Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

burg 650 ...no start....

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  KEN1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All....Had a problem on trying to start my 2006 burg the other day...on the centre stand, left break lever pulled .right lever pulled same thing....engine spun over but did not start.....pushed off the centre stand, side kick up tried to start same thing engine spins over but no start...turn the key off on several times..same thing also emergency button on / off ..same thing.....but when I gave the throttle a little twist it fired up....any ideas as to what's happened ..bike has 12K miles on it was running well prior to this....lots of fuel...Thanks KEN.

#2 ·
Ken, this has happened to most of our Burgman's. Some have guessed that air gets trapped in the fuel rail. But we have always told members to try crankng while twisting the throttle and it works most times.

#7 ·
As noted in other forums my K6 really didn't like some winter blend gases, I had to do that a few times with it, & the idle would hunt a bit on some of them.

Far as what Dave notes. I've run into this a few times on my K7, once notably bad, fortunately at home. Had to get out the jump box to get it to crank through.
Definitely fuel related at first, normally catches on first or second turn, but I twitched while hitting the button.

I haven't seen it since I ran through a round of maintenance with fresh plugs & pretty much everything else.

Reactions: Dave_J
#3 ·
Yeah - think it happened to me twice over two 650s and 100,000 km ...no clear explanation

Eventually it starts with cranking the throttle open ....stumbles a bit and then carries on being reliable.

#4 ·
Burg no start....

Hello and thanks for the info!! This is the 2nd 650 Burg I've got, my K3 starts and runs instantly 60K klms. The new one with 13K klms has this phantom problem go figure!...Its a relief to know its not an isolated problem.....I'll just continue with the service job I'm doing....as usual when I 1st get a new toy I take them apart for a look see and fluid change and inspection... but this one I bought last Oct..and just never got around to doing it....Thanks again for the quick reply's.....KEN.

#5 ·
Hello All...well NEW problem...While sitting this winter on a smart charger... I would turn the key to on just to run up the electric fuel pump then shut it off...well now when I turn the key to on nothing lights upon the dash can't start...but the clock still works the under seat light comes on the main fuse is fine & the CVT fuse is fine changed both. Tested battery ...fine...So also checked the fuses at the air filter...fine.
Any ideas?...any other fuses that I might have missed? The puzzle begins...KEN.

#8 ·
For the dead instrument cluster first check the signal fuse in front fuse box. That fuse powers the dash, blinkers, fuel pump and a number of other things.

If it is good then pull the battery box out and check the connectors on the wires that go from the battery cables to the wiring harness. Pull them apart and look for corrosion or signs of over heating.

Reactions: Dave_J
#9 · (Edited)
Update......I decided to have another look at the Burg tonight...I disconnected the negative terminal waited for about 5 mins then reconnected still no dash lights, then I put the under seat light on....very dim...BINGO... Battery weak, so I pulled it out and did a load test yep it's toast!
it just goes to show that even if you put. a smart charger on all the time your not guaranteed to have good battery health! I jumped with another good battery and everything came alive!!!
Battery was installed Oct 2015...one of the shortest battery life I've had...even my Harley's have had batteries last longer....KEN.

#12 · (Edited)
it just goes to show that even if you put. a smart charger on all the time your not guaranteed to have good battery health! I jumped with another good battery and everything came alive!!!
Battery was installed Oct 2015...one of the shortest battery life I've had...even my Harley's have had batteries last longer....KEN.
Interesting, I am on year 5 of my 2nd battery, the OEM lasted 9 years. My opinion is you should not need a battery tender plugged all the time in to keep this alive. My dad went through batteries every year on his lawn tractor and other equipment and always had it plugged into a trickle charger. I believe the charger cooked them. Except for winter storage of 3 months I don't use them, but when I do, it's for 1-10 minutes once a month with the battery in the basement. If you need one always plugged in to make things work, one of 2 things is going on.

1- Something is drawing power when the bike is off.

2- The battery was junk from day one.

The battery should hold a charge for 4 + weeks without the need for a charger. Just because you need to jump start it once, doesn't mean the battery is junk.

#11 ·
What brand battery is it? Charging only gets the volts up does not give indication of "strength" of battery. When trouble shooting battery condition the best thing to do is attach a volt meter to the battery and then try and start. When the meter is hooked up with no load it should be in the neighborhood of 12.5 volts. When you engage the starter and volts drop down around 8v then you can figure the battery is weak.

#13 ·
Battery chargers...

Hello All...I'm suspect of the battery charger over charging.and cooking the battery . But I really can't say how old the battery was. As I never got a recite from the fellow I bought it from . The battery is not a brand that I would normally buy, some shop installed it for him....but that being said I'm still sceptical of the charger...as its a cheapy that I bought on the net...My others are Battery tenders....the only way to really be sure is to load test ...the dim light is a good indication though....KEN.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.