DIY Oil Change on 2007 Burgman 400 - Step by Step, BIG Pics - Suzuki Burgman Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

DIY Oil Change on 2007 Burgman 400 - Step by Step, BIG Pics

I got sick of bad guides with incomplete or completely wrong information (I tried about 5 ways of resetting my Oil Change light before digging through the manual and finding out the real way) so I decided to write my own guide. This was done tonight on a 2007 model, so I'm not guaranteeing it for older models, but I'm 99% sure that the 08's should be the same as this.

Here we go.

Tools required:
8mm socket
17mm socket

Materials required:
Something to drain oil in to
Some rags
Small o-ring Suzuki PN# 09280-13004
Large o-ring Suzuki PN# 09280-54001
Suzuki oil filter PN# 16510-05240
1300ml of oil as specified in your manual (my dealer didn't have Suzuki oil so I used Honda GN4)

Step 1. Place the bike on its center stand on a flat, hard surface. I did it in the garage, worked great. Make sure the bike is pretty warm, but not too hot as to burn your hands on the engine or exhaust. Get all of your materials ready before you start.

Step 2. Remove the oil fill plug on the right side of the bike. In case you're not sure where that is, here's an illustration.

Step 3. Place whatever you're going to drain oil in to under the drain plug and oil filter cover on the right side of the bike. Loosen the 17mm drain plug and the oil will start pouring out. Be careful, it comes fast and could be hot.

Step 4. Loosen the 3 8mm bolts around the oil filter cover and remove them. Be careful not to drop them in the drained oil. Oil will gush out of the cover as you start to remove bolts.

Step 5. Once you have the cover removed, pull the old oil filter out. It just slides out. Be careful - it might be hot.

Step 6. If you look in the cavity where the oil filter was, you'll notice a little post sticking out. There's a little rubber o-ring around it. This is the smaller of the two o-rings that you'll remove and replace. Do that now. The new one just slides on. Make sure it's slid back all the way.

Step 7. Install the new filter with the shown end facing inward. When installed, the outer edge of the filter should sit flush with the outer edge of the engine.

Step 8. Before you reinstall the filter cover, replace the large o-ring shown below. Make sure to take a rag and wipe down the entire face of the filter cover (around the o-ring) REALLY well before reinstalling it. You don't want any dirt to get in the oil. Also, be sure to coat the o-ring with a bit of oil on BOTH sides before installation to help it seat.

WARNING - Be sure not to over tighten the small 8mm bolts or you can strip them out. If you do, you'll have major problems, as the threads on the block will be destroyed.

Step 9. Also be sure to clean off the magnet on the oil drain plug REALLY well. This magnet attracts loose metal shavings that get in the oil from engine wear... you don't want them going back in the engine, so clean it off really well. After it's clean, replace the drain plug.

WARNING - Be sure not to over tighten it. I tightened it snug, plus about 1/8 of a turn.

10. Now it's time to add the oil. I put in about 1.25 quarts to start off. If you're watching the fill window, you'll notice that you'll go past the "full" line. That's ok - when you start the engine the oil level will fill the filter chamber and the level will go down. After about 1.25 quarts is in, put the oil fill cap back on and start the engine. Watch the oil will window until the oil level levels out, and then turn the bike off. The oil level will be slightly lower when the bike is running. You don't have to get it EXACTLY on the fill line, but close is ideal.

Step 11. Your "Change Oil" light is probably on, so you'll want to reset it. To do that, insert the key and leave the ignition in the OFF position. Hold down the SEL button. While continuing to hold the SEL button, turn the key one click to the right. The "Change Oil" indicator will begin to flash... when this happens release the SEL button and the indicator will eventually turn off.

That's it! Just an FYI as to why we change oil:

I hope this helps someone out!
ducati14 likes this.

Jason
07 Yamaha FJR1300A
07 Acura TSX 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 PM
JT
Insane Poster

Excellent write-up and awesome pics!

The only thing I'd add to it is the torque specs:

Engine Oil Drain Plug: 16.5 ft-lb / 23 N-m / 2.3 kgf-m
Oil Filter Cap Bolts: 7.0 ft-lb / 10 N-m / 1.0 kgf-m

2007 Burgman 400 "Uma-chan" ???? RIP@13867 miles
2004 Vespa ET4 "Chile Rey"
2009 Suzuki TU250X "Red Menace"
2009 Suzuki GS500F "Black Magic"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Wes
Missed but Remembered

Whatever your name is, you did a fantastic job of writing a How To. Very nice pictures. I think this will wind up as a "Sticky" for posterity. It would be nice if you would make a signature with your choice of name and your bike model to help the rest of us relate to you. Thanks for the write-up.

Wes Jackson
Nanaimo BC
Canada

Silver '04 650 - My Evil Twin (written off)
HOG Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 AM

THANKS for the thorough post. This is the job I'm planning for today... Mrs. V's 400K7 was bought w/729 miles on the clock. The original owner claims the 600mi maintenance was done (no receipts) so I'll swap-out the oil & filter for GPs and peace of mind.

Where in Michigan? Outskirts of North Plainwell here.

AN650K7 w/a little blue sticker...
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Insane Poster

Nice job!

Still The Burger Queen
Former: AN650K4, Black Duc-Burger
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys - and thanks for the sticky. Like I said, I hope this info helps someone out.

Jason
07 Yamaha FJR1300A
07 Acura TSX 6MT
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Ino
Super Poster

i64sx,

Much thanks. Glad I ran into this particular forum. Pics are excellent and step-by-step... this will save some $$ in the long run.

Ino
2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 with Velorex 700 Sidecar--Silver
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 with Velorex 565 Sidecar--Blue (SOLD)
1978 Suzuki Angel Mo-Ped (48cc)--Blue

"4 wheels move my body but 3 wheels move my soul"
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Excellant job Jason

JohnK
AN650A K6 (lifetime avg. 55 mpg)

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Super Poster

Great post, now we need one just like it for changing the drive oil.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 PM

i64X,

Great job! This is terrific!
Dealer serviced oil changes seem pretty expensive. So, thanks to your excellent instructions, I think I can do this myself.

Thanks again,
Nick S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.