Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Bike gets taller after riding

4K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Bluebottle 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got out this weekend and rode the bike for 100 miles. I'm 5' 7" and 170 pounds. With the low seat, I barely get my feet on the ground. After riding the bike about a half hour, the bike increases in height by about 2 inches. Then, I can only get my toes on the ground. It became really difficult to back the bike up on an incline. I'm not happy with the bike. It is built for tall people only.

John

#6 ·
I have a 400 as well, and have found that riding the scooter with military boots add 2 inches to my ground where I can easily touch the ground. You should wear some boots

#8 ·
I'm 5'5", 148 lbs, w/ a 29" inseam..... yet I can completely flat floot my 400, w/ a slight bend in the knees when seated on the stock seat. Shock's preload is set @ 2 clicks firmer than stock setting. Not sure why your scoot's increasing height when riding...it could be that your linkage is binding, not allowing your suspension to drop down to stock height?

#10 ·
DOn't look like it.
Part numbers for springs, shock, linkage, front fork damper are identical for 2014=2013=2012. .

#12 ·
YOur scoot's still under warranty? Might be a good time to get it to a dealer to have them check it out.

#13 ·
I would try moving the suspension down to the softest setting first, then see how it feels but I don't see how it could be getting taller while riding either. Do you have any sense of taller in the front vs. the back? I guess its possible the oil in the forks could thicken and cause them not to relax as much raising the front higher when hot, but I figured the opposite would be true. When stopped hold the front brake, then grab rear and left front lose and repeat to see if the front end drops any from the motion and this might help to tell if the front forks are standing up for some reason. Bounce on the seat to see if you make the back relax any when parking to see if that changes anything.

Just some random thoughts, I've never noticed this on mine before in the 43k I've ridden.

#14 ·
I think the problem is not the bike, it may be you. do you have any health issues such as fluids retention? it may cause you to be short after sitting for awhile.

#15 ·
Doc, this is not normally possible so there is something not right with your bike. Springs don't expand by 2" when hot or warm. Is the bike handling ok? In any case you should get the bike checked as something may be getting hung up, and this could be anything from the shock unit cantilever mechanism, to the engine mount/swivels. It could be a potential problem that could adversely affect the handling while you ride. Don't delay in getting into the shop.

#16 ·
Dunno what to think even. 6'.0 and i find the bike a bit short and low, what height is it designed for then :confused: Given other characteristics, this particular one is not a big deal to me :D

#18 ·
After riding around for awhile stop by a dealer and sit on a new 400 and see if there is any difference. If there is immediately ask the shop foreman to sit on both bikes and get his opinion. He should be able to see the difference and tell you what's wrong.

#19 · (Edited)
This is odd! Does the rear suspension ride rough?

One thing for sure hot springs would not cause this. When springs get hot they LOOSE ability not gain it. Also for a suspension coil spring to get hot enough to have severe issues would require a torch.

I could see the damping of the shock causing problems if the oil is too thick or the holes are partially plugged. Jedd's idea of the link binding is a possible too.

If the bike is under warranty take it to your dealer. If not you could try a new coil-over unit or lower the seat - they can be bought from Japan or you can take your seat to an upholstery shop.

#23 ·
There's your answer! If you use the rear brake to hold the bike stationary pointing up a steep hill, the bike will ride up on it's rear suspension as the weight is taken by the rear wheel. This will cause the issue you are concerned about. If you use the front brake only then this won't happen. It's all completely normal. You probably notice it because you are not a tall person. Had us all worried for a moment.

#21 ·
Have you thought about dismounting off the seat and standing up w/ your butt in front of the tip of the seat once you come to a rest? I do this when I ride the 650, which has a seat height that's 1-2" taller than the 400.

#25 ·
Your tires are making the difference when hot....they are too soft to be safe.
That's your height difference as they heat up to 50 lb or so after riding.

The machine is clearly a bit big for your size.

I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam and I'm fine with it.

But 5' 7" - that's tough.

#27 · (Edited)
Your only course is to get the seat shaved, some taller boots...and lots of practice.

My riding partner is shorter than I am I think he handles his Burgman 650 better than I do.
Commuting on magnificent twisties 50 km each way every day makes for a confident rider.
You can't run at that tire pressure safely.
There might be a lower profile tire you can find but stock tires are normal profile ( Metz tend to a sharper profile )>

IF you can master the weight and height of the machine, it is simply a brilliant ride. Best all around machine I"ve owned in 50 years of riding.

Worth the effort.
The side stand on them is excellent but be careful of cambers. The bike weighs so much it's a bear if tipped too far. Easy to strain a muscle.

I think a 1/2" higher boot and 1" out of the seat is acheivable.

Nearly all bikes will have a 31" seat height so the Burgman 650 is lower than most at 29.7.

The bike normally would develop some "sag" ( mine sure does :D ) but you are light weight as well so that's not likely to help you over time.
It will even take time for the seat to break in as well.

The ride however is worth the effort.

Make sure your riding gear is not binding as well as that can affect your leg stretch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.