopher Slevin likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:22 PM

Any brand of 50/50 long life coolant will do as long as it stipulates 'NITRITE, PHOSPHATE & AMINE FREE' on the label. Here in Oz I have been using Repco Organic Long Life - red in colour. Ensure you flush the system out at least twice to remove the original mix i.e. drain, fill with de-min, run then repeat the process. I use de-min water from the local super. I have regularly ridden in temps up to 42C in our summers without probs.

Last edited by ericclapham; 05-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Insane Poster

I use Preston in both my Burgmans. After 10 years and a combined 180,000+ miles I think it might just be safe
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Turbo Poster

Can't touch Buffalo's mileage, so there's that.

FWIW, on both my former and current Execs (and on my former Honda Valkyrie) I've used Honda pre-mix, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08C50-C...dp/B0039OTLRW/

$25 for two quarts, free shipping if you already have Prime membership. Seems reasonable to me, and you don't have to mix anything. Lots of dealers stock that stuff, so you may also be able to find a good deal locally.

(Oh, forgot, I also add a touch of WaterWetter when changing coolant, but that's me.)

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM covers; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold in '12]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Water Wetter does work but did not show a drop in bars on my new 2017 650 Executive. On my 1998 Corvette years ago it did drop the temp. noticeably from standard while warmed up and running.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmike26 View Post
Water Wetter does work but did not show a drop in bars on my new 2017 650 Executive. On my 1998 Corvette years ago it did drop the temp. noticeably from standard while warmed up and running.
Yep, may not make much difference, when the fan does or doesn't kick in (if ever), and so forth.

I have no personal way of knowing whether the product is partially, completely, or not-at-all snake oil, but I use it for the other supposed properties, as well: heat transfer and corrosion protection. See https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10 for the official corporate line ...

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM covers; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold in '12]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Insane Poster

I use Prestone -Safe for all systems- and distilled water. Works in my Saturn, works in Burgman.
I had a 05 Concours, someone on their COG forum had a formula for long-life coolant. Water Wetter was part of it

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
2008 red B400
OTHER vehicles- 1997 Saturn SL, 2002 Haro mountain bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.