Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Is there ANYONE who has just kept the stock rollers and liked them?

12K views 92 replies 28 participants last post by  Bolzen 
#1 ·
As always I have done a thread search and what I have found is TONS of people have made the switch to sliders.

Are there people here that are just plain happy with the stock rollers? Cause I have a new set of OEM stock rollers and I am about to install them. Just don't want to be disappointed because after tear down I found my used bike has Dr. Pulley sliders.

Thank you for your opinions on this. I want to get riding again!

#2 ·
You're asking a perfectly legitimate question!
I rode my new400 for a year, stock.
Just put in 18g sliders....more revs & hence smoother off the line .....less power at highway speeds due to lower revs.
Your feeling of change will depend on what wt sliders you've been riding with. If your rollers are heavier than those old sliders you will see lower revs at low speed and more at high speeds...with more power up there as well.
Remember....Suzuki designed the scooter with this type and weight of cvt weights. Lots of folks across the world are enjoying these stock Burgmans!! They offer Suzuki's best all around performance. Use them with confidence & enjoy the ride.
Stig

#3 ·
Excellent! And you know what...if I don't like my new stock rollers I can open a beer and put in new sliders. I was very happy how easy it was to gain access to the belt and variator. I mostly ride side roads for fun.

#5 ·
As with my recently sold 2003 '400 Burgman, in which I had run DRP sliders for 5 years, I just installed DRP sliders into my "new-to-me" 2006 Silver Wing and would not go back to the OEM rollers if paid to do so.

As to what to do "when they wear out", with over 35k miles on them the sliders on my '03 400 were literally like new--I am not sure they do wear out?

#6 · (Edited)
Yes. Going on 10 years riding stock rollers. They work fine. I've really no problem with any performance profile of the rollers. Okay, they're not as sexy as sliders, but they are reliable and predictable as heck; attributes often under appreciated.

#7 ·
I wonder what weight your sliders are? You can weigh them if you have a jewelry scale. You can see from the comments so far that this conversation goes both ways, as it always has. I had stock 19 gram rollers in mine when I got it, and a year later I switched to the 18 gram DR Pulley sliders. I rode with them for a year and now I have the DRP 16 gram sliders. I love the sliders and would not go back to rollers. So it is a matter of choice. The only way to know for sure its to go ahead and drop those rollers that you have in, and ride it and see how it compares. Then you will know for sure. It's not a big deal to change them out, if you can do it yourself.

#9 ·
Have stock rollers that were changed out when I did a belt change. No issues and mostly two up touring. By the way still have original Suzuki installed 3 shoe clutch in use and very little wear showing. Get on the throttle and don't lug the Burgman. Have about 44000 klms on the '07 from new.

#11 ·
I would guess that the vast majority of Burgman owners have stock rollers and are happy with them. You are seeing pretty selective group in this forum that represents a small fraction of total Burgman owners.
That said, I have sliders and have replaced them once with new sliders. Then again, if the price were equal, I'd be hard pressed to come down hard on either side of the question. Both will keep you moving down the road.

#16 ·
Ran Dr Pulley siders for approximately maybe 13,000 miles. Might have been faster off the line compared to rollers, although based on butt dyno without any objective measurement. Biggest advantage was more relaxed RPMs at highway speeds, but there seems to be an inherent drawback to this as well.

Recently completed transmission overhaul: New belt, fixed and moveable variator, and back to OEM rollers. I suspected sliders had flipped, based on a sudden change in RPMs at highway speeds. Found that indeed a few had flipped (maybe because of belt dust in the variator?).

No regrets now that I am back to rollers. Acceleration still seems quick enough off the line. Highway RPMs not as relaxed as sliders, but much improved acceleration for manuevers and passing at highway speeds. With most everything new in the CVT the RPMs at highway speed are lower than the indicated speed on the speedometer, but not to the dramatic extent that happens with sliders. Another adbvantage of rollers, is no worry of flipping down the line.

Side note: Because of the crazy cost of Suzuki rollers ($9.00 apiece, really?) I looked around for alternatives and found that Bando (repectable OEM and aftermarket parts manufacturer) makes OEM style rollers. Purchased a set from overseas. I will try to remember to post an update next time I have the CVT cover off for servicing.

#20 ·
I have simply stayed with the stock configuration for reliability. I like the sliders until they flip LOL.... I know this is something with my bike but for ease of use I'll stay stock OEM rollers and be happy :)

#23 · (Edited)
One of the good things in Europe is that there is a high concentration of maxi scooters in the cities.
Maxis rule in places like Paris, Bordeaux or Madrid

It's easy to try lots of different combinations without risking any money to experiment.
Bikes get swapped during ride outs and when people help each other out working on bikes, well, there has to be a test ride :)

Edit: +1 on the rpm
Give the short throw engine it's legs - it peaks well up in the rev range

#25 ·
Guys, if you say performance suffers somewhere with the dps, it means wrong weight is likely chosen. There's simply no spot in the power band, motorway or parking lot, where rollers could be more effective providing correct slider weight in the variator.

I you don't want to try it, that doesn't mean it's bad.

