Increased Displacement on the 400 - Suzuki Burgman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Increased Displacement on the 400

The 400 needs to be bumped up to 500cc's-without a significant increase in weight. The extra displacement would give it an extra cushion of power needed for over-the-road cruising--a sense of less straining at higher speeds. The weight to displacement ratio is just to low at only 400cc's. The 650 could then be bumped to 750 to place it in a better position to compete with the new Yamaha 750 superscooter.
zero260 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Poster

Bike Type: Burgman 400 08 model
Default Re: Increased Displacement on the 400

50 cc will do the job just as well and at less cost and why do we always need to chase other manufcturers for capacity when all this means is just more power and cost in money and lives.
Muse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Poster

Of the complaints on the 400, engine has never been on my list. Clutch would be first on the list, but I can't complain much about it and windshield height next.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Poster

Yes, the windshield could be improved, decrease its rake and stiffen it up a little. I really like the engine, and loosing 40 or 50 pounds would do the trick for me, the bike I mean.

If they could spruce up the belt cover and ditch the plastic cover it would be good and easier to work on.
TwoWheelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: 09 Burgman 650 & 09 V-Star 650

I think the 400 is the right size for me. If I had wanted a larger engine, I would have bought a scooter with a larger engine. Mine pulls me well here in the mountains and it will easily cruise well beyond the fastest speed limits I encounter while getting 60+ MPH. If they would only change the windshield to one as good as the GIVI.
BreakAway Cruise Control
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/Throttle Bosses
Clearview Light Grey Tint Windshield w/5 position adjustable vent.
TrailBlazer Deceleration Warning Lights
Givi E410 Top Case w/backrest, LED Running and Brake Lights
Utopia Driver's Backrest w/detachable pouch

2009 V-Star 650
osbornk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to v8eyedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk
I think the 400 is the right size for me. If I had wanted a larger engine, I would have bought a scooter with a larger engine. Mine pulls me well here in the mountains and it will easily cruise well beyond the fastest speed limits I encounter while getting 60+ MPH. If they would only change the windshield to one as good as the GIVI.
I agree with you on the current size of the 400's engine and already changed to the Givi windshield as I am sure most people have done....
55 HD KHK
98 Boss Hoss
2 GSXR-1000's

PRESENTLY OWN:
01 Honda GL1800
08 Burgman AN400 Coocase colormatched handguards heated grips Denali lights
"PROUD MEMBER OF THE PATRIOT GUARD RIDERS"
"RIDE WHEN IT'S SUNNY - WORK WHEN IT RAINS"
v8eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Poster

I think the existing engine would be fine if they gave it a proper flywheel to carry it through the compression stroke. It could make better torque at a lower rpm for improved hill climbing and fuel mileage. The only downside is that it won't rev as quickly when downshifting during GP racing, but I don't race a Burgman professionally anyway.
A single needs a big flywheel. The Japanese never give their singles enough flywheel.
Tokkyu40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Poster

Bike Type: '07 Burgman 400 & '05 Burgman 650

Not going to happen. Once you get above 450ccs on a street engine, you have to go to a twin cylinder; Which means a whole new engine and a whole new bike design. And the payoff for Suzuki would be infringement on their 650 sales; not a smart business move.

As was commented, not many people are complaining about power on the b400 and Suzuki kinda owns the 400 market. Why tamper with that?

A few more ccs, maybe. New transmission, maybe. But a 500, nah. Too much to lose, not enough to gain, and a big investment to do so.

Liamjs
Ingrid - '07 Blue Burgman 400 (42k) - original owner
Jesse - '05 Silver Burgman 650 (15k) - 3rd owner
Liamjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Poster

DRZ 400 bits could probably be made to fit they give 40 bhp in standard form and up
to 50 bhp in tuned form, I would think just changing the head would do it, but then it
would likely blow the 650 into the weeds and would not be good for 650 sales.
I wont be doing it if I need to go faster I buy another bike, you cant beat cubes as they say,
Maybe a project for someone that likes to do this sort of thing and as good engineering skills.
Ralph M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
50 cc will do the job just as well and at less cost and why do we always need to chase other manufacturers for capacity when all this means is just more power and cost in money and lives.
Extra power would not cost lives. Having extra power can get you out of situations, but until you have enough to wheelie or break the rear tire lose I can't see it causing a problem.

Last edited by JohnK; 11-12-2013 at 09:16 AM.
bkfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki Burgman Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.