Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

fuel issue?

7K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Ylandiau 
#1 ·
i did everything to the bike to get it ready to run again but when it wasnt starting i decided to check the fuel lines since i exhausted everything else and no fuel...need an idea on how to either test the fuel pump or test the relay...really trying not to take off all the tupperware on it again...

#4 ·
Sounds an obvious question but how much gas is in the tank? There must be enough gas to completely submerge the intake of the pump. And make sure the gas cap is on fully as the tank has to build up positive pressure on fuel injected models, although that shouldn't stop it from starting up initially. Testing procedure is outlined in the workshop manual. I don't have one to hand at this very moment. Haynes do a good one and it's cheaper than the Suzuki book. Just one other thing. When you say you checked the fuel lines, did this include just the line going to the injector? If there is no fuel then the filter in the pump is blocked or the pump is malfunctioning as you already know. Because you hear it whirring doesn't mean it's ok. Let us know what you find.

#5 ·
Under the front cowling are 2 relay switches located on the left upper next to each other, "facing the bike head on." One is for the kick stand and the other is for the fuel pump.
You can switch them around and see if that helps.
Disconnect the fuel line from the injector. Cycle the key on and off 3 times. There should be a strong flow of fuel.
If not, you may have to pull the fuel pump and connect it directly to a battery and see if it will pump fuel that way. Check your O-rings while you are in there. Be sure your tank is half empty before pulling the fuel pump.

#7 ·
there was very little gas in the tank for a while so i filled it up and i took the line off and no gas came out when i tried starting it, have not cyled it yet and would really like to not open the fuel tank, is there a way to wire it so i can test while still in the tank? and also the cap is very tight and wont let me take the key out unless it is fully closed. By the way the bike has less than 10k miles on it.

here is some more info http://burgmanusa.com/forums/23-newbie-questions/117145-left-bike-sitting-while.html#post1220370

#8 ·
.. and also the cap is very tight and wont let me take the key out unless it is fully closed.
For your convenience, you can put that keyed gas cap away
in a safe place, & use a gas cap from a 2000 Honda Civic...
no worry about breaking off a key in a stubborn gas cap.
The Civic cap works great.
( '03 to '06 Burgman 400 only)

#12 ·
if the pump is working but no fuel is coming out the end of the gas line that connects to the injector, I would say, pull the pump. check the o rings in the pump and test the pump to be sure it is working before putting it back in. the bike doesn't have enough miles on it to be having this trouble so soon. its hard to say. there might be a vapor lock in the fuel line, but disconnecting the line from the injector and cycling the key should fix that problem. maybe someone with more knowledge can better help you.

#16 ·
recently tested the pump by giving it power and i hear it moving but still no fuel and now i ran into i cant get the tank out...the picture shows a bar in front of the tank and the manual i have says to move it forward but the bar is there so.....yeah....any suggestion on how to get it out?

#17 ·
you don't have to pull the tank, just the fuel pump. unbolt the fuel pump disconnect the wire from the left side. pull up on the pump, turn and tilt.
you will have to remove the 90 degree breather hose from the injector. on the 2008 model that is. you will also have to remove the fuel line from the pump.

#24 ·
I wouldn't buy a fuel pressure regulator until I tested it first. you probably wont find one in the usa. it will have to ship from japan. once you have all your parts and put back together. see if it works, then you will know if you need a regulator. you can do all this without putting it back together in the bike it self.
try blowing everything out with and air hose. maybe you will get lucky and not have to buy anything.

#26 · (Edited)
As a newbie to this forum I find all kinds of interesting things. As a British classic car mechanic for some 50 odd years I find the information here great. That being said I would like to put my two cents in on this conversation. Did you have your bike stored for the winter? If so did you put in so kind of gas stabilize? If the bike has been sitting for more than a month gas can cause a problem. The methanol collects moisture and you end up with this thick yuk that sinks to the bottom. When yoi try to start the engine it sucks that yuk and plugs everything. You can check at your auto parts store for something to clean out the gunk that can build up and plug up every thing. I know that modern gas can cause problems with old fuel lines. Was a big problem on my boat. Like wise I always use premium in all my bike and add stabilize to the tank if the bike is going to set for more than a month. I use premium gas mainly because it's better for the bike in many ways. Good luck, I will follow this with interest... Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68

#28 · (Edited)
Unleaded gas has methal at 10% at most pumps. That 10% attracts water and separates and turns to this gunk which sinks to the lowest part's of your fuel system. I would check to see where your fuel is flowing from. I would start at the first fuel line coming from the tank and work towards the carb or FI. There are several fuel line cleaner's available at auto supply stores that will clean out that gunk. Good luck...Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.