AN650K9 Back-Off Wig Wag Brake Modulator Installation - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to TechArtGuy Send a message via AIM to TechArtGuy Send a message via MSN to TechArtGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TechArtGuy
Default AN650K9 Back-Off Wig Wag Brake Modulator Installation

Here's how to install a Back-Off wig wag brake light modulator. You'll have to excuse the extra connectors not pointed out in the photos as my personal installation has more going on behind the scenes. But, use the following diagram and steps for installing it just for the factory brake lights.

Needed:
- wire strippers
- wire cutters
- crimpers
- small flathead screwdriver
- 16-18 butt connectors x 4
- 16-18 wire taps
- 18" length of red(or white w/black stripe)16 or 18 guage wire
- exacto knife
- #33 electrical tape

Ok, first of course you'll need to remove the bottom rear body panel to get access to the taillight wiring. There's two plastic snap rivets that hold it in place on the bottom of either side. Remove those then slightly push in on the sides of the panel closest to the rear side panels and pull down and out. If it doesn't budge, try pushing forward a bit while pulling down and inward on the sides. The trick is not to force it as the 90 degree hooks that fit into the slots on the side panels are fragile and prone to breaking. So take your time removing it.

The following diagram is a rudimentary drawing of how it hooks up to the factory wiring for mode 2 (wig wag flash, combined flash, then steady on). If you want mode 1 which is a repeat of the wig wag and combined flashing continuously until you let off the brake handle, then use the solid red wire in place of the orange wire in the diagram.

[attachment=4:1egeabgp]diagram.jpg[/attachment:1egeabgp]

It's easy to hook up if mounting the module on the right of the bike as that places the wires coming out of it towards the rear. Once you have removed the cover, use the exacto knife to cut the plastic tubing bundling the wires for each brake light socket to expose more of the wiring. Then, cut the white wire with black stripe on each of the sockets about 3" away. Tape off the end of the wire coming out of the harness for the left brake light socket as it won't be used.

[attachment=3:1egeabgp]DSCF4009.JPG[/attachment:1egeabgp]

Strip the white wire with black stripe coming out of the harness for the right brake light and connect it to the orange (Mode 2) or red (mode 1) wire on the module, depending on which mode you want, using one of the butt connectors.

[attachment=2:1egeabgp]DSCF4011.JPG[/attachment:1egeabgp]

Then, using the wire tap, connect the black wire from the module to the black wire with white stripe on the right taillight socket.

[attachment=1:1egeabgp]DSCF4012.JPG[/attachment:1egeabgp]

Now, strip one end of the 18" length of wire and connect it to the white wire with red stripe from the module using a butt connector. Run the wire behind the center metal bracket over to the left brake light socket. Strip the white wire with black stripe on the socket and connect one side of butt connector. Then, see how long you really need it then cut, strip and connect it to the other side of the butt connector.

[attachment=0:1egeabgp]DSCF4015.JPG[/attachment:1egeabgp]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (48.7 KB, 1457 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4009.JPG (44.0 KB, 1458 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4011.JPG (43.6 KB, 1454 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4012.JPG (62.8 KB, 1454 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4015.JPG (49.7 KB, 1453 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to TechArtGuy Send a message via AIM to TechArtGuy Send a message via MSN to TechArtGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TechArtGuy
Default Re: AN650K9 Back-Off Wig Wag Brake Modulator Installation

Then, strip the white wire with black stripe on the right taillight socket and connect the red wire with white stripe from the module using a posi-lock connector

[attachment=0:kgth9gzy]DSCF4014.JPG[/attachment:kgth9gzy]

Now you can test it out to see if you like the mode it's in. If not just switch the mode wires and tape off the end of the unused one, all done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4014.JPG (51.4 KB, 1451 views)
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage

Nice Job Sean, Great Connections..

Elliott,

Polini Variator|Polini Clutch |Polini ClutchBell|Yoshimura exhaust |K&N Oil - Custom.K&N Air|NologyHotWires |PowerCommander 3
GIVI AF266|AC 400W|JVC CD Radio|3BBR|Stebel TM80|10WLuxeon Rebel Leds||Sean Polacik Speedo|HID|INNOVA VM|MotoBatt 20W/Michelin P Pure SC
Elliott Larron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

Bike Type: 2009 650 Executive

I just installed a Kahtec Flashing Brake Light, (blinking smart stop plus) rather than the Back-off Wig Wag. I used the same basic wiring used in your drawing and photos, although the same wiring diagram comes with the unit. It works great, thanks for the photos. I used the quick connects that came with my
unit, didn't have to strip any wires.The hardest thing to do is cutting that first wire

White wire with black stripe is positive +
Black wire with white stripe is negative -

Black 2008 Burgman 650 Exec.
White 2009 Burgman 650 Exec.
Grip Puppies
Twin Fiamm blaster horns
Isuzu backrest
Gel seat pad
Garmin 750 GPS
LED turn signals on mirrors
Kahtec Brake Light Modulator
Nelson Riggs Touring Saddlebags
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Ohio, City is home of the Pumpkin Show ( Circleville ), USA
Send a message via AIM to rtAnimal

If you use the posi-lock connectors and experience a problem with the wig-wag unit not working properly. Trash the posi-lock connectors and use crimp on connectors or solder the connections for the best results! I found that the posi-lock connectors don't make a good enough connection and the brake lights would be continuous wig-wag/quad flash then repeat mode. They would never cycle to the constant on mode. I went with soldering the connections and the problem about the continuous looping of the flash modes was fixed.

Happy Sc°°ter´ng!
rt┼n´mal
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

rt,
Been using the posi-lock connectors on my 650 in Florida now for 2 years now with no problems. If I ever have a problem I would switch to the crimps. Thanks.

Grip Puppies
Twin Fiamm blaster horns
Isuzu backrest
Gel seat pad
Garmin 750 GPS
Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Location: Ohio, City is home of the Pumpkin Show ( Circleville ), USA
Send a message via AIM to rtAnimal

Bearcat

In other positions they should be ok. The WigWag module is very sensitive to electrical fluctuations. The posi-locks don't create a tight enough connection and that causes problems with it functioning properly. I had the same problem with emergency beacons I would use on my semitruck when I carried oversized loads. You had to turn them on and off until you got to the flash pattern you wanted to use. With these two Star Model 911 lights that cost over $200.00 each and came with a 5 year warranty, I thought I had purchased an expensive " pig in a poke ". They was always changing flash patterns while I was using them while driving down the road. In a parking lot with the engine off they didn't have a problem. Start the engine up on my Freightliner semi and they would change patterns but not very often. Start down the road and the patterns would be changing constantly. Even using two pairs of pliers to tighten the posi-locks up didn't fix the problem. Soldering the connections fixed the problem. On other items, like a clearance light mounted on the outside points of an oversized load for night time running I didn't have a problem with the posi-locks. These lights was constant on and didn't require a flashing unit. On my two rear mountable emergency beacons that only had one set flash pattern the posi-locks worked ok. For the Back-Off Wig-Wag unit the posi-locks are an unwise choice!

Happy Sc°°ter´ng!
rt┼n´mal
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Turbo Poster

rt,
I'm just sayin, they work for me. But then again, I don't have the WigWag, I have a Kahtech, If they stop workin I'll change them out.

Grip Puppies
Twin Fiamm blaster horns
Isuzu backrest
Gel seat pad
Garmin 750 GPS
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good info thanks, helped me put mine in today. The 400 is a little differnent in taking off the back pannel. There are no snap rivets. The 2 on the bottom inside look like they need to be removed but they don't. Don't waste your time with them like I did.
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.