LOVE THEM IF ONLY WORKED IN THE WINTER 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage
Who's Using The lithium ion battery?

Any One Up Here Using the lithium ion battery, If So I,v Been Testing A HIONHB HALOGEN-ION-HEATED-BATTERY

I,v Been Testing it for a Week With Great Results, So Great it's been Starting at First Crank at a Outside Temperature of 50" Degrees

With NO Cold Start Procedures Necessary,

I know a lot don't trust These Batteries in the Long Run, and there Only Seem to Be Good for SUMMER USE But there Can Be Modified for WINTER USE!

MAX BURN TIME 3 MINUTES ONLY! 4-5 SCHEDULED ON/OFF Battery Heat Absorption 3 to 4 Minutes

But Testing will Resume!!

Will Keep you posted on Testing..

Elliott,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB.jpg (92.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB0.jpg (110.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB1.jpg (86.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB2.jpg (43.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB3.jpg (113.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB4.jpg (114.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB5.jpg (99.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HalloGenIHB6.jpg (120.0 KB, 22 views)

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC

Last edited by Elliott Larron; 02-10-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:23 AM
Insane Poster

Looks T00 much like a computer battery, I'll stick with my AGM for now, I'm not having any problem with it, I have no reason to switch.

Al in Sunny Tampa Bay Florida (St Petersburg)
2006 Burgman AN650 K6 White (The White Knight)
2008 Burgman AN400 K8 Red (The Red Baron)
1977 Honda CB 750 Silver
1977 Penneys 50 Moped Red
1974 Yamaha 360 MX Yellow
1973 Yamaha 80 MX Silver
1972 Honda QA 50 Red
1971 Kaw Bighorn 350 Enduro Brown
1970 Kaw H1 500 Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Red
1968 Kaw 120 Scrambler Blue
As far as the cages go, I've had all kinds,
but Toyota's Rule, no doubt!
John 3:16
Burgman Owners Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Burgman Travel Stops Map:
https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35802347796%2C-74.57433601542971&z=7
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:55 AM
Super Poster

Garage
I been using a Shorai LiFe (lithium iron) for several years in my 400 now and in a Mp3 400 before that. It cost about $180 from Battery Stuff and I am very satisfied with it. There is a difference between Ion and Iron !!
At first glance it seems that anything that small and light could store any power at all. Compared to lead-acid there is only one difference I can see so far: The lithium delivers an initial current surge and the engine fires on the first turn, no matter what ambient temperature. Lead-acid can't do that.

As for service life, it will outlast the L/Acid, but so far it is not known how much longer. I'm happy with it and suggest that you get the recommended size, a high capacity battery may overpower the starter. On the Mp3, I got a larger than recommended and it would start with a loud bang. I was afraid that it would bend the connecting rod or something else !!

When the price comes down, it will replace lead-acid. There are probably other threads on lithium here in the forum, and some tend to bog down with a lot of ifs and buts.

Old Burgman riders never die..they just fade away.

Home to that place that we all will someday stay.

A place in the sky where everyone rides every day.

And that is my epitaph....

Last edited by san diego joe; 02-10-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: clarity

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Super Poster

Garage
Wow. That thing looks like a fire waiting to happen. I don't see any charge control there, and overcharging a lithium ion battery is a sure way to make it explode in flames.

No thanks.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Insane Poster

I got a Ballistic lithium battery for my TMAX. Liked it so much I got another for my Reflex. Never had any issues starting in the cold, even at 16F.

They both failed in far too short of a period (2 years or so), just stopped holding charge, and became undependable, and they cost way too much.

I put the cheapest battery from Amazon in the Reflex, and I have put a Battery Tender lithium battery in my TMAX in November (which cost less than half of the Ballistic battery). Too early to comment on its performance, but I have high hopes.

post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM
Super Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
Wow. That thing looks like a fire waiting to happen. I don't see any charge control there, and overcharging a lithium ion battery is a sure way to make it explode in flames.

No thanks.
Your comment is well known in the computer world that has been plagued with flaming lithium batteries.....and yes the OP has requested replies on lithium-ion.
The point I was trying to make is that I been using a lithium-iron (LiFe) and am not having any problems with charging or overheating. And since the shelf life is much longer than lead-acid, there is no need to worry about starting a scooter that has been not been used for a long time.

I would say that the only disadvantage of lithium is the price. Lead-acid is a good way to go for anyone who is money challenged.

Old Burgman riders never die..they just fade away.

Home to that place that we all will someday stay.

A place in the sky where everyone rides every day.

And that is my epitaph....
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Insane Poster

Based on the available responses, this thread should probably be titled: "Of Those Who Use or Have Used Li+ Batteries, your biggest gripe is..."

Found myself looking for the Not Me selection.
captainfish likes this.

Ridin' the IceBurg - 10% transportation, 90% fun!
90K and counting.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Garage
Well, This is my First One, Only had it 7 Months, now Was Ok in the Summer, But when Winter Showed up Started having Wake up Problems, It has a Circuit to Stop Charging, But think it Might have Failed, I did not want to go thru the Cold Start Starting , So i Jumped it with my lithium Engine Start Jumper, Might have Burnt out the Chip,

And you guys are right there Very expensive, I still have my Acid Battery but it Lost a Cell, and only have 11.8 Volt but still Starts with it..

I like the Lighter Battery Bikes Moves much faster with out all that Weight, I hope to get at least 2 years out of it..

Elliott,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|LeoVince exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3|Suaoki D21 500A Jump Starter PB
GIVI AF266|Bestek AC 200W inverter|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|20WCree XL Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|80W 8000lm Cree LED Headlights|Voltage Monitor | 7W/Michelin P Pure SC
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeazel View Post
The fire will keep your butt warm during the winter commutes
Tromper and E.D. like this.

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"

Photo Gallery:
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Insane Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Larron View Post
now Was Ok in the Summer, But when Winter Showed up Started having Wake up Problems. . . .
How could ANY battery survive a Los Angeles winter where the temps can get down into the 40's ??!!

And I'm sure it's lighter weight equates to better gas mileage. Why in 73,432 miles, it will have paid for itself (the first one, not the next two).

Now if it could save me from myself when I carelessly leave my parking brakes on to the point of stranding myself (about once every three years), then I'm interested.

Jeff
AN650L4 in MMFG (Gray) Givi V47, Clearview
AN400K8 in Black, Givi AirFlow
'12 Vespa LXV150 in Portofino Green for the wife

AN400K5 in Blue (sold)
AN650K5 in Silver (sold)
AN650K7 in Gray (sold)

a Burgman rider since Aug. 28, 2005

Last edited by jeff_MDR; 02-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.