Installed mud flap without removing rr wheel - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Installed mud flap without removing rr wheel

Without removing the rear wheel, I installed a painted tin panel to block the crud thrown atop the rear of the engine from the rear tire. Maybe it will keep my air filter cleaner, too.
Tools, supplies I used:

#8 self tapping screws
2 ea. #10 stainless screws & lock washers
2ea. #10 speed clips
piece of galvanized tin
scissors
cardboard & marker
black spray paint
drill w/ 3/16th bit

#2 phillips screwdriver with 12" shank!! (THE most important tool --- without it I would have had to remove the rear wheel, $4 off the $ table at hardware store.)

(With this 12" shank screwdriver held above the tire, the handle will be just short of the rear fender/tail light assembly ---- you can reach the two tabs and have room for hand to turn the screwdriver to "drill" the hole in the tabs with the self tappers. ....and do the final install with the two stainless mounting screws)

Install one speed clip on ea. tab.
'Start' self tappers in the clip hole....drill a hole through tab with them. Remove screw.

Cut card stock to make a pattern which covers as much as the open gap as you think you need.
Trim tin to match. Paint.
Mark above plastic tabs where the hole is...hold your finished tin up there and use the story marks for the tin. Drill the 2 holes.

Bend tin to angle it away from tire. Test install, then bounce with weight of two riders and roll scoot to check for rubbing. If you slightly over-size holes and do not tighten - you can flex the tin in center away from the tire - then tighten screws. No rubbing.

I was lucky to discover that I could get my hand in there to work a screw driver if I used just the right length screw driver. Too long or too short didn't work for my big hands.
This can probably be made out of an old rubber car floor mat, or a mud slap. Use fender washers.

#10 speed clips - Lowes

Stig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Insane Poster

Nice Job. It's a tight space to work. there are some plug-in connectors (i think 3) right in that area in front of the rear wheel. the wires go into the engine, Stator output, CKP Sensor Output, and O2 Sensor Output. I had to change my O2 sensor and I had a HECK of a time trying to reach that connector to get the O2 sensor unpluged. It was too tight for me to get my hand in there.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Turbo Poster

Black duct tape or Gorrilla tape, done.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:18 AM

Location: Warsaw, Poland, Europe, Planet Earth, Solar System, etc...
Garage
Nicely done ! But. Did You mount it to plastic or metal ?

Regards
Wojtek
Suzuki Burgman AN400ZA 2012
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Insane Poster

make sure the flapper doesn't rub on the aluminum engine case. Mine did, started wearing away the precious unobtanium before I changed it

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
2008 red B400
OTHER vehicles- 1997 Saturn SL, 2002 Haro mountain bike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Turbo Poster

I guess because the photos were so zoomed in, it was hard for me to get a full perspective on the location of where the thing gets mounted.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgyBill View Post
I guess because the photos were so zoomed in, it was hard for me to get a full perspective on the location of where the thing gets mounted.
It is attached to these two speed clips on the 2 plastic tabs in front of the rear tire.
After a test ride, trimmed the small part near the bottom that touched the tire.
Stig

Last edited by stig; 05-14-2017 at 09:41 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:37 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Be careful chaps! Suzuki don't seal off that area because they want air to flow through there to help keep the engine cool. Blocking off the engine in that area reduces the airflow through the frame and over the engine. On a long run I bet that raises the temperature of the engine by quite some and adds heat to the rear tyre too. Duct tape works quite well and if used correctly will still divert most of the crud. Not taking anything away from your engineering feat Stig, that's great!

2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.