Givi T496 Tunnel Bag - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: 2009 Burgman 650 Executive, Black
Garage
Default Givi T496 Tunnel Bag

I received a new Givi T496 Tunnel Bag from Kiwi Dave this past week. It appears to be the latest model from Givi as most of the prior models are now discontinued. This tunnel bag is very well constructed and has plenty of ample storage space for whatever you may items you may want quick access to; whether its the side pockets or the large top main compartment. I can see using this for storage of maps and route guide books while out on a trek through the back roads of WV.

The bag comes with a strap to secure it, which may be useful on a small scooter. However, I noticed it was not really needed as it tucked in nicely in the open area of both my wife's Burgman 400 and my 650 Exec. From my limited experience, I can see riding with it sitting there without the need for securing it in place. My reasoning, besides that it isn't going to go flying off, is it's much easier to lift it out of the way when getting on/off the Burgman and then returning it to its resting place. This makes it so much easier than having to lift your leg over the added height, which is, after all, a scooter benefit. For the Burgman 400, you simply lift it out of the way to dismount and leave it on the back seat to re-fuel, then put it back when you're seated and ready to depart. It can be stored under the seat for security, or you can attach the carry strap and take it with you.

This is my first tunnel bag, but so far, I'm very happy with this product and can see it having many uses, especially considering the small space available in the glove compartments.

So, if this review is useful, give Kiwi Dave a shout, he can hook you up with some of the best prices and his service is absolutely second to none.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1556.JPG (71.8 KB, 2180 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1571.JPG (33.2 KB, 2171 views)
Big Jake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Default Re: Givi T496 Tunnel Bag

Great to see that the bag will sit their without the strap and sticky Velcro.
$98.00 including delivery

USA, lower 48 states only

Manufacturer of Kiwi Made Sidecase Racks and Supplier of Givi accessories.
http://sites.google.com/site/suzukiburg ... racks/home
Kiwi Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
From my limited experience, I can see riding with it sitting there without the need for securing it in place.
Securing with Velcro or adding snaps has been the reason I don't have one yet. Let us know how it works. It does look like it would stay in place, and not move with it between your legs. This might be my next purchase...

Toys:

'06 Silver Burgman 400 - Add-ons so far: Suzuki keychain
'06 Orange Rakatak 150cc (Chinese scooter)
'08 Q-Link Star 50cc
'79 Honda XR 185 (Make an offer on it)

Class 'C' Motorhome
Crestliner 1850 Sportfish
Jon_C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

If I remember correclty (not a high probability event) someone in the past posted how they had added snaps to the tunnel to secure the bag.. If so I would like to know more about that possibility as I too am interested in this bag.. Also price form Kiwi dave?
Ram Mount (hard wired) for Garmin GPS
Givi Hump Bag
SpeedoDRD speedometer calibrater
Breakaway Throttle Control
GIVI Windshield
GIVI V46 Top Case w Admore LED run/turn/brake light kit.
6200 miles as od 09/05/2014
Bergy45 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Poster

I have a tunnel bag on my 650 and find it super handy for the smaller stuff I need to store and grab often, like gloves, sunglasses, snacks, etc., especially when I have the underseat storage and glove boxes full, and also have a tail bag on the passenger area and don't want to have to move that to get to needed items underseat.

Personally, I don't like the idea of having anything that isn't tied down on the bike with me, in the event I have a very sudden need to stop or avoid a tipover, or move my leg to swat at an angry bee, for example, i.e., when my natural tendency is to also worry about loose cargo or carriers. I also don't like the fact that if I have the storage full and want to leave the bike, I either have to cable the tunnel bag to the bike somehow, or take the bag with me.

My tunnel bag has a strap at the back edge on each side of the bottom for securing it, and I've put that under the very front inside of my seat, so the bag is attached there with a snap closure on each end and also in the door of the glove box. When it's too much trouble to put my leg over the bag, I can just unlock the glove box and the bag will swing away enough, and then it's easy enough to re-secure it by simply closing and locking the glove box. I don't need to take the bag with me when I leave, though it's very easy to do it I need to do that. I don't worry about someone taking the bag, and even though someone might attempt to remove the bag by unsnapping the ends of that tie-down, they'd also have to cut the strap that's fastened inside the glove box. If they want it that badly, I'm sure they'll just open it and take what's inside, instead of hunting up a knife.

Knowing the bag is going to stay with the bike, I don't have to worry about it shifting or that I might lose it along the way. I just don't like the idea of thinking I need to keep track of anything that's unattached to the bike, just as I don't like having any hanging straps or loose fitting baggage. And the thought of having the bag disembark from my bike and land in front of some other unsuspecting rider just worries me too much. I know, the likelihood of the bag getting away is remote...but history shows me that if Murphy is around, he'll probably fine me in a weak moment.

I think I have enough to think about when I'm riding without such a concern, and I suspect the manufacturers of tunnel bags that fit and are designed to be used on maxi-scooters feel there's reason to secure the bag to the bike.

Just my 2-cents worth, but it works for me.
Patriot Guard Riders of Washington State
Ride Captain, Peninsula District
Garnet is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does someone know real capacity of GIVI t496? I saw 18 L on some web pages, but 22 L on GIVI site. Which is correct? If t496 is 22 L, I would like to buy it, but if it has 18 L, I would not buy.
Moon shadow Nnight is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Bike Type: 2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Hi,

Does the T496 have the means to tuck a part of a strap (or something) under the seat? My concerns are both the possibility of it somehow flying away (as Garnet mentions above) and to prevent someone from walking off with it. I would use it on my 2011 Burg 400.

thanks,
Pete
pdxstriper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Garage

Saw this new item from Givi at a motorcycle show ast year and was very impressed. Think I'll get one when they come out next month. http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Tail-bags/XS305
1983 Puch Maxi 'pedal and pop'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46flaThC ... ata_player
Steve D UK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D UK
Saw this new item from Givi at a motorcycle show ast year and was very impressed. Think I'll get one when they come out next month. http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Tail-bags/XS305
I like the looks of that! I would definitely like to see the price and an actual photo of it mounted on a 650.

Phone charger plug
BrakeAway Throttle Lock
Bestem 929 Top Box
Isaiah 40:31 tag
grip puppies
16,000 miles
Chaplain KC is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

[quote=Chaplain KC]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D UK":284yh9im]Saw this new item from Givi at a motorcycle show ast year and was very impressed. Think I'll get one when they come out next month. [url="http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Tail-bags/XS305
http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Tail-bags/XS305[/url]
I like the looks of that! I would definitely like to see the price and an actual photo of it mounted on a 650. [/quote:284yh9im]

The XS305 is available and I can supply to BUSA members located in one of the lower 48 states for $235.00, this price includes delivery. The normal retail price is $259.00 plus delivery. I have not seen one mounted on either the 650 or 400 as a tunnel bag, It is designed to go across a seat. At a massive 60 liters, I would say that their may not be room in the tunnel for this bag or for or if their is, one might struggle to get one’s feet on the running boards?
[attachment=0:284yh9im]0_0_1_t#sizesxs305.jpg[/attachment:284yh9im]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0_0_1_t#sizesxs305.jpg (4.5 KB, 1208 views)

Manufacturer of Kiwi Made Sidecase Racks and Supplier of Givi accessories.
http://sites.google.com/site/suzukiburg ... racks/home
Kiwi Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.