Need Advise on the forks-Re Post - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Turbo Poster

Garage
Need Advise on the forks-Re Post

I think I posted this in the wrong category.

Year round riding, coastal salt air and general wet and salty conditions are taking a hefty toll on my '07 AN400 at 14.5K. Having come to terms with having to replace my belt which was barely within spec last year, possibly having to replace the clutch, (there is something 'ringing' the bell, perhaps a broken spring, and last year there was not much left of the clutch pads) and a full cleaning on the front and rear brake calipers, I was not looking for any other major work that requires immediate attention. Sorry for the venting.
Last year the fork dust seals were in good condition but I had not taken a good again until a couple of weeks ago. The photos below are what I found. I have to do the work myself, due to the dealers ballpark of over $800USD and they probably would want to change out both fork cylinders because they are pitted, making the final cost something I am not willing to bear.
It is only this forum and the videos that Mitch does, that give me what I need to go ahead with anything I do on the Burger. Yeah, so I am a bit overwhelmed but not discouraged about getting the Burger back in tip-top shape. One thing at a time, right?
For the moment I could use some advise on the fork cylinders. The photo shows one of them but the other is almost a bad. Mitch fits his parts from the top of the cylinder, downward in order. In order to bypass the pitted part and risk damaging the new components, I thought I would go from the bottom of the cylinder, upward in order. So there is a way to avoid the pitted part. The fork travel does not reach it. Is it necessary to replace the cylinders? The rust and corrosion you see in the photos is from the dust seal stopper, the metal ring that locks in the oil seal. I am not leaking fork oil but I have just started to hear a squeaking noise from one of them. If I don't have to replace them what would you guys recommend to clean-up some of that pitting on the fork. Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R Dust Seal.jpg (440.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg R Fork Cylinder.jpg (359.3 KB, 4 views)

Blue AN400 K7
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Nelson Rigg 850 Saddle Bags
Boulevard C50T K8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.