Darkside to Car Tire Installed Today & History Updates - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Darkside to Car Tire Installed Today & History Updates

Replaced the present Car Tire at 24,050 miles and guess could have gone another 1000 or 2000 based on fact that edge still had estimated 1/10 rubber. However, it was for most part slick (left edge). Right edge not slick yet. Everythin below wear indicators for some time.

Much easier replacement this time than the troubles I had in previous Post BECAUSE Bob did it with his removal / install machine and spin balance machine.

Don't know what pressure he used to seatt it -- I am not sure I wanted to know.

$20 wheel off, use to be $15 wheel off. Either raised price or based it on fact he had to reset machine and extra weigh balancing.

Pictures;

Show old (24,050 Miles) and new Car Tire (same brand).

Show cut I made along edge to see how much rubber was left (I did not reach cord - hard to cut). Micrometer said 0.085 inch (estimate about 1/10 inch left). Except for being slick on left edge and below wear indicators everyplace, could run another 2000 I think. Might be concern about the slick if road was wet. I did not notice any problems last 1000 or more miles.

Pretty easy Wheel Off as you know - No need to remove plastic, take muffler to exhaust pipe clamp loose, three muffler mounting bolts, remove caliper, remove swing arm (triangle with axle nut holding one end and two bolts on front section, then pull wheel off (splines in Hub and Axle).

Then load wheel and new tire on NINJA TRUCK and go to Bob's. His part was about 30 MIN to replace tire. Very Professional Capable Mechanic with 28 years of owning a shop before he retired here and about 8 or more MCs of his he is an enthusiast and loves working on bikes.

I have wheel back on and swing arm on (finger tight). I have to get new rear pads as mine are Paper Thin. Then install Caliper and Torgue Swing Arm and Axle. Then install muffler and good to go for another 24K or 25K miles.

$46.15 for tire and $20 for install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (81.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (61.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (93.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (117.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (93.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 06.JPG (84.8 KB, 76 views)
captainfish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

EBC Rear Brake Pads came in Friday (Mountain Motor Sports ordered and received). Installed -- Pictures show views of the setup.

1) Worn Pads -- Bottom one was on the metal at top edge (about 1/8 inch).
2) Shows assembly of pads (old one) and the Bolts that have to be removed to get the pads out and in (Allen Head). I partly installed them for the picture, to show them.
3) The Piston with ( + ) is the one that has to be screwed in.
4) I used end of Flat File to screw it in.
NOTE: Clean the pistons as best you can before pushing back in.
5) I cleaned up the OEM parts and reused them - used alcohol and a rag just to get the worse off.
6) New pads ready to install.

Only real problem is messing with the Emergency Brake Piston as you have to screw that one in (it does not push in like other pistons). I screwed that piston in all the way with end of a Flat File. Then after getting everything installed, you have to mess with Emergency Brake Adjustment. Not sure I followed normal procedures for all that, but it works.

I then torqued Swing Arm Bolts (2 of them) and Torqued Axle Nut and installed muffler.

Rode about 180 miles Saturday and 209 miles Sunday (today).

All seems OK, but maybe a bit out of balance problem (felt at 70 plus MPH). Guy did spin balance, I would think it was done right as the guy is a Do it Right Guy.

I don't know. Maybe my front tire as it has some wear and scalloping. Maybe nothing, but I seem to feel a vibration (not bad) that I do not remember with old tire.

No pictures of tire wear yet as not may miles on the tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (117.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (77.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 12.JPG (77.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 13.JPG (70.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 14.JPG (88.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 16.JPG (85.8 KB, 30 views)
captainfish likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Super Poster

thanks for the pics...looks like removing muffler is necessary before rear wheel can come off.

is this your first rear brake pad change @ 24k miles?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Super Poster

Whoa. I thought it was on your 650 until I noticed the oil fill on the right hand side. My oil fill on 2013 650 Burg is on the left side.

