5Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeyMarine
  • 1 Post By Bluebottle
  • 1 Post By Liamjs
  • 2 Post By E.D.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

starting issues

I tried to start my Burgman 400, but no succes. I tried to start it with jumpercables, but i think the fuse is out of order. I checked all the fuses, but no succes again. Can anyone give some advise? I googled it, but the only jnformation I find is the location of the fuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
How is the Speed on your Starter, It has to be Fast, But you tried Jumper Cables, Are you getting Any "FI" Indications, It could be a few Things Take Off Spark Cable, and Place it Near the engine Look for a Spark, and All So Remove Fuel Injector Fuel Line and Get a CUP Try the Start to See If Fuel is Flowing into Cup,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

@ Elliot; no F1 indication, nothing. no sound at all. No 'klik', no respond from the boardcomputer, no movement of the rpm needle (?)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
OK! No Dash At All, Check All your Connections Unplug every One and Spreay them with Lube !! Sometimes theses Connectors Loose Contact!!

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Insane Poster

before we tear it all apart lets do the , duh, i forgot to check the ___ engine kill switch, brake lights , side stand , permission from signif other did it run ok yesterday? headlights come on ? if the needlse don't move, and headlights do come on, do the headlights dim when start switch pressed ,
Elliott Larron likes this.

doctorate dietary medicene, graduate suma cum laude, Ima eta pi
laugh at yourself, everyone else is
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Insane Poster

As well as your normal fuses there is a 30 amp "main fuse"

Pull out the trim panel under the instruments and you will see is sitting on the starter relay.

There should be a spare there too
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Insane Poster

Check the switches that could cut off the engine from starting, side stand, brake etc. also check the wiring to those switches. I had some rats chew through my harness, took me a month to figure it out.

"What is your measure of success? Warren Buffett has always said the measure is whether the people close to you are happy and love you." Bill Gates

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (56k mi) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (27k mi) - 3rd owner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Insane Poster

Everybody has given you good advice here. Have you checked and tried all the obvious things suggested so far?
When you turn on the key, does your headlights come on?
Does the brake light light up when you squeeze either left or right brake?
Be sure the the Red Kill Switch on the right side of handlebar is in the ON Position. Most important!
When you turn the key on and press the start button with kickstand UP and brake lever squeezed, is there any click or any sound at all?
There are three most common possibilities if no sound:

1. If the brake light does not come on, remove and replace the brake light switch. Sometimes you can fix it by immersing it in oil overnight. i have had this happen, and done this successfully.

2. Starter push button loses contact. I have had this happen and others also. The remedy is the take the switch apart, clean the copper contacts and apply some dielectric grease (available at most auto supply stores). It is a SILCONE based grease to enhance electrical contacts.
Caution, contains small parts and spring, so be very careful to not lose parts and be sure of correct reassembly. Check U Tube Video on in before you take it apart.

3. Starter relay does not make contact. I have not had this happen, but it was probably because I bought a new relay and kept it under the seat on the bike! These relays are cheap on Amazon for less than $10. Buy one and keep it under the seat, and yours will never go bad! LOL. This relay is located under the lower meter panel (under the speedometer cluster. Just carefully YANK it off, and the relay is on the right side, it has a green 30 amp fuse on each side. The left fuse is the live MAIN fuse, and the one on the right is a spare (wasn't that nice of them to give you a spare).
To TEST IT, you can jump across the the two main contacts(Careful, it can make a big spark) jump across the two main contacts with HEAVY METAL, LIKE TWO WRENCHES. The instant that you jump it, you connect battery power directly to the starter motor. The Starter motor should instantly start turning. If the starter turns normally, the problem is either the starter relay OR it's control circuit. Check accordingly.
Good Luck with it!
Cheers!

Last edited by E.D.; 03-13-2017 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.