Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Starter Removal, 650, and the body panels to facilitate that

29K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  SpunN16 
#1 ·
This is a multi-part guide on the removal of the starter motor. It includes the following steps.

1. Lower frame cover removal
2. Backrest removal (Does not require previous step)
3. Center frame cover removal (Requires steps 1 and 2)
4. Pillion rider handle removal (Requires steps 1-3)
5. Seat removal (Does not require previous steps)
6. Battery cover removal + Battery removal (Does not require previous steps)
7. Trunk box cover removal (Requires step 6)
8. Frame cover removal (Requires steps 1-4, 6, 7)
9. Floor mat removal (Does not require previous steps)
10. Leg side cover removal (Requires step 9)
11. Foot board removal (Requires steps 1-10)
12. Starter removal (Requires steps 1-11)

These steps must all be finished before the starter can be removed. This guide advises the removal of the seat in order to remove the foot board, rather then the service guide's suggestion of removing several pieces on the front of the bike. I can testify from my experience that putting the foot board back on is more difficult without removing pieces on the front of the bike, but it is entirely possible.

Note: The guide gives the suggested order of removal for items. The pictures may include items that have not been removed, or have already been removed, because I followed a different order then then I am suggesting.

My mechanic wanted $300+ for this. So assume 2 hours for removal and 2 hours for putting back together. It can definitely be done faster, but it's always wise to take your time if this is your first time pulling the bike apart.

Plus if this is your first time pulling the bike apart, you may choose to wash the inside or these pieces since they probably have a lot of accumulated road grime.

Alternate photos and views are also available.

All pictures are available full size and without annotation in a gallery located at http://rumur.smugmug.com/gallery/3730598

See less See more
#2 ·
Notes about Tools, Fasteners, and Liability

Use my guide at your own risk. I can not be held responsible if you cause any damage to yourself or your bike using these instructions. They are a guide and not the gospel. If you are in doubt about anything, consult a qualified mechanic.

The guy I look to for help.

I used the following tools for these removals.

1. Needle nose pliers

2. Small flat head screwdriver for prying.

3. #3 (Large) Philips head screwdriver

4. 10mm wrench.

5. Allen wrenchs or bits of small and large (unknown) metric sizes. (sorry my set doesn't give sizes, but if you have a metric set, the wrenches will most likely be in there.

The 2003 Burgman uses the same style of fastener for this entire process. It would be a good idea to purchase a fastener and see how it works before you attempt to start removing them. They can generally be removed in one of three ways. Listed in order of suggested ways of removal.

1. Pull out center then grab sides and remove fastener.
2. Push in center a small amount and then grab sides and remove fastener
3. Push in center until it pops out then good luck trying to find pin once you pull out outer ring.

Fastener top view and side view pulled out.[/img][/img]

#3 ·

1. Start at the back of your 650. If you have trouble locating this please take your bike to a qualified mechanic. :)

The back of a 2003 Burgman 650

2. Locate the fasteners at the bottom edges of the lower frame cover.

Located near the rear side reflectors.

3. Remove the fasteners. Do not force it like I did.

3. Pull down on the sides of the lower frame cover. The sides have notches.

4. Pull down on the middle of the lower frame cover. The frame cover is held in place with a compression fitting and simply requires force to remove.

Pictures of the compression fitting.

End. You have now removed the lower frame cover.

#4 ·
2. Backrest removal

2. Backrest removal

Note: This step is optional if you do not have a passenger backrest.

Note: This does not require step one to complete. If your only goal is removal of the back rest then you can simply follow these instructions and ignore the removal of the lower frame cover.

1. Pull the bottom sides of the cushion away from backrest. The cushion is held in place with compression fittings. Then lift up and off.

2. Remove the back plastic panel of the backrest by using a philips head screwdiver to remove the four screws indicated in the picture.

3. Use an allen wrench to remove the three bolts holding the backrest frame to the bike frame.

End: You have now removed the passenger backrest .

#5 ·
3. Center frame cover removal

3. Center frame cover removal

1. Remove the two fasteners holding the bottom of the cover on.

2. Remove the two fasteners holding the top of the cover on. The fasteners are located two inches on either side of the seat latch. They have already been removed in this photo, but their location is clearly visible.

Note: You do not have to use a screwdriver to remove the center frame cover. These bumpers do not need to be removed.

3. Lift off the center frame cover.

End: You have now finished removal of the center frame cover.

#6 ·
4. Pillion rider handle removal

4. Pillion rider handle removal

Note: The service manual advises using thread locker on the rider handle bolts when remounting them.

1. Remove the bolts that were hidden under the center frame cover.

Note: Make sure to remove inner metal ring after removing bolt, otherwise this piece may get lost when you remove the handle. It easily slides in and out of it's hole.

2. Pry off rubber cover from front of handles.

3. Remove the two bolts holding the front of the handles to the frame.

(Shown with one of the bolts already removed.)

4. Pull the handles away from bike. If you hear the sound of something falling into the bike, you forgot to remove the metal sleeve pictured above.

End: Here is a picture of the underside of the handle. You can see the screw holes where you can attach posts for a bungee net.

#7 ·
5. Seat removal

5. Seat removal

Note: You can remove the seat at any point before the removal of the foot board. I suggest removing it at this point to make accessing the battery and trunk box cover easier.