#27 ·
A lot of people assume high RPM=more engine wear. But engines that are designed to run at high RPM for extended periods of time are very happy to do just that. The piston stroke is always shorter in these types of engines. The real enemy is lugging. It puts lots of stress on the crank bearing and that is where your wear will be.

After riding a few hundred miles with sliders I never noticed any lugging of the engine. I am just saying running higher RPM will not wear down this type of engine. There were some serious geniuses who developed the 400 engine. It feels like a sewing machine under my butt. I love it. Never been on a single piston engine of this size and felt such smoothness :)

#29 ·
There were some serious geniuses who developed the 400 engine.
Absolutely.

with the transmission you can't get something for nothing, there has to be a loss.

Asymmetrical sliders pull off a neat trick - but it is still a compromise, just a different compromise.
It depends which one suits you.

Well set up sliders will give you a mildly quicker launch.

Then they hit peak torque at about the same road speed as standard rollers so the advantage starts diminishing.

At 50-70 mph the rollers put you at peak power rpm (this is the bit I prefer, it takes over naturally from peak torque and for me it puts the oomph where I need it). The rollers now have the advantage and I can catch the DPS bike.

Beyond 90 mph the stock rollers push the rpm into unkind territory and the sliders have the advantage again.

For me, peak power is in the right place with stock rollers (for overtaking/joining)
Somebody else will have different preferences and different road conditions.

Either way, you can't gain everywhere with no losses

#35 · (Edited)
As I understand the way Dr Pulleys are promoted in their video by the company that makes them, they : increase low end rpm's....and decrease high end rpm's.
Looking at the surface of the front CVT discs it is clear from the wear marks that it is the SHAPE of the sliders that pushes the belt higher on the face of the disc. Not the weight.
No matter what weight Dr P. you use their shape will cause the belt to run further towards the edge of the disc - effectively changing the gearing - at low and high engine speeds.
More zip off the line is off-set by lower rpm's up top. The belt cannot help it -- it is going to get pushed further up there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

Me.....I don't run highways for more than a few miles - and never at rush hour. I do not need quick acceleration in the 70>9 bazillion mph range. If I did I'd take the sliders out.
When I start riding two up with my spouse - I'll take them out. I'll want Suzuki's power across the range.
Sliders aren't magic - just a different shape CVT weight. They cannot do what round weights do. Rollers cannot do what sliders do. No matter the weight.
Stig
(the closest thing to magic I've found is the switch to Iridium spark plugs - smoother idle)

#36 ·
As I understand the way Dr Pulleys are promoted in their video by the company that makes them, they : increase low end rpm's....and decrease high end rpm's.
Looking at the surface of the front CVT discs it is clear from the wear marks that it is the SHAPE of the sliders that pushes the belt higher on the face of the disc. Not the weight.
No matter what weight Dr P. you use their shape will cause the belt to run further towards the edge of the disc - effectively changing the gearing - at low and high engine speeds.
More zip off the line is off-set by lower rpm's up top. The belt cannot help it -- it is going to get pushed further up there!

Me.....I don't run highways for more than a few miles - and never at rush hour. I do not need quick acceleration in the 70>9 bazillion mph range. If I did I'd take the sliders out.
When I start riding two up with my spouse - I'll take them out. I'll want Suzuki's power across the range.
Sliders aren't magic - just a different shape CVT weight. They cannot do what round weights do. Rollers cannot do what sliders do. No matter the weight.
Stig
(the closest thing to magic I've found is the switch to Iridium spark plugs - smoother idle)

Sorry to have to say it but size (or in this instance, mass) matters.
Shape determines endpoints, to an extent. Mass determines the equilibrium point, e.g. the actual slider position, hence the transmission ratio for a given RPM.

#38 ·
FWIW I just installed 26 g sliders in my '06 Silver Wing-withthe same impact as 18 g sliders on my '03 400 Burgman--better initial acceleration due to engine revs settling in closer to the torque peak, and reduced revs at steady cruising speeds. I wish the revs on accleration were a bit higher so i will either get a set of 26 g weights, or get a set of 22 g and experiment with four 22 g and four 26 g.

Re: the overall concept of performance mods I have found over the years that there are many who can remain quite content with "one-size-fits-all" less than optimal OEM configurations--and there are those like your's truly who are never content until they have eaked out all they can--it's that "different strokes" thing...

#49 · (Edited)
interesting discussion. I just wonder when somebody says "there is less torque at X RPM" have you tested that on the Dyno?

I ran all my transmission OEM. and I'm happy with it. I guess I like the bikes revving. I'm used to switch gears at 12-13K when racing my little 250 so I understand machines like to be rev'd up.

I dont really understand people who like the Burgman to ride at "lower revs". I guess its just for the "piece of mind". lol

Reactions: sirkitrider-2
#50 ·
interesting discussion. I just wonder when somebody says "there is less torque at X RPM" have you tested that on the Dyno?
There're only two points of interest for Burgie -- max engine torque, and max torque at the rear wheel, i.e max power output, since power is proportional to the torque and rpm. With dps setting the rpm to a desired value, the variator does everything rest, i.e. selects either economy or power mode.

Reactions: fernando
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.