I hope you find some of this useful.
Very helpful indeed! Thank you.

Gary

1976 Honda CB200 - sold
36 years with no bike
2012 Honda CBR250 - sold
2012 Honda NC700X - sold

2012 Burgman 400 since Aug 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydj1950 View Post
Very helpful indeed! Thank you.
You're welcome.

One possible correction:

This may have been implied, but I forgot to state that I have actually used the low-profile angled valve stems in the past (as opposed to merely having ordered them, for my latest acquisition). The most recent personal use was on the 2007 650 Exec that I owned from 2007 - 2012. Not having seen that bike for five years, I was just looking at some photos of it, trying to see if I had taken one of the valve stems.

I came across only one, and it was of the rear wheel:

Note that it is pointing to the left, not the right.

I just stooped way down low, and looked around the 2008 Exec. Keep in mind that I got this bike only a few months ago, shortly before riding season was over here, and I haven't worked on it much.

In any case, with the disk rotor and caliper on the right back there, and the final drive and ABS ring on the left, it does look as if there's a tad more room to work with pumps, hoses, gauges, and suchlike on the left -- on this particular model.

So when I wrote in the prior post ...

Everyone I know with bikes prefers the opening to point to the right side of a bike. (And the standard for "right" and "left" are as someone is sitting on a bike.) This makes the valve opening more available when a bike is on the sidestand.

... how about we chalk that up to a senior moment?

My point about specifying to a tire shop which way you want them pointed still holds, of course, but that specification is subject to change, by you.

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM cover; Vibranator bar ends; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Insane Poster

Location: Auburn WA Where God takes Vacation. ***TRAVEL STOP***
I have those type pointed to the left on my wheels. But all my Burgmans have been standard, not Exec's.

11.3 mm are what I got. I had to replace the inner valve stem core once but that is normal for any valve stem.

"Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible ....." TOTALLY HOG WASH!!!

SSG/E6 Retired US ARMY Signal Corp. 9th Signal Bn, Forward.

160,000 miles on a CAR TIRE/DARKSIDE.

On a Achilles ATR-K Economist 155/65 HR 14,
Prior GT Radial Champiro VP1 185/60 HR 14, Potenza RE92 165/65 SR 14 and 155/65 HR 14 Formosa D2

***TRAVEL STOP*** Camp, tools, Wifi,.....

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 AM
Turbo Poster

I have found it tough, too, but I still use the cheap straight gauge that I use on my car. just have the valve sitting about 4 o'clock position when looking at tire from left side. then, sitting sort of behind tire, you can lean down and place the gauge up against the wheel lengthwise and then press down against the tire valve. then the air will push the plastic insert out of the gauge toward the front of the bike. it is kind of a two handed position with the right hand on the opposite side of tire holding the gauge down on to the valve.

It's not as easy as leaning over and checking the air on a car tire. but, if you can get down on the ground, this isn't too bad.

I have now purchased some bluetooth air valve caps that tell me the air pressure.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfish View Post

I have now purchased some bluetooth air valve caps that tell me the air pressure.
Link please?

Common sense, the least common of the senses.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandspike View Post
Link please?
https://www.my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE

Install the mobile phone app. Configure the app for your account and your bike. Follow the directions on the app. Then install the bluetooth caps on to the specified air valve (front or rear), touch phone to the bluetooth cap in order to link it to phone.

I've checked it a couple of times and its accurate enough.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Turbo Poster

FOBO Pricing (02/20/2017)

If you decide on the FOBO, note that as I type this the black version is cheaper on Amazon -- if you're already a Prime member, for the free shipping -- than at FOBO's site:

$91.20: https://www.amazon.com/FOBO-FB1574-B...dp/B00YCAVGMK/

$99.00: https://www.my-fobo.com/Store

(For some reason, the silver one is about $4 more than the black one at Amazon).

Note that FOBO's price includes standard shipping.

However, if you'll also be getting FOBO's "T-Valve," the combo at FOBO's site of two sensors and two T-valves for $115 (see https://www.my-fobo.com/Store ) is a better value. FOBO lists the T-valves at $12 each, and Amazon doesn't appear to sell this combo (or the T-valves).

It's probably a good idea to get the combo pack that includes those T-valves, because it makes adding air easier (since you then no longer have to remove a sensor to add air). On the other hand, as I noted earlier, you may be surprised at how infrequently you have to add air, once you start monitoring pressure with a TPMS -- so this isn't a huge deal.

If I were buying the system -- and I probably will, in a few months -- I'd probably get the $115 set, though. It looks as if the sensors won't fit with the low-profile valve stems I bought (but haven't had installed), after looking at the dimensions at FOBO's site.

Regards,

Bill P.

2008 Exec:

Givi E52; AdMore lights; CustomLED flasher; Clearview; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Running-lights mod; Powerlet socket; MCL RAM cover; Vibranator bar ends; G2 Throttle Tamer

2007 Exec [Sold]:

Givi E52; Clearview; MC Cruise; SpeedoHealer; Motolights; Stebel air horn; Running-lights mod; Oznium LEDs; Powerlet sockets; MCL RAM cover; SW-Motech riser; Manic Salamander bar ends; Yoshimura exhaust; G2 Throttle Tamer

Gallery:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:54 AM
Super Poster

I use a Milton pocket pencil gauge on straight valve stems. It's tight but certainly doable. I had bought a little digital gauge but there is not enough room to use it. You can buy more expensive gauges than Milton but none better in my opinion.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 02-24-2017 at 03:58 AM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:09 AM
Insane Poster

A significant warning about permanently-installed screw-on pressure indicators or Bluetooth pressure sensors: They could cause a rapid loss of tire pressure should they break off, crack, or come loose.
garydj1950 likes this.

Not all who wander lack GPS.
Whir-chirp-chirp, purr...
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty J View Post
A significant warning about permanently-installed screw-on pressure indicators or Bluetooth pressure sensors: They could cause a rapid loss of tire pressure should they break off, crack, or come loose.
It also seems that rebalancing would be warranted at least on the front tire.
Dave_J likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.