Burgman 400 2008 Fuel pump problem - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Question Burgman 400 2008 Fuel pump problem

Hi to all,

I am riding Burgman 400 2008, and few days ago I lost the power while overtaking and ever since scooter chokes on throttle. I replaced the fuel pump immediately but problem still exist (I putted in RMS fuel pump).

After this we checked all parts that can cause the problem...fuel filter, fuel hose, injection, all the rubbers around fuel pump etc. but problem still exist, so we determent that problem is in new fuel pump as it is not very reliable.

I returned that fuel pump and tomorrow I am getting new one but again RMS model as in my country (Serbia) I cant find other one.

Does anyone had similar problem and maybe recommendation for any other brand of fuel pump? The original one is to expensive.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody knows does Burgman 400 2008 have this second filter that Hussein taks about for his Skywave 250? I could not have found it.

Please help, maybe this is the issues, maybe it is not the fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussein Adil View Post
Finally, we found it!!
Apparently the manual never mentioned the fuel regulater valve container filter, Yes there is two fuel filters in this bike and the manual only mentioned the one at the bottom of the fuel pump to replace or clean up, otherwise you will have to replace the entire pump assembly to solve your fuel problems, but what was hidden inside made me kick a flash back to all the time and efforts i wasted on this bike trying to fix it and i felt sorry for myself, but this is how you learn things, by going through experiments and having some patience.
In my case, i had enough fuel pressure when ever i test the pressure but i couldn't test the pressure when the engine is running because of the lack of local fuel diagnostic tools and adapters suppliers. The problem was as we think is a lack of supplying enough "Volume" of fuel to keep the engine running.
When i was looking throw the container (named fuel guide in the manual) of the fuel pressure regulator from the pump hole i saw a black tube inside, but then we discovered that this thing was a clogged steel filter inside the container when we inserted a tiny screw driver inside to check it out and we accidently break it!! the container was sealed on it self, no clips no screws, just a plastic cube made from two pieces and melted together, so there was no way to open it to see what was inside.
Then, we finished what we did, we break it entirely since it doesn't make sense to clean it anyway.
So now i have it back running okay.

And here is my friend Muaayad helping me to fix it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Insane Poster

I haven't done it myself, but you need to check the fuel pump pressure. I am not exactly sure how you would do it, as I don't think that there is a fuel pressure port anywhere on there. It may involve cutting the fuel line and inserting a tee in the line, then take the third hose to the fuel pressure gauge, using a hose long enough so that you can see the fuel pressure gauge while riding. But I can't endorse cutting the fuel line, for safety reasons. It would be best to put on a new fuel line hose, and keep the old one for testing purposes. If the fuel pressure is good, it will eliminate a problem with the pump.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

E.D. thanks for replaying... I am not sure that I know how to do this... nevertheless I am getting new fuel pump today (second one) so I will try it again.

Still, I would like to know is there second filter beside fuel filter at the bottom of fuel pump (like at Skywave 250)?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 AM
Insane Poster

Garage
Nope Just This One Filter!! In Gas Tank,, Can't Install One on the Fuel Line To Much Pressure from Fuel Pump, Onless you can Find a Special Fuel Injected Metal One,

There is a Test , A CUP test when the Gas Start to flow it fills up Cup,Amount test,

I did Replace My Filter in tank, it was So Black, Been in there Since 2007,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Elliott, tnx...Yes we tested it like that and it works... but problem still exists...

Maybe pump goes bad when scooter get warm, because when I start to ride it goes great for about 4,5 minutes and then just starts to chocks.

I will try third pump today but maybe pump is not the problem...

I would appreciate if anyone has some other idea...
Elliott Larron likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaK View Post
Elliott, tnx...Yes we tested it like that and it works... but problem still exists...

Maybe pump goes bad when scooter get warm, because when I start to ride it goes great for about 4,5 minutes and then just starts to chocks.

I will try third pump today but maybe pump is not the problem...

I would appreciate if anyone has some other idea...
Yes, the VOLUME MAY BE GOOD AT THE START AND AT LOW PRESSURE, but your problem is occurring after it runs for a few minutes.

THIS is why I said to do the FUEL PUMP PRESSURE TEST. And continue to monitor the fuel pump pressure while you ride it. It is a darn shame that Suzuki did not put a fuel pressure test port on the fuel line. All the cars that I have worked on had one, don't know if the news ones still do tho. You can buy a new fuel line, and cut and modify the old one to be able to measure the fuel pump pressure. After the test, replace the "test" fuel line with the new one.
If the pressure remains good and does not drop after riding for a while when the problem occurs, you can rule out the fuel pump.
However, I believe that you most likely have a restriction somewhere downstream from the fuel pump.

Another thing to check is to be sure the gas tank is getting vented properly. Try this, with the gas tank about 1/4 to 1/2 way full, loosen the gas cap. You can unlock the gas cap, remove it, lock the cap, then put it back on only about 1 turn, to allow venting of the tank. Ride it like this a short distance to see if it makes any difference. This will eliminate or confirm any chances of problems with the tank venting system.

1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
Burgman Owners Map:

Last edited by E.D.; 03-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Insane Poster

Another thing I thought about, the fuel line may be able to be disconnected or unclamped at one one end. If so, A tee fitting and a short piece of hose can be clamped to fasten the hoses tight and then another hose for the Pressure Meter can be clamped to the side fitting of the Tee. This would made a secure connection for testing. Then when done, the tee can be removed and the existing fuel hose can be reclamped securely back in place.
I have not done this, but it seems that it should be possible.

The Suzuki service manual shows two special adapter tools for testing the fuel pressure. I do not know their availability or price, but you could do some checking, if you care:
09940-40211 Fuel pressure gauge adapter (page 1G-12)
09940-40230 Fuel pressure gauge hose attachment (page 1G-12)
The pictures in the service manual are poor and it is difficult to see how the tools are used.

1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
Burgman Owners Map:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Rectifier could not be it, so rule that out,

All so Check 18117-05H00 Valve,ISC, it could Act that way,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

We finally fixed it!!! At the end it was the second filter which does exist.

It is small metal filter in plastic part of pump where electronic goes. It can not be taken off from this plastic. When we finally found it, it was very very dirty so we cleaned it and putted back with my old (original) pump and works great!!!

We cleaned it with ultrasonic cleaner!

Thank you all for all help and brainstorming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.