Oil change with Pics(Long) for AN650 - Page 3 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Super Poster

Great info!

Wow! Having this illustrated, step-by-step guide is great! Thanks for all that work for our benefit.

Now, I know exactly how to change the oil(s) in my new Burg:
1) drive to dealer
2) leave scoot with instructions
3) come back the next day
4) pay outrageous service bill
5) ride home smiling

Seriously, after the break-in period (of which I will go with the alternate method of "ride it like you stole it"), how about synthetics? I've been using plastic oil in all my high-performance vehicles for years. I still change every 3,000 miles.

Recommendations? Warnings?

Al

'04 AN650 Black
My other bike is a Specialized Enduro Pro

*** Ride like you are invisible! ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Insane Poster

Re: refill amounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquino
I have done 1 oil change and 1 service so far in 1000 klms and both times it has taken just OVER 3 liters to get it to the fill mark.
3 LITRES? That's 3000ml -- over 10 times what Suzuki recommends in the Owner's Manual.

Where is it all going?

—Brian— Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Silver AN650K3 since June 9, 2004.

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
post #23 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:27 PM

Back to school

1 liter = 1000 ml
2.9 lt = 2900 ml =3.1 US qt = 2.6 Imp qt, as per manual

04 Burgman 650
03/04 BMW R1150GS

post #24 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Insane Poster

Re: Back to school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquino
1 liter = 1000 ml
2.9 lt = 2900 ml =3.1 US qt = 2.6 Imp qt, as per manual
Silly me. I'm so embarrassed.

I was thinking of the final drive oil (300ml) not the crankcase oil (~3000ml).
captainfish likes this.

—Brian— Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

Silver AN650K3 since June 9, 2004.

CH250 Elite '85 - '87
CH125 Elite '84 - '85
post #25 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Turbo Poster

Re: Oil change with Pics(Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwalk
3- Remove engine oil filler plug (pic 3.1)

4-Place an oil pan below the engine and remove the engine oil drain plug (pic 3.1)

5- After oil is completely drained , replace drain plug and tourque to
oil drain plug:23N-m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lb-ft)
In (pic 3.1) there is another oil drain plug. It is very similar to the transmission drain plug...faces the ground, actuated with a hex key.

I loosened said plug by mistake while changing my oil yesterday. Could someone please tell me the proper tourque? Thank you.

About changing the fluids:

If you are going to take to lower panel off, there are two slotted tabs, behind the panel, between the front and rear floorboards. They can be felt and released if you reach your hand up behind the panel.

There is also a little tab at the lower leading edge of the exterior of the panel. This can be seen and is simple to disengage.

As for the black two part fasteners, the instant the center button gives a little click, stop pushing it. If you push the center button past the first quiet click, you've gone too far. You'll have to reach around from the back side and push the button back up or the fastener can not be extracted. This could be a problem.

Russell
'04 Red R1100S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 120 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Re: Oil change with Pics(Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwalk
3- Remove engine oil filler plug (pic 3.1)

4-Place an oil pan below the engine and remove the engine oil drain plug (pic 3.1)

5- After oil is completely drained , replace drain plug and tourque to
oil drain plug:23N-m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lb-ft)
In (pic 3.1) there is another oil drain plug. It is very similar to the transmission drain plug...faces the ground, actuated with a hex key.

I loosened said plug by mistake while changing my oil yesterday. Could someone please tell me the proper tourque? Thank you.

About changing the fluids:

If you are going to take to lower panel off, there are two slotted tabs, behind the panel, between the front and rear floorboards. They can be felt and released if you reach your hand up behind the panel.

There is also a little tab at the lower leading edge of the exterior of the panel. This can be seen and is simple to disengage.

As for the black two part fasteners, the instant the center button gives a little click, stop pushing it. If you push the center button past the first quiet click, you've gone too far. You'll have to reach around from the back side and push the button back up or the fastener can not be extracted. This could be a problem.

I'm uncertain at this time what bolt you are refering to. The torque chart in the manual has several options for bolts not listed. I dont want to advise an incorrect measurement. The transmission drain plug is 8.5 lb-ft

Allan - Only bikers know why dogs hang there heads out the window!
AN650K3 Flaming Silver see for yourself in my photo gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 120 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy
My biggest fear is taking my scoot apart for the first time (Bodywork) to access everything. Then, My next biggest fear is the
---- Transmission drain plug (viewable in prior photo)? I see a LOT of possible "Drain plugs". Being NON mechanical, anyone have a picture with an arrow to it or something?

