best sparkplug for k7 - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Turbo Poster

Really? Why not? I've not seen anything of yet to tell me to not gap a spark plug. The Iridiums are more tolerant of being "out of gap", but guess it all depends on your own tolerance levels.

From another blog and several others do say this:
(http://www.gixxer.com/forums/33-gene...mage-them.html)
Quote:
"from an NGK technician:

Quote:
The coating is not the issue when checking the gap but rather the iridium being such a hard material it is brittle and snap off if gapped improperly. When gapping you do not want to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator or it can be broken and is not warranted. You want to adjust the plug only from the ground electrode. Sliding a tool across the iridium electrode will not damage it though as long as excess pressure is not applied. I am also including a photo of the proper way to gap the plugs. Thanks.

Best regards,

Brandon Peeler

Technical Support Representative
Best to only bend the side grounding strip and not use the "wedge against center electrode" method. I could see how the spark plug makers would say NOT to gap them in order to limit people breaking the delicate center tip.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Insane Poster

There is no need to gap IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS. Why? There is simply no need to. Take it out of the box and put it in. You will very likely never have to take it out again.
My 04 Toyota Highlander has original factory installed iridium spark plugs with 188,000+ miles and it still runs great. They will never be replaced.
gec343 likes this.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Gio
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
There is no need to gap IRIDIUM SPARK PLUGS. Why? There is simply no need to. Take it out of the box and put it in. You will very likely never have to take it out again.
My 04 Toyota Highlander has original factory installed iridium spark plugs with 188,000+ miles and it still runs great. They will never be replaced.

Just hope you never have to take them out then Here in the UK Ford produced a small car called the Ka. it had long life plugs fitted as oe. Second hand market prices dropped because among other things the plugs snapped when trying to remove them from the cylinder head years later for servicing.

I suggest you loosen long life plugs then nip backup again annually. Its easier than a head repair.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
Just hope you never have to take them out then Here in the UK Ford produced a small car called the Ka. it had long life plugs fitted as oe. Second hand market prices dropped because among other things the plugs snapped when trying to remove them from the cylinder head years later for servicing.

I suggest you loosen long life plugs then nip backup again annually. Its easier than a head repair.
I will never loosen the spark plugs because they are near impossible to reach! I have the 3.6L V6 engine and the rear head is leaned back towards the firewall AND the intake manifold is made in such a way so that it bends out over the head near the firewall, making it almost impossible to change the plugs. I have heard that it is possible, but exceedingly difficult. the only way that I could do it to remove the intake manifold, and I am not going to get into that unless really needed. 04' Toyota Highlander V6, a really nice car requires practically no maintenance! Just a small touch of neverseize on the spark plug threads will assure that they will come out easliy. And this same thing applies to the motorcycle spark plugs.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

Last edited by E.D.; 03-21-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 PM

On the 400, there are no gears or clutch plates to lubricate, so I would think the motorcycle specific oil is unnecessary. Any 10W40 synthetic oil on sale would work on the 400.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D. View Post
Sorry Captain, but I got to jump in here. If you are using the REGULAR SPARK PLUG NGK CR7E you can gap the plug.

But if you install the IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG NGK CR7EIX, DO NOT GAP THE SPARK PLUG, EVER, THERE IS NO NEED TO.
You will probably never need to change the spark plug again for as long as you ride it.
I respectfully disagree. Not every plug you buy is going to have the right gap. Case in point- mine was off by nearly .1mm out of the box. It probably would have worked fine, but I'm a perfectionist.

With iridium plugs, try not to touch the central electrode (much) while doing so. It's really brittle and can break easily. Gap the plug to the recommended gap by bending the outer electrode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.