Pictures: Rear Brake Pads and Lub. for '03 650 Standard - Page 2 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Poster

Re: Pictures: Rear Brake Pads and Lub. for '03 650 Standard

you should ALWAYS wear latex gloves (or plastic if allergic to latex) to do dirty work like this.

I buy a box of 100 pairs for GBP5 which is about 8USD

Nice pics, they will help someone.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Super Poster

Thanks to the OP JIM for all the photos and directions. As it happened I replaced the rear pads yesterday, and even though I didn't use your post, I happened to have followed pretty much what you had written in terms of initial disassembly. One thing though was that my new pads were such a tight fit trying to get the whole calliper assembly back onto the rear disc rotor. Even though I managed it, I wasn't happy as the wheel was so difficult to turn with the amount of friction the pads were exerting on the disc rotor. Yes, I had screwed the park brake calliper piston back in and used a lever type action to push the opposite piston in to, and had removed the brake fluid reservoir lid and rubber boot so as to allow easier movement of the the brake fluid. After replacing the pads, managing to get them whole assemble back onto the brake rotor and buttoning everything up I was not happy at just how tight the pads were. I decided to remove the entire calliper assembly again, and after removing brake pad retaining pins and then the brake pads themselves, I removed, then turned the spring plate 180 degrees and was about to refit the brake pads when the shim plate fell out (shown in picture 14). I hadn't seen it before on the first disassemble, and a quick check on my workshop manual and LeDudes Burgman centre using a V P N both of which didn't shed any light on just where the shim plate (that is held in by friction) had come from (shown in the 9th and 14th photos starting from the top of Jims posts). After a short time of scratching my head, I ended up leaving the shim plate out, figuring that perhaps it was remnants of previous brake pad backing plates etc left in. It would also go some way to explaining why the first attempt at getting the whole assembly with brake pads in situ back onto the disc rotor was so tight, as I'd figured that this plate had got caught in amongst the top of the brake pads, the retaining pins and the spring plate - somehow. After returning the new brake pads and then the retaining pins back in place, I was able to get the whole brake assembly onto the rotors with much less drama. It seems in hindsight then that I had reinserted the spring plate the wrong way. Turning it 180 degrees worked. I hadn't put the plate in upside down, just in wrong.

After reattaching all the bolts and buttoning everything back up, the brakes seemed to work fine, minus the shim plate. Now looking at the photos here I can see I need to disassemble again and get the shim plate back in, now that I can see where it belongs.

So just wanted to say thanks for the insight JIM and *bump* this thread, as it is really helpful.

Cheers.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Jim:
Thank you for posting this. It was very useful for me when I got the '09 back from the dealer after a rear brake disk replacement and the parking brake didn't work. I asked,"Did you use OEM or aftermarket pads?" "We used XYZ pads." Hence the problem was found. That little peg on the back of the OEM parts was the answer. Thanks again!
Blessings, Ken

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Super Moderator

Glad the photos helped you all.

Thanks.

Pictures of Modifications and Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.