1. Open the seat.
2. On the right hand side, if you are facing forward, is the seat damper. Pull the pin and slide the damper off the seat. There is a washer between the damper and the pin. I suggest putting the washer back on the seat along with the pin after the damper has been removed for safe keeping.

3. Disconnect the electrical line for the seat light at the white connector.

(It is the already disconnected in the photo.)

4. Remove the four nuts holding the seat to it's bracket.

5.Lift the seat off.

End: You have finished removing the seat.

#8 ·
6. Battery cover removal + Battery removal

6. Battery cover removal + Battery removal

Note: In the photos the seat has not been removed. You may find this step easier if you remove the seat first. It is not required for removal of the battery cover and battery.

1. Remove the tool kit.

2. Find the pin on the battery cover and pull it out with your fingers.

3. Pull the battery cover back and off the battery. The starter relay is attached to the battery cover along with a wire to the starter relay.

4. The wire to the starter relay can be removed from the battery cover by using needle nose pliers and pinching the pin that holds it on the cover.

(This is the bottom of the battery cover.)

5. The starter relay can be pulled off the battery cover by hand. It is held on by the plastic fins fitting into the rubber holder of the starter relay.

6. Unscrew the battery, starting with the negative side first. Replace the screws in the posts after removing the wires in order to not lose the nut inside the battery posts.

7. You can now pull the battery straight out by gripping the top of it.

End: You have now removed the battery.

(The connector you see in the photo would already be disconnected if you have removed the seat previously.)

#9 ·
7. Trunk box cover removal

7. Trunk box cover removal

Note: The pictures show the removal of the trunk box cover with the seat still attached. I suggest removing the seat first, but it is not required to be removed in order to remove the trunk box cover.

1. Remove the screws on the right side of the trunk box cover.

2. Remove the screws on the left side of the trunk box cover.

3. Pull the trunk box cover up and out.

End: You have now removed the trunk box cover.

#10 ·
8. Frame cover removal

8. Frame cover removal

1. Remove the screws at the back of the bike.

2. On the left side you will need to remove the screws on either side of the gas cap. To remove the cover on the left side you will need to remove the gas cap, but make certain to remove the screws first so that they do not fall into the gas line.

3. Remove the fasteners along the bottom. You can then pull the panels off.

4. To completely remove the left side you will have to disconnect the tail light. Here is a picture of the connector's location after being disconnected.

5. To completely remove the right side you would need to disconnect the licence plate light. I choose not to do this since you do not have to completely remove the panel from the bike to remove the leg shield.

End: You have now removed the left side and dislodged the right side.

#11 ·
9. Floor mat removal

9. Floor mat removal

Note: This is probably the easiest step and one that can completed at any point before this .

1. Pry up a corner of the floor mat.

2. You can then just pull the mat up slowly. Make certain that you are applying force as close to the compression fittings as possible to avoid ripping.

3. Repeat for all four mats.

End: You have now finished removing the floor mats.

#12 ·
10. Leg side cover removal

10. Leg side cover removal

1. Remove the fasteners from the passenger foot rests.

(Shown with a bit on the bolts. This will not be on your bike.)

2. Remove the screw holding the rear of the cover to the passenger foot rest.

3. Remove the fasteners from the driver's foot rests.

4. Remove the three screws at the front of the foot board.

5. The front of the cover is held on with a compression fitting. You will have to pull off the cover from the front. If you find that the cover is not coming off at any point once you release the compression fitting, make certain you have removed all the fasteners.

Note: Do not remove the bolts holding the leg side cover to the foot board until you have removed the leg side cover. It will make pulling the cover off a lot more difficult if you do.

End: You have now removed the leg side covers.

#13 ·
11. Foot board removal

11. Foot board removal

1. Remove the screws from the air intake on the right side.

2. Remove the screws holding down the top of the foot board.

3. Remove the bolts holding down foot board from the foot rests.

4. Lift the foot board off from the back pulling it away from the front of the bike.

End: You have removed the foot board.

#14 ·
12. Starter removal

12. Starter removal

The starter is located on top of the back of the engine.

1. Pull back the rubber boot on the wire connected to the starter and use a wrench to remove the wire from starter.

2. Remove the screws holding the starter to the engine. You may need a wrench to get them started.

(Shown with wrench on screw/bolt)

3. Pull the starter away from the engine case.

3. Turn the starter a quarter turn counter clockwise and lift it out.

Note: It may seem at first like the starter won't fit, but if you take your time and work with it, it will come out.

End: Congratulations you have finished the removal of the starter. Good luck putting it all back together.

#15 ·
Congratulations on producing a new standard for the "How To" section! I'm sure hundreds of people will be thanking you for the many hours it took to put this together. Everyone else: bookmark this one and reference it whenever anyone needs to know to remove any of the body panels!

#20 ·
Thank you for such a detailed and informative guide (with pics, no less). Now I have the info needed to finish tearing down my bike. Others have been great at explaining the details, but without step-by-step pics, I've still been more than a bit wary. Now I feel confident enough to do it! :D

#21 ·
Super guide, THANK YOU !!!. Just went through this process changing the relay and starter and tried to do a test start of the bike prior to putting it all back together ... no luck. Kill switch checked, side stand stowed and on center stand. Have not noticed any problems with harness. HELP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.