Anybody used the pinstriping? - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Anybody used the pinstriping?

I've had bad luck with other reflective pinstriping I've bought...can't stretch it around sharp curves, snaps easily, peels off in little pieces, and just generally very fragile. TapeWork's RimStealth/Reflective Pinstriping has always been a joy to work with compared to any other vendor.

But curious about the StreetGlo stuff since alot of people here have their kits and graphics goodies. Anybody done any extensive work with the StreetGlo stuff? Am also curious about the SuperBlack.

Kevin(aka "CalvinFold")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Insane Poster

Re: Anybody used the pinstriping?

I used the Superblack to run along the edge of the tupperware on the side from the windshield all the way to the passenger foot rest on my 05. I was able to stretch it around the bend at the top of the foot area where it bends back to the dash without to much trouble. The bend up by the glove box where it goes back toward the windshield was more difficult but I eventually got it to go around there also.

--- Craig AKA Cliffhanger----
"Big Red" 2007 Red Executive - 134,093 miles
"Little Blue" 2006 Blue 400S - 47,506 miles
"STING" 05 B650 gone but not forgotten, RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have used the streetglow stuff with very good results. Both my bike and FIL's were done with it. Took my time and did it the dry method way and even got it to make the tight turns.
[attachment=1:2gqnudwe]IMG_0123.JPG[/attachment:2gqnudwe]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.JPG (129.5 KB, 1132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.JPG (106.5 KB, 1132 views)

JohnK
AN650A K6 (lifetime avg. 55 mpg)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

So it stretches decently? Does it stick right down or is it repositionable a little until it sits a day or two?

Some of the features I've come o expect from TapeWork's product (my "Gold Standard" to date for decals and pinstriping):

--Stretches slightly for going around sharp corners without puckering (i.e. the "outide edge" of the corner can stretch a bit longer than the inner side for a clean turn)

--Even when stretched, retains 99% of it's color and reflectivity and color (doesn't "go white" or fade when stretched slightly)

--For the first hour or so (at least) it can be pulled back up with little or no ill effect in case you spot a problem. I sometimes find as I try to go around tricky corners, or to trim an end "just right" that I have to stick it down, then pull it up, adjust it, and try again. The TapeWorks stuff is very tolerant of this and doesn't achieve maximum adhesion for a day or two. I've bought products that stick instantly and if you screw-up the stuff it a bear to get off even seconds later.

--Long lasting. I've had TapeWorks RimStealth (now simply "Reflective Colors" pinstriping) for over 5+ years with no degredation of the color or reflectivity.

I always use dry-apply for pinstriping, but have come to like wet-apply for tricky multi-piece custom graphics. For Flexichrome, it's almost mandatory to use wet-apply.

Thanks again!

Kevin(aka "CalvinFold")

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it will stretch some w/o puckering if you do it when temps are above 70F.

If you only gingerly tack it down you can reposition it. Once I have it where I want it I use a burnishing tool or the smooth side of the decal paper to burnish it down in place. As you know burnishing it in place creates a little more friction heat so that the glue really sets good and also helps to smooth out any tiny bubbles. Once burnished it is not coming up again.

On the bigger or more complicated decals I will use the wet-apply method to prevent tearing, over stretching or big air bubbles.

I have not had any problems with peeling, flaking or fading for up to 5+ years and some of the vehicles if done are not garaged.

I have had good luck with 3M and street glow products and their service.

I decaled a lot of the Countys' vehicles on the side.

JohnK

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

I met a pro decal artist who does large vehicles like transit buses. He gets access to some cool colors in reflective that I've never seen from vendors like StreetGlo or TapeWorks. Seen his work on buses, nice stuff and the material is really quality.

He's going to get me scrap sheets leftover from projects to play with.

Kevin(aka "CalvinFold")

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Well I e-mailed StreetGlo a few days ago but they never responded, and that always peeves me.

So I ordered other goodies that I didn't need to question: one of the helmet kits (in SuperBlack since I have a gloss black Shoei X-Eleven)...the one with the big thick loop from the chin to the top of the visor...a bunch of the "do not remove helmet" stickers (been looking for more of these). Wanted the "speed blocks" someone on this site was prototyping, but I guess they weren't for sale yet.

And I went ahead and got my pinstriping from TapeWorks. I noticed the StreetGlo SuperBlack doesn't come in a pinstripe version, which is what I was inquiring about, so it was a moot point anyway.

I also couldn't figure out what kinda of DOT tape StreetGlo is selling (what brand/type) so I got some Reflexite and SOLAS from Indenti-Tape to try, since they explicitly mention the brands.

If I had two pieces of advice for StreetGlo:

1.....Answer e-mails. For good customer service, that means within 24-48 hours. Anything else and why bother having an e-mail address customers can ask questions through?

2....Redesign the site. It's aweful, especially for Mac users. Hard to navigate, hard to read, hard to use. If I hadn't wanted what I wanted really badly, I'd have moved on without purchasing.

Kevin(aka "CalvinFold")

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Super Poster

JohnK- Nice job on the pinstriping. What width tape did you use?

Trn bpers and LED turn arrows ,ClearView -vent &tint,Streetglo refl. decals,cuphldrs,bkrest,beaded seat, powr distr syst, hump mat, grp puppies,Top Box, aux lighting,MCL RAM w GPS
---

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

RedRanger:
Sorry for the delay in answering, I was at the Blue Ridge Parkway Rally this weekend. I used the 6mm/ 1/4" streetglow tape. It is perfect width to go along the contour edges of the 650.

JohnK

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Poster

Thanks! much appreciated.

Trn bpers and LED turn arrows ,ClearView -vent &tint,Streetglo refl. decals,cuphldrs,bkrest,beaded seat, powr distr syst, hump mat, grp puppies,Top Box, aux lighting,MCL RAM w GPS
---

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.