07+ 400 Passenger Backrest Install - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Send a message via AIM to tsc3047 Send a message via MSN to tsc3047 Send a message via Yahoo to tsc3047
07+ 400 Passenger Backrest Install

I finally got my passenger backrest for my 08' 400. Now my wife will be happier she claims she can't believe the difference on the first trip. The one problem is when installing I noticed while it may seem simple the instructions don't say much of how to do it or show pictures. So here is what I did and some pictures. Hopefully it will help someone.

You will need...

6mm Hex Wrench
Philips screw driver (or the one in your toolkit)
About 20 to 30 minutes of your time

You may want to lay all of the parts out first. But this is what you should have for parts.

Ok here we go...

1. Pop the trunk and kill the switch on the trunk light, just in case you walk away you don't want a dead battery.

2. Remove the two screws that hold the rear cover on (shown in red). The screw driver in the toolkit works fine.

3. Lift up on the rear cover and it will pop out of the rubber inserts that hold it in place. This will reveal the four threaded hols in the top of the frame where you will now mount the backrest frame. (shown in red)

4. Place the metal backrest frame into place and tighten the four 6mm hex wrench bolts into the frame to 21 ft lbs of torque (shown in red).

5. Next install the new rear lower rear cover (the painted to match piece). It snaps down into place into rubber grommets and clicks in near wear the grab rail meets it at the edge similar to the old one. The rubber grommets installed on the bike should be fine and still in place from the old cover. If they are not then you can install the new ones provided. I did not.

6. Now you install the front cover. This is the piece that has the cut outs for the trunk latch. Put this into place and be sure to line up where the two holes are from the old cover, and also line up the four holes where the four new clips will lock it into place (shown in red). Insert the two screws and four clips and insure they are all fastened. The screw should be nice and snug it does not need more than a good hand tighten.

7. Next you will install the upper rear cover. You will first need to install the four metal threaded clips to this piece by sliding them into each of the four molded sections on the back (shown in red).

8. Now continue to install the upper rear cover by lining up the four screw holes in the frame to the back of the upper rear cover where you just installed the clips and insert the four included philips screws (shown in red). Again the screwdriver in the toolkit works great, and a good firm hand tighten should be fine.

9. Next Install two rubber grommets provided into the metal backrest frame. They fit in the two holes located near the bottom of the metal frame (shown in red).

10. Now you are ready to install the seat cushion. Look at the back of the cushion you will see two pegs and one large insert on the top.

11. Now the large insert on the top of the seat cushion slides over and down on top of the protruding metal tab near the top of the metal frame. The two white pegs will then push back and click into the two rubber grommets you just installed in the lower metal frame. You may need to look into the sides of the cushion to ensure you are in line with the lower pegs. Once you are done you should have a very tight fit.

You should now have something like this...
Front

Rear

You may want to use the box and the protective foam your kit came in to store your old rear cover to protect it from scratches.
whimsymaker likes this.

-Ian

2008 Burgman 400 Black: Suzuki Sport Windshield, Suzuki Passenger Backrest, DynoJet Power Commander III, DPS Weights 16g, NGK Iridium Plug, K&N Air Filter, Custom memory foam seat, Mobil 1 Oil and K&N Oil Filter.

Today's Advice: Beware of the Hit Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Super Poster

Re: 07+ 400 Passenger Backrest Install

Very nice pics and Instructions! I had to use yours this evening.

K8 Burgman AN400
Poquoson, Va USA

LED Hand Guard Turn Signals
Mirror Running Lights
Wally World Driving Lights
Rear Alert
Driver Backrest mod
Suzuki Topcase

GIVI E21 Side Cases
Admore Lighting
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:48 PM

Hey!!
That is just great!! Thanks for the very clear info.

blackstove

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions , just followed them today ,things went like clockwork took about 20 minutes start to finish ,and you are correct ,the info that comes with the back rest is lacking !! They say a picture is worth a thousand words , you just proved that ,Thanks again Gordon . Now to see if my wife likes it as much as I think she will !!!!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks, your post was well written and saved me a whole lot of time tonight. Had to remove the passenger seat on the Burgman 400 I recently purchased to install a Givi carrier and backrest. Your instructions won the prize. Thanks
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:37 AM

Excellent tip!
Nice picture and illustrations.
I ordered one through e-Bay after reading your post.
And I can install it on my Burg 400.
Thanks
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM

I want to order a Suzuki Psgr. backrest and install it myself. Is it just me? but I don't see the pictures & Pics related to this article...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

They are showing up for me.

JohnK
AN650A K6 (lifetime avg. 55 mpg)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 PM

Would anyone know why they are not showing up for me?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM

I have figured it out and can now see the images...

They are great Thanks!

RTG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.