Back on the graphics grind for the burgman - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Super Poster

Re: speedblocks prototype test

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetGlo Decals
The speedblocks look better than I had imagined. It's funny, somtimes the simple graphics make the best decals and these look like they will do the trick for safety.

Bill
http://www.streetglo.net
Agreed - what I particularly like about the blocks that are on the "lower" fairing panel is that it can be seen from the side *and/or* the front. I can't wait to see what the other Speed Block applications will do for the Burgman.

For those of you that are interested (and might have missed the other thread), here's the URL to some pics in the other thread:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22881

Houston Haynes
"Riding a scooter is like eating steak and having sex at the same time." -- Mikey, "American Chopper"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec
I like the speed blocks. Wayne
Put me down as another vote for the Speedblocks. So does that make enough of us to now get something in production? Keep us (me) informed.

Rick, York, PA
2006 Burgy Type S Blue

Rick - 'AI3W' York, PA
06 AN400S 'Ingrid' -Clearview Shield - Kuryakyn Grips
Magellan 2200T/Crossover GPS 'Maggie' - Utopoia back rest
HID running lights
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Insane Poster

I think the narrow part should be at front and get wider as it goes back, they look backwards on your helmet, but thats just me, looks like teeth on a skull, and do I hate skuls on a bike Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatec
I think the narrow part should be at front and get wider as it goes back, they look backwards on your helmet, but thats just me, looks like teeth on a skull, and do I hate skuls on a bike Wayne
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor: "Then don't to that. That'll be $50."

For some reason I presumed that folks would be looking at and considering the Speed Blocks concept. I never imagined for a second that my request would have garnered criticism of my layout, let alone the rorschach-esque analysis that it looked like a skull.

I only had a few small pieces to work with, and the intent was to "follow the lines" and accent the helmet in such a way that it would add visibility when I did things like turning my head for a look before changing lanes. The blocks as-provided happened to curve in the cut right as it came off the sheet, a bit more than I wanted in some places, and a bit less than desired in others. So when I wanted to make the blocks contour to the cam/pivot of my helmet, I had to use the "wet apply" method to get them to line up along the bottom edge of the surface. I'm sure that if you wanted, you could just as effectively flip over the blocks and apply them "the other way" so that they run small-to-large, but I stayed with the original design flow.

As it turns out, the "wet application" method is problematic in situations where you have a number of closely aligned pieces like the Speed Block design. Things move very freely with the soap infused water coating everything, which is great if it's all one large strip and you're trying to get it to contour to an odd shape. But in this case I had the issue of blocks moving when I was trying to position another next to it, as well as just getting blocks to sit in place after I lift my (wet) finger off of them. That's why the "front" blocks on the helmet are simply applied with their out-of-the-box spread - I was mentally exhausted getting the first set applied to the cam area, so I dry-applied the strips on the front and rear center and was done with it (and quite happy, I might add).

For what it's worth, I suggested that they add a few of the smaller speed blocks with no out-of-the-box curve to the cut, which I think would make things a bit more versatile when applying to helmets and other odd places on the bike.

I'm glad I discovered the perils of wet application for this design on my helmet instead of a very large, very visible strip on my Burgman. I would definitely advise anyone to go with the dry application method wherever they can.

Houston Haynes
"Riding a scooter is like eating steak and having sex at the same time." -- Mikey, "American Chopper"
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Insane Poster

Your doing a good job Huoston, do let me bother you, you got the speed blocks up to speed. I will be getting some when they are ready. I just like things going from small in front to big, gess thats why I like trikes and dooley trucks and fishing boats with a big stern, maby Im nuts Thanks again for the job your doing.
Wayne

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:52 AM
Insane Poster

To each, their own.... The beauty of creating the blocks large tapering to small is that you can choose whether you want the big side in the front or the rear. I would personally mount the large side in the front and taper to small in the rear like you've done because it creates a larger area of visibility in the front (safety), and (for me) creates an illusion of speediness. If anything, I'd parralellogram the blocks a bit, but that's just me... straight up looks fantastic, too.

Still The Burger Queen
Former: AN650K4, Black Duc-Burger
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Turbo Poster

Garage
Bill (StreetGlo Decals)!

Just wanted to say "THANKS"! I've been using your products for about a year now, and this is my "Latest Project", on my new Burgy 400 that I bought last month. I used your Yellow Speed Stripes kit, combined with your 1/8" & 1/10" Pinstripes. Lastly, I used the Super White Speed Stripes for my Nolan N102 Helmet. They go on Black, but reflect a Bright White, and are highly visible during the day and night!

I'll post the URL's, since the pics are 800x600, so you can see the detail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 1501-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... krestG.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... krestE.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... krestA.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 1497-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/ ... 1499-2.jpg

The Pinstripes were fairly easy, and the Speed Stripes go on quite easily, using the "Wet Application".

Again, THANKS!

Cheers!

BB

“The Floggings will continue until Morale improves!”

2005 Honda Big Ruckus 250
Looking at & Test-Ride a Burgman 200 on 9/29/15
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Re:

Houston, when you contact us for your final set, request that we put PAPER MEMBRANES on the set for you. Let me know if these hold the blocks better. You are right, the water release membrane is probably too quick for the small blocks. The paper doesn't have release feature, it just gives up once the decals are stuck. Put a note on your order, ok?

I did add a few more smaller fills on the final release.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Re: Back on the graphics grind for the burgman

Blackbeard,

Thanks for your letter. I really like what you did with the design.

I never imagined the speedstripe being used that way but it's perfect.

Be safe!

BIll
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Poster

Re: Back on the graphics grind for the burgman

FYI - the Speed Blocks kit is good to go. I just ordered my final set in Super Black (costs extra but worth every penny).

http://www.streetglo.net/streetglo_file ... ticker.htm

For those of you that might have missed it - here's the layout of the last set of samples that I got - really love the "swoop" to them...

http://www.burgmanusa.com/gallery/HHayn ... ks_yellow/

Houston Haynes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.