Originally Posted by seatec
I think the narrow part should be at front and get wider as it goes back, they look backwards on your helmet, but thats just me, looks like teeth on a skull, and do I hate skuls on a bike
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
Doctor: "Then don't to that. That'll be $50."
For some reason I presumed that folks would be looking at and considering the Speed Blocks concept
. I never imagined for a second that my request would have garnered criticism of my layout, let alone the rorschach-esque analysis that it looked like a skull.
I only had a few small pieces to work with, and the intent was to "follow the lines" and accent the helmet in such a way that it would add visibility when I did things like turning my head for a look before changing lanes. The blocks as-provided happened to curve in the cut right as it came off the sheet, a bit more than I wanted in some places, and a bit less than desired in others. So when I wanted to make the blocks contour to the cam/pivot of my helmet, I had to use the "wet apply" method to get them to line up along the bottom edge of the surface. I'm sure that if you wanted, you could just as effectively flip over the blocks and apply them "the other way" so that they run small-to-large, but I stayed with the original design flow.
As it turns out, the "wet application" method is problematic in situations where you have a number of closely aligned pieces like the Speed Block design. Things move very freely with the soap infused water coating everything, which is great if it's all one large strip and you're trying to get it to contour to an odd shape. But in this case I had the issue of blocks moving when I was trying to position another next to it, as well as just getting blocks to sit in place after I lift my (wet) finger off of them. That's why the "front" blocks on the helmet are simply applied with their out-of-the-box spread - I was mentally exhausted getting the first set applied to the cam area, so I dry-applied the strips on the front and rear center and was done with it (and quite happy, I might add).
For what it's worth, I suggested that they add a few of the smaller speed blocks with no out-of-the-box curve to the cut, which I think would make things a bit more versatile when applying to helmets and other odd places on the bike.
I'm glad I discovered the perils of wet application for this design on my helmet instead of a very large, very visible strip on my Burgman. I would definitely advise anyone to go with the dry application method wherever they can.