Broken 650 seat cable "cannot get open" fix - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Broken 650 seat cable "cannot get open" fix

I have just had this problem and now I will submit the fix I came across. I read about one guy struggling even with a crow bar to get the seat up. After studying the latch design via picture online, I realized that if I could get close, I could pop the lever, which is just what I did. The lower Tupperware over the license plate is held on my 4 plastic pins. Then the upper Tupperware is held on by two plastic pins in the rear by the tail lights and two on top just under the seat edge. they can be pried up and out. With that the upper Tupperware can be lifted enough out of the way to see the latch. On the back side is a slot in the frame to the back of the latch. If you shine a light in there, you can see the bottom of the latch and the lever. A screw driver can easily go in and slide the latch to the right and "pop" goes the latch and the seat is up. Did it quite quickly actually. My problem is I had gotten water in the cable and it rusted in two. I took the left over cable and looped it and crimped on a cable swedge to create a loop for emergency purposes until I get a cable replacement and have the time to actually install it.

I will try and upload pictures later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Super Poster

Quote:
The lower Tupperware over the license plate is held on my 4 plastic pins. Then the upper Tupperware is held on by two plastic pins in the rear by the tail lights and two on top just under the seat edge. they can be pried up and out. With that the upper Tupperware can be lifted enough out of the way to see the latch. On the back side is a slot in the frame to the back of the latch.
Is it that easy if you have a Givi top box?
Do you have to remove the mounting plate?

2006 Burgman 650
Garmin NUVI GPS
Cruise Control
taller Givi Windshield
Givi E33 Top Box
Driver's Backrest from Jac Vinson
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:29 PM
Super Poster

There are a half dozen threads that address the "broken latch" problem.

Dealing with a broken seat latch cable.

Here is one recommendation on how to open the seat latch if the cable is broken.

Remove the access cover then find where the cable routes along the frame on the right side.
Grap it with a pair of pliers and pull forward on it.
source: Seat Lock Release

Photos were promised and probably are available on another thread.

There are two cables on the right side. One of them is the seat latch cable..

I don't think anyone has fully addressed how to lubricate the seat latch cable.

WD-40 should do the job (displace the moisture) if there was a way to lubricate the middle of the cable.

2006 Burgman 650
Garmin NUVI GPS
Cruise Control
taller Givi Windshield
Givi E33 Top Box
Driver's Backrest from Jac Vinson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.