Oil change with Pics(Long) for AN650 - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Insane Poster

Re: Thanks for the walk-through

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacvinson
Whoda' thought that you had to remove body panels to just do basic work?
jac
Not just an issue with the Burmans. Had to remove a body panel to drain the oil on my 1995 Kawasaki Concours sport touring motorcycle too. This is pretty common with motorcycles and scooters that have bodywork - and most of them do these days.

Paul

'07 Triumph Bonneville T100
'06 Kymco People 250 (Wineberry)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:56 AM

When I changed the final gear oil I measured the oil that came out. It was almost 13 oz. You said to put 10.6 oz in. I was not sure if I should replace the same amount that was drained or only do the 10.6 oz.
I put 12 oz. back am I ok or should I drain some.
post #13 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Super Poster

final gear oil change

The Suzuki Shop Manual states:
Final Gear Oil Change:
Oil change: 300 ml (10.1 /10.6 US/IMP oz)
OverHaul : 430 ml (14.5 / 15.1 US/Imp oz)
Seems pretty clear in the shop manual. Most measuring cups have both oz, and ml measurements, but you may want to account for the little bit that never comes out of the measuring cup,.... and allow a "bit" extra to make up for it, although it *can't * be that much.
have a good one..
jac

post #14 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

If you look at my picture of the final gear oil change you will actually see right above the filler plug 300ml cast right into the casing.

However I think you will be ok with what you put in.

Allan - Only bikers know why dogs hang there heads out the window!
AN650K3 Flaming Silver see for yourself in my photo gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Super Poster

Oil quantity

By Golly Al, duh! Ya think I'da noticed, but nooooooo. <G>
Thanks for the pointer
jac
post #16 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 08:24 PM

Re: final gear oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacvinson
The Suzuki Shop Manual states:
Final Gear Oil Change:
Oil change: 300 ml (10.1 /10.6 US/IMP oz)
OverHaul : 430 ml (14.5 / 15.1 US/Imp oz)
Seems pretty clear in the shop manual. Most measuring cups have both oz, and ml measurements, but you may want to account for the little bit that never comes out of the measuring cup,.... and allow a "bit" extra to make up for it, although it *can't * be that much.
have a good one..
jac
Thanks for the replies....guess next time I won't measure what comes out...... I'm not much of a mechanic and this was the first servicing so I was a little bit over cautious.....I was just thrilled I didn't break anything taking it apart.
post #17 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Turbo Poster

Garage
The final drive oil level is self set by draining out to level of plug hole

Greg ...

Suzuki TS185 road trail (sold) ; Suzuki GT250 custom with 350 barrels (sold) ; Suzuki GS1000e 1980 (sold) ; Honda VT750 cruiser (traded ->)
Honda Hornet 900 (sold) ; Yamaha XS850 triple (sold) ; Yamaha XT500 (sold) ; Burgman 650 2003 (stolen) ; Burgman 250 2003 (traded ->)
Suzuki Bandit 1250 (sold) ; Vespa GTS300 (traded ->) ; Yamaha Tmax 500 (sold) ; Suzuki V-Strom 650 (sold) ; Present Burgman 650 2014
post #18 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 05:17 PM

refill amounts

I have done 1 oil change and 1 service so far in 1000 klms and both times it has taken just OVER 3 liters to get it to the fill mark. I know what the manual says and what is stamped on the engine but what I think makes up for the difference is the personal draining procedure and time. I always change my fluids hot, let it drain for about 1/2 hour and even lean the bike over to be totally anal. As far as the trans and final drive, it may have taken more also but ya just fill to when it runs out. There is the difference between fill and overhaul amounts and I think it just depends on whose doing the job.

04 Burgman 650
03/04 BMW R1150GS
post #19 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 07:27 AM

Allwalk:

I just performed my 600mi service thanks to you. Without the pics, I would have been guessing as to where the various drain and filler plugs were. Thank you.

I came across this site as a result of a google search and I think its great! Frankly, I thought I was the only one who is as excited about the Burgman as I am. This machine represents the next phase of motorcycle technology.
post #20 of 120 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshepp1
Allwalk:

I just performed my 600mi service thanks to you. Without the pics, I would have been guessing as to where the various drain and filler plugs were. Thank you.

I came across this site as a result of a google search and I think its great! Frankly, I thought I was the only one who is as excited about the Burgman as I am. This machine represents the next phase of motorcycle technology.
Your post brought a smile to my face and made my day I just finished doing my 6000 km service along with changing plugs and cleaning the CVT filter. Yes I took more pics and will post them soon........I'm off to bed ( grumbles.......stupid midnight shift.....grumble)

Glad the photos worked out for you.

Allan - Only bikers know why dogs hang there heads out the window!
AN650K3 Flaming Silver see for yourself in my photo gallery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.