Miles on a Full Tank? - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamjs View Post
Personally, I use the tripometer exclusively. When it's gets over 180 miles, time to start looking.
It feels good to know I am in about the same range as someone who has been riding for longer than me on a Burg.
Skunkhome likes this.

-Mario 🐼

2007 Suzuki Burgman AN400 K7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 AM

I have an AN400AL1 and the most I ever rode was 205 mi., but I took it easy on the highway, going ~60 mph. It was mostly uphill all the way. I normally fill up after 160-180 miles, that gives me a nice buffer in case I can't find a handy gas station.
Panda likes this.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego joe View Post

I think that the introduction of 4 valves on a single cylinder spinning an undersquare piston at high rpm, along with fuel injection made all the difference. Things we now take for granted.
I think we all understand what you're saying but the engine in a Burgman 400 is over-square in that the bore diameter is larger than the stroke. 81mmx77.6 mm if my memory serves me well. That is only 3.4mm difference so the engine is very close to being square.

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Oh....I was just testing to see if anyone would pick up on what square meant?

You are correct of course, and I thank you. Also, being over square means less piston travel at any given rpm.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 PM

Now this has been useful! Especially since I just went and filled my 2007 Burgman 400 up. I've been keeping track over the past couple of months and I'm averaging about 55 MPG (calculated) on a Burgman with 32,000 miles. I'd not thought about it a great deal and have been filling back up around 130-140 miles on a tank.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego joe View Post
Oh....I was just testing to see if anyone would pick up on what square meant?

You are correct of course, and I thank you. Also, being over square means less piston travel at any given rpm.
Ok, im with you. Did I pass?

I have a minimum range of 219 indicated. Have not pushed it beyoud 185 but on the highway it could go 250 miles between fueling. I would have long before that be looking for a rest stop.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome View Post
...on the highway it could go 250 miles between fueling.
I seriously doubt it. If you try, make sure you've got a gallon of gas on board. You're counting on 69 MPG. Ain't gonna happen at any speed on a Burgman 400.
Mike33 likes this.

Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1977 Cimatti City Bike
2003 Tomos A35 (65cc)
1999 Tomos LX Classic (65cc)
2006 TGB Laser R5
2010 SYM Symba ("Yogi")
2009 Genuine Buddy 125 ("Boo Boo")
2009 Genuine Buddy 150 Blackjack ("Jill")
2003 Honda Reflex
2013 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS ("Ingrid")
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:37 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
I seriously doubt it. If you try, make sure you've got a gallon of gas on board. You're counting on 69 MPG. Ain't gonna happen at any speed on a Burgman 400.
That is 250 projected based on actual gas mileage calculated over a measured distance (calibrated against DOT mile markers.
Last two rides I was out on I got 71 and 71.6 mpg The indicated mileage was 67.something mpg. Mind you it was on primary and secondary roads between 5000-6000 rpm. (50-60 actual mph) and 40-90 feet above sea level . I routinely get high 50's to mid 60's in stop and go traffic. I'm astounded because my 07 BV250 got 70-71 on the highway and low to mid 50's in town. Of course it was carbureted.

Last edited by Skunkhome; 11-16-2016 at 10:40 PM.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 AM

I have learned that elevation matters more than one might think. When you get to higher elevations, for example along I40 in NM, you'll find that the gas stations sell regular gasoline with less octane. The thinner air has less oxygen and the scooter cannot burn efficiently while oxygen starved and higher octane just sends wasted octanes out the tail pipe.
Let me tell my experience though, after 3 trips this summer that included crossing NM on I40, I found, after gassing up one time in ABQ (el 5300) that Chevron Regular with Techron, which is always a few more cents per gal, makes my scooter run better at elevation. The scooter sounds beefier (if a 400cc scooter can sound beefy) and has noticeably more power on the road, not a lot just noticeable, and my MPG is better with the Chevron. The less exciting experience was gassing up at a Circle K in Santa Rosa (el 4600) gas right after burning through a tank of the Chevron gas. ho hum. MPG was awful & sound was pathetic. With Chevron my MPG is 60+ even doing 80mph uphill, the Circle K krap was ~53mpg
Panda likes this.

Last edited by SilverSphinx; 11-17-2016 at 01:37 AM.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 09:51 PM

Octane, per se, is not about power, but rather ignition temperature. Premium grade fuel is used in high compression engines
to help prevent engine knocking (pre-detonation) since high compression engines heat the fuel/air mixture partially during the
compression phase of the piston stroke. FI adjusts the fuel mixture to accommodate the lesser atmospheric pressure at higher
altitudes for the proper fuel to air ratio. What you end up with is less power at a given throttle setting compared to what you
get at altitudes that are closer to sea level. Engines with carburetors on the other hand do not have automatic fuel metering
and would require adjustment of a pilot screw (if so equipped) or jet changes. Appropriate adjustments and/or changes that
would need to redone when returning to general altitudes. If not done, then the fuel/air mixture from a carburetor would be
rich and the engine would run poorly requiring more throttle to get enough power. Certainly using much more fuel per mile
than at lower altitudes. Returning to lower altitude with the carburetor still set for high altitude will have a too lean mixture
and the engine would run rough and/or poorly and would risk burning a hole in the piston.

Hard to say why you might be getting better mileage from a certain brand of gas, but the fuel that costs a little more just may
be fuel that does not contain ethanol. Gas with ethanol has less energy, so you might need to twist the throttle a little more to
get the same power as you would with non-ethanol laced fuel. In doing so you are using a larger volume of fuel; therefore lower
mpg. Premium fuel has about the same energy potential as mid-grade or regular grade fuel. (fuel excluding ethanol) There is
no advantage for an engine made to run on regular grade to be using a higher octane premium grade fuel... In fact, one would
only be spending more $$ for gas that works no better for that engine.
ducati14, dogboy and SilverSphinx like this.

Southeast Michigan Darkside rider

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by bandito2; 11-17-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.