Red Green Cup Holder - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByLagarto View Post
What about removing the cover to which that holder is taped, and using nuts/bolts to attach the holder directly to the panel? Then no tape nor doily would be needed...

And while you have the panel off, you can run a SAE (battery tender) cable from your battery to the dash, giving you 12 volt power for accessories like a socket and/or mobile phone charger cable
I don't mess with success. After apprenticing in my younger days with the local hydro electric company and deciding to abandon that before I electrocuted myself accidentally, I avoid working with electrical stuff other than to change the odd fuse. O f course if I was parked in your workshop, I am sure you could guide me successfully through the project.

HOWEVER, I am close to retirement (I think - I hate the thought of dropping 2/3s of my income) and I will get more adventurous with working on the bike. One fab thing about the Burgman is that the Tupperware covers all that s**t and "out of sight, out of mind". I can tell that most of the Burgmanusa posters have a lot of grease monkey DNA but I got short-changed in that department.
ByLagarto likes this.

Let me ride 'til I croak.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:40 PM

well then, perhaps wait until there's a major reason to pop the tupp - THEN do that mod hehehe
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Cup Holder Up-grade

So okay. My cup-holder was your basic down-home and crappy-looking (but fine functioning) accessory. A sort of - I need it right now in the next 15 minutes kind of cup holder. What have I got around here to put one together? That kind of cup holder.

So now I have had time to do an up-grade.

Okay. Materials required: a cup collar - one of those things that allows you to hold a paper cup full of "hot" coffee without burning your hand - $cost = free (for the asking or came with your last coffee); duct tape (several colour choices available and the cost pro-rated based on the amount used) - in this instance $cost = $.63. (I.E. - Sixty-three cents.)

Tools required: my teeth for tearing the tape in the first version but a pair of scissors (second version) is recommended.

Installation time: 15 - 30 minutes. (Allow more time if you want to get really fancy/schmancy - this is where Grandma's doily could really shine; if you do not have a grandma who does doilies, maybe you could borrow one - there must still be a lot of crocheting grandmothers around; you might try www.crochetinggrandmothers.com.)

Functionality: On a scale of ten, with 1 being - like the guy's chrome Harley Brand holder that shook coffee all over his paint job and sparkly stuff, and which he now uses to hold his sunglasses when he parks (though, really, you can hardly blame the cup holder); and 10 being - doesn't bounce your drink/bottle/cup out of the holder onto the highway or slop all the contents around and is easily accessible both while stopped at lights and while cruising out = 9 (nothing is perfect).

Looks and style: Depends on how creative you are with scissors and tape: Version 1 = -1; version 2 = 5.

Cost/Benefit: Scale of 10 = 10.

Photos of versions 1 and 2 below. Voila!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (154.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1465.jpg (153.7 KB, 15 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 10:57 AM

A fine installation. Looks like it would require most of my mechanical ability to accomplish something similar, but a worthy project none-the-less.

One question though. How many times have you kicked your coffee over while mounting or dismounting?
captainfish likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimac View Post
My burgman came with a Motorcycle Larry(or someone) brake reservoir with two tappings for a ram mount ball to bolt to. It works alright with the Ram swingy cup holder, but I prefer the fold up plastic cup holders I added on my other scooters. A lot of boaters use them, they're cheap, and when not being used -fold up and out of the way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Adjustable-Folding-Drink-Cup-Holder-For-Boat-Marine-Caravan-Car-4x4-RV-Cup-/262450344988?hash=item3d1b42741c:g:RYgAAOSw7ehXQuA W&vxp=mtrhttp:
I like it. Where did you mount it? Use double-sided tape?

Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1977 Cimatti City Bike
2003 Tomos A35 (65cc)
1999 Tomos LX Classic (65cc)
2006 TGB Laser R5
2010 SYM Symba ("Yogi")
2009 Genuine Buddy 125 ("Boo Boo")
2009 Genuine Buddy 150 Blackjack ("Jill")
2003 Honda Reflex
2013 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS ("Ingrid")
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Poster

Not saying it has not happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
A fine installation. Looks like it would require most of my mechanical ability to accomplish something similar, but a worthy project none-the-less.

One question though. How many times have you kicked your coffee over while mounting or dismounting?
Yes the potential for this kind of tragedy is ever present. In acknowledgement of this, I mount from the right side of the bike using a left leg round house kick learned in my college days taking tae-won-do. (I think my neighbors are impressed seeing this old guy flinging his leg over; and than later pushing - what is obviously a heavy machine - up the grade into the garage - as opposed to riding it in. Call it my exercise. The round house mount is definitely less demanding than trying to do a regular motorcycle mount over upholstery that goes up hill.

El Jefe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.