---- The following torque spec scares me for some reason:" Drain Plug: 33N-m (3.3 kgf-m, 24.0 lb-ft)
Oil level plug is the same torque specs". Is 24 Ft. Pounds Correct? I busted a whold LOT of stuff off my last ride with the famous Suzuki "Soft Bolt syndrome". Also, my torque wrence is a 1/2" drive. I suppose I should buy another, smaller drive size torque wrench? Which size?

----I have a ton of Amsoil 10-40 Motorcycle oil I want to use in BOTH my motor AND Trans. Used in my 1500LC. LOVE the stuff and supposedly "clutch friendly" and WAS on my BIG Cruisers. ANY advise against it? I will use Suzuki's own "stuff" in my rear diff I suppose along with Suzuki's own oil filter.

Thanks for any pointers as I close on my 600 mile service. The wife and I are doing it as I am fairly disabled from surgery so she will do as I ask (GOD help us all)!

Thanks for any suggestions, Mike

Fight Cancer:

Former Burgman 650 Owner!
Honda Silverwing ABS
2006 Vespa GT200 Pearl White
Homepage:
post #28 of 120 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
My biggest fear is taking my scoot apart for the first time (Bodywork) to access everything. Then, My next biggest fear is the
---- Transmission drain plug (viewable in prior photo)? I see a LOT of possible "Drain plugs". Being NON mechanical, anyone have a picture with an arrow to it or something?

---- The following torque spec scares me for some reason:" Drain Plug: 33N-m (3.3 kgf-m, 24.0 lb-ft)
Oil level plug is the same torque specs". Is 24 Ft. Pounds Correct? I busted a whold LOT of stuff off my last ride with the famous Suzuki "Soft Bolt syndrome". Also, my torque wrence is a 1/2" drive. I suppose I should buy another, smaller drive size torque wrench? Which size?

----I have a ton of Amsoil 10-40 Motorcycle oil I want to use in BOTH my motor AND Trans. Used in my 1500LC. LOVE the stuff and supposedly "clutch friendly" and WAS on my BIG Cruisers. ANY advise against it? I will use Suzuki's own "stuff" in my rear diff I suppose along with Suzuki's own oil filter.

Thanks for any pointers as I close on my 600 mile service. The wife and I are doing it as I am fairly disabled from surgery so she will do as I ask (GOD help us all)!

Thanks for any suggestions, Mike
Pappy the 24 ft lbs torque refers to the final drive gear drain and fill plugs on the swingarm. see pic http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk/finalgear2 arrows already supplied Look through the other pics in my gallery in reference to the engine and tranny plug locations.

All torque refrences came from the official Suzuki Burgman Shop Manual. This is the same manual your mechanic should have.

Allan - Only bikers know why dogs hang there heads out the window!
AN650K3 Flaming Silver see for yourself in my photo gallery

post #29 of 120 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Turbo Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Pappy
Thanks,

I can't believe I MISSED your picture I was looking for. I checked a dozen times and flat MISSED it! Really scares me to think how bad I'll botch the actual service...Now, if I can just figure out if my Amsoil will hurt my tranny? I KNOW it will be good for my motor, but this tranny scares me. I THINK I'll probably use Amsoil 10-40 Motorcycle oil in motor, with regular old Dino Valvoline 10-40 in the tranny and just hang onto all my receipts in case of any warranty issues later. Along with Suzuki's own oil filter and diff gear oil, I THINK I'll be fine.
Hope you have some idea of how much your effort helps and means to folk like me! THANK YOU! Mike

Fight Cancer:

Former Burgman 650 Owner!
Honda Silverwing ABS
2006 Vespa GT200 Pearl White
Homepage:
post #30 of 120 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Super Poster

What a great string. How about some discussion of oils by brands?

I was using Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40 and Shell Rotella-T 15W40 in my AN400K3. Is this oil okay for the 650? Can I use it for the engine and trans?

HowardG
AN400K3 May '04
AN650K5 Mar '05

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.