Oil change with Pics(Long) for AN650 - Page 11 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #101 (permalink)
Super Poster

Garage
Default Re: Oil change with Pics(Long) for AN650

I don't think this has been mentioned before, but since this is such a great post for those who may not be mechanically inclined, or who may not be confident of their ability to change fluids, I'd like to point out something that is not addressed in the owners manual. The engine oil drain plug, the transmission drain plug, and the final drive drain plug all are what is known as "magnetic chip detectors". They have a small magnet in them that traps ferrous particles in the fluid stream and hold them until oil change. When you change your oils, look at the tip of the drain plugs. If this is your first 600 mile break-in oil change, you WILL want to see an nice black "sludge" on these plugs. This sludge should be of a very uniform consistency, and NOT have any large chips, spirals, or anything where the part number is still readable! A nice black pasty sludge indicates a proper break-in of new parts. Be sure to wipe off this sludge before you re-install the plugs, so you can "read" them again at the next oil change. After the initial break-in, the amount of this sludge should diminish, but as long as it stays a fine even consistency, everything is fine internally. One important thing to remember is that the final drive drain and "fill-to-spill" plug are interchangeable. Only the drain plug is a chip detector. Make sure you put the chip detector in the drain position so it can "catch" any particles for your next inspection.
It's spelled B-u-r-g-m-a-n, but pronounced,
"beyb mag-nit"!!
Jetfixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #102 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Sound advice to heed indeed. Thank you
Ragman's pics
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #103 (permalink)

Over a year since I bought it and the 600 miles was finally up.

Yeah, I haven't been ridin' a lot...

So I called up the dealer for a service appointment. They were busy and said they would call me back. I remembered this thread and printed out the pics with the screw locations and headed out to the garage. I had the covers off and the oil draining before they called me back - Sorry, I got tired of waiting. He wished me luck and I told him that they would be getting some business as I broke one of those stupid plastic rivits

I had bought some oil and a couple of filters a while back when they were on sale, so I had everything I needed. All went well, I added the trans oil though the level check hole with a squeeze bulb.

I had asked before what this service cost and it was $210 plus parts. So after tax and all, this thread saved me $300 I imagine.

Thanks!
Motorman-CA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #104 (permalink)
Administrator

Bike Type: 2010 Burgman 650 - Executive in Silver

Good to hear the forum was such good support to you and you were able to save so much money in one service!

Do not worry about the broken rivet - we have all done it.
AN400 - 2001 (Sold 8/13/05)
Norm's Pics
NormanB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #105 (permalink)

Is this the same procedure for a 2009 650AN. Just picked it up in the DFW area and my first ride was 350 miles home, which I loved! This was more comfortable than my 2000 Yamaha Venture Royal! I was amazed, and so much easier than shifting up and down, which at 67 weight and shifting was becoming a slight issue! Love this 650! Had only 4000 miles on it in pristine condition and got it for $4600 and that included a 2 yr UNLIMITED mileage full platnum warrentee !
stevern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #106 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevern
Is this the same procedure for a 2009 650AN. Just picked it up in the DFW area and my first ride was 350 miles home, which I loved! This was more comfortable than my 2000 Yamaha Venture Royal! I was amazed, and so much easier than shifting up and down, which at 67 weight and shifting was becoming a slight issue! Love this 650! Had only 4000 miles on it in pristine condition and got it for $4600 and that included a 2 yr UNLIMITED mileage full platnum warrentee !
Yes it is the same. I have K9 AN650 and follow the same instructions. You might also want to check out LeDude's oil change info in the Knowledge Base at the top of the home page.
Scootermikie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: 2007 Burgman 650
Default Thanks for instructions and photos

Thanks, Allwalk, for the great instructions. I just bought a 2007 Burgman 650 with only 2,400 miles and the Honda dealer did not change any of the fluids. ("It only has 2K miles, the oil doesn't need changed.") No mention that Obama was just moving into the White House the last time it was probably changed. So today I removed the tupperware (broke 2 of the plastic push-pins, so I have got to learn the secret handshake on how to remove them). Once the panel was off, everything was just like you showed in the photos. Your descriptions and instructions were right on the money too. Changed engine oil/filter and trans oil (both with Rotella T6 synthetic JASO-MA), and the final drive (75-90W semi synthetic). All back together with no leftover pieces. Total cost, including a fancy funnel with loooonnnng skinny tube for the tranny, was about $40. Ready to hit the road now.
My Website: www.RidingWV.com

Last edited by BurgPnoMan; 07-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.
BurgPnoMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #108 (permalink)

Default First Service

Just did the 1000km inspection with all the oil changes. Found some videos on youTube quite helpful. Anyway, got it done, took a little longer than I thought. The 60cc syringe worked well for the transmission oil filling.
Now I think the bike runs better, just imagining of course, but runs great nevertheless.
Dietrich
Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #109 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: Burgman 650 Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Allwalk, I found it's not necessary to remove the left lower cover to change the transmissiton oil. I fill my trans. with an oil can in the over flow hole until it runs out, I wait a while (about 30 sec.) then give it a few more shots with the oil can to be sure . This really speeds up the time.
I've changed the engine oil, tranny oil, and final drive oil several times in my 650, and I have never removed any tupperware. Waste of time and effort. Get the squirt can at Walmart and you're all set.
2011 Burgman 650 Exec. with Clearview Windshield, Corbin Seat & Backrest, ISO Grips, fenda extender, gps mount, cup holder, suzuki luggage rack, Kappa k21 Side cases with Kiwi Daves bracket, USB power outlet on handlebar cover, voltage meter, Auto Zone driving lights, brake light flasher.
thomphoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #110 (permalink)

Garage
Default 23000 mile oik change

How many different oils are there to change, and what are they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.