Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Bike gets taller after riding

4K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Bluebottle 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got out this weekend and rode the bike for 100 miles. I'm 5' 7" and 170 pounds. With the low seat, I barely get my feet on the ground. After riding the bike about a half hour, the bike increases in height by about 2 inches. Then, I can only get my toes on the ground. It became really difficult to back the bike up on an incline. I'm not happy with the bike. It is built for tall people only.

John

#29 ·
I'm 5'1". I am feeling pretty proud of myself reading this thread that I'm able to manuver as well as I do on this bike. Glad to read the info about using the rear brake on an incline! I just scootch all the way forward on the seat when I come to a stop. I also have boots with an additional lift.

#30 ·
if anything would expand, it would be the air in the tires, but that wouldn't account for 2".
yeah - it would his tire pressures were way low

#31 ·
If it's only happening pointing up a steep hill when stationary as the op mentions, then using the front brake to hold the bike still instead of the rear will completely prevent the problem, so in my view the bike is fine for you. I have a lady who brings her 400 in for service and she is just 5'6" and she manages fine. I haven't asked what inseam she has as that seems inappropriate!

#33 ·
I discussed this with the dealer and he said yes, it can get higher when you ride because the tires inflate more, etc. The don't want to take in on trade because they already have two.

Quantum Mechanic: women have much greater inseams than men. I know a women my height (5' 7" will have a 30-31 inseam).

But, forget all that. The bottom line is I'm tearing muscles trying to reach the ground with the bike. It is not for me. I only wish I could trade it in for another, like the C50. And, I know I'm going to lose about $4,000 on the trade. This is NY. You cannot test drive a motorcycle and you are screwed it it doesn't work out.

John

#35 ·
What is your inseam?

#36 ·
We should not support dealers who don't allow test rides, period.

You don't want to get hurt on this machine but part of the problems seems to be your lack of confidence. Why not try the higher boots and then take it away from city and ride it and practice start/stops on flat and then gently incline surface. ee if it gets your confidence up.

If not put it up for sale on here and Craigslist or Ebay, understanding you are going to lose a good bit of money.

#38 ·
Doc, the amount the bike raises after a journey is negligible. The dealer is exaggerating the issue. Your wheel/tyre when hot expands only the tiniest amount when stationary, and not enough for you to notice so that's not the problem. Earlier you mentioned it happens when on an uphill steep incline when stationary. Like I said, it's a brake thing. Just get used to using the other lever (front brake) to hold the bike. This will make the back of the bike go down, not up. The back brake will make the bike raise at the back under those circumstances on an uphill section. Also, make sure your suspension is set low at the back. I understand this is knocking your confidence, but it's easily overcome if you want to. And of course, as some have said, it's worth getting a lower seat if it really is a problem. You don't loose any real money that way. The B400 is worth it I assure you.

#39 ·
Let's see 670 lb of bike and rider on an under inflated tire and you think the change will be tiny once the tire heats up???
...I think you are wrong.
An underinflated tire heats more than a correctly inflated tire.

#41 ·
Hi, I have a 2012 AN 400 and am only 5ft 4in and have no problem flat footing it at stops. Don't know what my inseam is but when I buy pants, I try and get petite ones as then they don't need hemming. If I get the regular pant length ones, I have to turn up a couple of inches and hem them.
I actually use both brakes at a complete stop, just feel more comfortable doing this. The 400 is a great machine and it does take a while and some time of riding to get comfortable with all of its features and quirks. Yes it does have some quirks - make sure the front wheel is straight when you back it up otherwise it will very quickly over balance and down it goes. Found that out a few times before I figured it out, and it is very heavy to lift up, even watching that woman lift the motorcycle in the video does not help.
Sally:p

#43 ·
There is something very much wrong with this gentleman's situation and I have a tough time believing it is the Burgman. He is obviously uncomfortable with it in certain situations and either needs more experience on it or another bike. The Burgman 200 might be perfect for him.

#47 · (Edited)
Applying one brake on a hill creates a "fulcrum", a single point that the bike will rotate around.
Facing uphill:

The wheel still wants to roll back down the hill. But now it is locked to the bike.
Applying the back brake - the rotation of the wheel lifts the bike (until the weight of the bike balances the pull down the hill) ; it raises the bike

Applying the front causes the rotation to push the bike into the ground. It lowers the bike

The front brake can be a bit harsh at low speed but I bet if you hold it on the front brake only I bet the problem reduces.

Your tire pressure sounds correct, perhaps 650 owners are thinking of there own pressures?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.