Isuzu Rodeo headrest to backrest mod - with pics - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Super Poster

Garage
Re: Isuzu Rodeo headrest to backrest mod - with pics

I got my Isuzu backrest mod today, purchased from another BurgmanUSA member who just got a new Russell Day Long seat (kuhnsmith you lucky devil!).

My first impression - I love it! I'm only 5' 9", so I didn't think I needed the additional legroom it provides. After the first 50 miles or so I realized it not only gave me the back support I wanted but also a more comfortable riding position altogether.

Gary

Gary and Cathy Allinson
Malvern, Arkansas

2006 Burgman 400 Type S - Tow-Pac Instatrike, Mutazu Cases, Grip Puppies, Brakeaway Cruise, Alaska Leather Sheepskin, Givi Windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Poster

Has anyone found a good paint so that it more closely matches the Burgman stock seats?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Poster

Just finished painting Bearcat's backrest with Duplicolor vynal and fabtic paint. The flat black matches the seat very well. Three light coats was enough

Ian

07/650 standard Phantom Grey named Jumbo after the Elephant
Wind deflectors, back rest own design on butt rest, headlight and taillight modulators
mueller brackets and Givi e21 paniers

06/400S Black named Ebony
Bearcat back rest

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Ken
Insane Poster

I figured I didn't have much to loose in making one of these. I went to a local salvage yard in Conroe and they had 10 or more left in the old Rodeos. They were all the gray color and extremely filthy due to being left in the vehicles without doors and broken windows. I bought one and had to pay $15. They shouldn't cost that much but they knew I wanted one and they had one. I brought it home and cleaned it with soap and water and it looked like new. Bending the bars and getting the perfect angle for me was the hardest part. I used 1/2" CPVC as a bushing along with 1/2" shrink tubing over the bars. Ended up with a very good snug fit. I then went to Auto Zone and purchased flat black vinyl color made by Rust-oleum . Two coats was enough and the black is a fairly good match to the stock seat. It will be a few days before I can road test but I am betting I will like the mod.

Thanks to everyone that has posted the "how to" on doing this mod. It has made what I think is a nice looking back rest that should give good support as well as an extra inch or two leg room. The nice part is that it didn't cost a lot and I can put the butt stop back on if desired.

Ken

Blue 2003 Burgman 650
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Just wanted to thank who ever came up with this backrest in the first place. I got lucky and the first junk yard I went to had the headrest, and it was in like new condition, I couldn't beleive how nice it was. I also had a bit of a problem with the bending, but the end result is well worth it. I did buy 2 just in case, so I think I'll be making another because I used the wrong black not flat black and my bends don't quite match.

Enjoy the MILES & the SMILES! DAVE

2007 SUZUKI Burgman 650 - White
Mileage as of Nov 30, 2010 = 20353

1998 Honda Helix -Red
Mileage as of Nov. 30, 2010 = 4881
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Great Idea,

I am going to try and make one of these back rest for my 650. I am only 5'9" tall but I think the exta leg room will help. New to Burg riding.

Thanks

Thomas C Carpenter
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 PM

I recently bought a pair of headrests cheap on ebay. First one was a play back and i cracked it at the cut. I own a welder so decided to try it myself. It seems to have been welded sucessfully but I will use it a while and make sure it holds before I reccommend the repair. Am going to play like it is all good and use it after painting. By the way I have an old railroad with an eye bolt through it and a piece of steel pipe and that is much easier to bend but the exact bend needs to be checked often. Good luck to all that try it and it did feel good.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Turbo Poster

I have a good supply of these Isuzu Backrest's already made up for both the 650 and 400 Burgman's ready for installation for $65 shipping included by FedEx, for those of you who don't want to try to make your own. Just send me a PM if interested.

Thanks
Bearcat[attachment=0:3bruhemr]Black Isuzu Backrest on 650 001.jpg[/attachment:3bruhemr]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Isuzu Backrest on 650 001.jpg (98.8 KB, 5390 views)

ASA, "In god we trust, all others we monitor"
Old Guys Rule

Black 2008 Burgman 650 Exec.
White 2009 Burgman 650 Exec.
Grip Puppies
Twin Fiamm blaster horns
Isuzu backrest
Gel seat pad
Garmin 750 GPS
LED turn signals on mirrors
Kahtec Brake Light Modulator
Nelson Riggs Touring Saddlebags
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM

What do I need to do to remove the butt rest? I couldn't see anything under the seat which keeps it from coming all the way out, but there must be some screws or something somewhere that I'm not seeing.

2007 Burgman 400
Givi V46 Monolock case
Throttle Rocker
Suzuki hand warmers
Wind deflectors
Isuzu backrest
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 AM

Ooh, this is thread is very interesting!!

just picked up my K9 Exec with 3200km, and rode it from Melbourne to Sydney (Australia) via a friend's place in Gippsland, over one and a half days, for some 1200km, and within an hour I knew something was "different". My test ride of a Burg 650 was on a Standard, and I had been rather comfortable. But my Exec was not. And discussion with one of the sales staff on a different matter brought into light the different seats on the two. The Standard has the front of the seat pushed up. My Exec does not. So a constant feel of sliding forward, needing constant shifts to effect a more (read slightly) comfortable position. Add to that my larger than normal butt, my 185cm (6'1")height, and I was not a very happy chappy in the bottom department. I was forever pushing hard back against the butt-stop to relieve the stinging pains in my cheeks!!

So, an Airhawk, or maybe lambswool for under-butt, but this mod with the headrests looks like a must! The only thing I would like to see are photos of the under seat showing how the tubing is placed and secured, etc. Are they available? I'm off to the gallery and other places looking, but will happily accept a PM if that's easier.

Go Burgy!

Mark

Silver 650 Exec K9
Givi topbox
TomTom Rider Pro
RAM Reservoir mount
Cardo Scala Solo Rider

And remember: Rubber Side Down

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.