Is this tire change on your Burg 400 or 650? Thanks for the photo's.

Rich Albuquerque, NM
"Do or do not, there is no 'try.'
2013 Burgman 650, White
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Whoa. I thought it was on your 650 until I noticed the oil fill on the right hand side. My oil fill on 2013 650 Burg is on the left side.

Is this tire change on your Burg 400 or 650? Thanks for the photo's.
The 400 - This is second Car Tire for this Scooter.
First Tire Change (DETAILS included in a POST on the FORUM last Jan/FEB).

Muffler, yes - must remove on the 400. Details posted on first Car Tire Change (it shows one way to do it - mainly tie muffler up to support it while taking bolts loose and pulling it off the exhaust pipe). The 2011 has a clamp at Exhaust Pipe from engine to the muffler pipe (easy to get to, the post shows how I did it).

I am not putting all those deatails nad pictures I shopwed befroe and no need tos heo again. si
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

I am a little early searching for another Car Tire (Achilles Brand), but I am getting close to needing one at 37,837 as of Jan 1, 2017. Probably good for another 1000 or 3000 miles. Thinking about replacing and be ready for summer, plus better tire for rest of winter riding. I mean only about a $50 deal.

I installed 1st car tire at 6190 miles to replace the OEM and one at 24,050 to replace the first car tire. Now have about 39,200 (did not read since Jan 1).
So, got 15,860 first tire and now at 15,100 +/- on this one.

Anyway, just thought I would pass on some information from my search.

Using a 155 - 70R - 13 same as past two car tires

All that is documented on this FORUM (I searched back and found information on Page 33 - detailed on first installation and problems and less detailed on the second installation).

Anyway, previously I bought the tire fromwww.tireeasy.com). Achilles Premium 155 70R 13

Apparently, the tire model name has been changed to Platinum 7 (looks like the same tire).

Found it on a couple sites:

https://simpletire.com/achilles-155-...ae157013-tires $35.99 plus shipping (I have not ordered yet, so don't know exactly what it will be, but that is cheaper than TireEasy was.

https://www.onlinetires.com/cart.php for $29.93 plus shipping quoted at $20.16 = $50.09 total

I don't think this is the Premium 7 - It's called an Achilles 122 (it's T Rated)
I would prefer the other Premium 7 -- For INFO, here it is.
https://www.tires-easy.com/cart for $28.86 Plus shipping $23.60 = $52.46
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

I decided on the OnLineTire and ordered from them. Very good service and delivery. Info on last post.

Not to happy the tire was built week 43 of 2014 (it's over 2 years old) and will be awhile before I put it on (have not wore out old one).

Not a real problem as far as I am concerned, up to 5 years is OK. Jsut would have preferred a newer made tire.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
I've been extremely happy with the Nokian winter tire with which I darksided my 650. So I'm trying a Nokian winter tire on the 400K7 next. Reports to follow.
Dave_J and ducati14 like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by miken6mz View Post
I've been extremely happy with the Nokian winter tire with which I darksided my 650. So I'm trying a Nokian winter tire on the 400K7 next. Reports to follow.
I did a POST on Burgman 400 site sometime ago regarding DARKSIDE on my Burgman 400. You might want to search it. The one I am using has symmetrical tread (not really a big deal, but I think works a bit better).

Get about 20K Miles on the Car Tire.

Good Luck doing it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Turbo Poster

Hey Paul, I noticed on the top post, first pic where you show old vs new tire... you say they are the same, but the new looks about an inch shorter. Is that because the old is still on wheel and aired up?

Do you notice a tendency to stay straight up on the car tire, as opposed to being able to easily lean it over in a curve with a rounded tire?

Thanks.

Oh... and how hard was it to convince BOB of putting on a car tire on the MC wheel?

Current Owner:
My 2nd 2005 Blue Burgman 650

Previous owner:
1987 Honda Helix
January 2005 Blue Burgman 650
"Blue Lightning"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo Gallery:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.