Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Improvements to the Burgman 650

14K views 33 replies 32 participants last post by  BurgyBill 
#1 ·
After 9000 miles I've compiled a list of improvements Suzuki should consider to make this the perfect ride.

1. Adjustable front suspension. It is to stiff. I prefer the boulevard ride.
2. Program the transmission for no engine braking. This very annoying in low speed stop and go traffic, on/off throttle response is jerky. Not to mention dangerous on wet and slick roads. On future models even add a solenoid to deactivate the clutch when the brake is applied.
3. Fix the 50mpg max problem.
4. Fix the speedometer error. It is 5mph off at 60mph.
5. Raise the side mirrors. They are to low, I have lean forward some to see the mirrors.
6. Could use a wider and taller wind screen.

#6 ·
rearward amber turnsignal flashers on the mirrors
Amber forward position lights

1 update the instrument panel : MPG meter with no limits, a seperate clock, LED back lighting w/ intensity control, more daylight friendly meters and lighting.
2 better horn (air)
3 optional factory cruise control
4 lighted handlebar buttons
5 better placed 12v power socket + one in the trunk
6 more fuel efficiency - that's always a given, but you would think they can do better than they are now
7 better rust proofing of the frame - heck...lets go with a lightweight aluminum frame.
8 armrests for the pillion rider, not just grips
9 an inertia activated brake light system when engine braking
10 an integrated luggage rack behind the pillion backrest
11 optional hardshell "trunk" that is custom designed to fit where the passanger would sit.

I like the mirrors where they are if adjusted correctly - maybe some kind of wideangle mirror integrated into the design
I even like the engine braking - saves the brake pads - keeps the pillion rider awake!

#7 ·
Engine braking is a good feature, just requires precise throttle control (cannot 'slap' to no throttle like with clutch bikes).

However - LED back lighting w/ intensity control, more daylight friendly meters and lighting would be a really good idea. Depending on the angle of the sun I may not be able to see anything on the dash... It's OK at night.

#10 ·
In my 30,400 miles of experience with my silver 2003 AN650K3 Burgman 650 ... I have only two wishes to prevent being stranded and paying big $$$.

1. I want a "flexible deflector shield" low to the pavement just in front of the rear wheel to deflect foreign objects from penetrating the rear wheel and causing flats. I have had multiple rear tire punctures from nails, screws, etc. that seem to be set-up by the front tire so they penetrate only the rear tire. Never had a puncture on a front tire. Rear tire purchase plus mounting and balancing can cost $150.00 for each event.

2. I want better seals on the "interlock switches" for both hand brakes and side stand. I was in the middle of New Mexico last week at exit 96 on I-40 to rest and read my maps. When I went to start the motor, NOTHING! Caused me to be towed by AAA about 60 miles into Alburquerque to the Motorsport Suzuki dealer for a technician to use contact cleaner and forced air to clean out switch bodies so contacts would close every time. Cost was labor only at $80.00 per hour! Overnight camping was $50.00. That's $130.00 spent on that trip that was unplanned!

This is an outstanding bike that has carried me from Surprise, Arizona to San Diego, CA twice and to Santa Fe, New Mexico twice. Larger windscreens can be purchased from "Clearview" with built-in vent and better hand protection. http://www.clearviewshields.com/

I'd buy another Suzuki Burgman 650 to replace this one when necessary. This 650 takes me anywhere, anytime ... in style. And It does not cost $24,000 to have the full joy of touring style motorcycling in any state in the Union. Best motorcycle value and reliability EVER.

#32 ·
When I went to start the motor, NOTHING! Caused me to be towed by AAA about 60 miles into Alburquerque to the Motorsport Suzuki dealer for a technician to use contact cleaner and forced air to clean out switch bodies so contacts would close every time. Cost was labor only at $80.00 per hour! Overnight camping was $50.00. That's $130.00 spent on that trip that was unplanned!
When that happened to me, I just sprayed WD-40 inside the twist grip. WD stands for water displacement. The problem was probably caused by condensation on the contacts. The quick fix not only restored the ignition and lights but has prevented a reoccurrence of the same problem for over two years. You may have been able to save $100 bucks by carrying a small spray can of WD-40 or contact cleaner and a straw.

#12 ·
My wishlist, in order of preference:

1) Better passenger accommodations:
- Indents in the trunk for legs, so the passenger doesn't have to sit bow-legged and pigeon-toed to use the floorboards.
- Passenger pegs instead of floorboards, to facilitate the use of aftermarket mini-boards, or adjustable-location pegs, etc.
- The capability of having a combination topcase/LARGE (top-to-bottom/side-to-side/properly-angled) BACKREST/luggage-rack.

2) Factory cruise, at least as an option.

3) Lighter weight, specifically an aluminum frame.

4) Help in facilitating the use of risers/bar-backs:
- More slack in the cables.
- A more open handlebar design, instead of the tupperware there (which would also allow the addition of various aftermarket add-ons that are handlebar-mounted).

5) Better EFI mapping for low-speed and on/off riding, with a user-settable engine-braking control.

6) An inch-larger tires.

7) Better suspension.

8) Some sort of tip-over protection capability.

9) A flush-mounted (and still lockable) gas cap, i.e.: lose the flimsy gas door.

10) Clock and temp displayed together.

#15 ·
Some style.

#16 ·
I would LOVE to see a Burgman with a DIESEL engine! Yea, a TDI ballz-to-the-wall honest-to-goodness small DIESEL engine!

#18 ·
25,000 miles on mine and here's what I'd change:

1. Lose 100 lbs
2. Get rid of "gears" instead have three fully automatic modes: rain/economy, standard, performance
3. Complete rethink of instrument cluster, specifically:
3a. miles to empty not 3/4 full
3b. actual temperature in degrees
3c. analog tachometer
4. longer service intervals
5. integrated luggage, topcase, backrest
6. large, fully adjustable windscreen
7. if #1 doesn't deliver a mileage boost, a bit more tankage

-Scott

#19 ·
Here's my wish list:

1. 16" tires
2. 900cc engine
3. Additional 100 lb
4. More comfortable seat with the rider backrest (as an option)
5. Electronic cruise control
6. Manually adjustable windscreen
7. Externally mounted either a cigarette lighter socket or a Powerlet socket
8. Built-in GPS (as well as a pair of small wings in case I would like to fly)

#30 ·
I made one for mine. It holds a 32 ounce stainless thermos with the top drilled for a straw. The holder velcros' to the top of the hump.

You can also buy a cheap hanging cup holder, cut off the hook, drill a hole in it and attach it to the left side using the bottom dashboard screw. Works great too.

#21 ·
In the german Burgman 650 Forum we have an equal list since years. It looks similar to this here.

My wishes are:

-less weight
-much more soft suspension, especially the fork
-delete the bonanza effect (second drive by belt instead of cog wheels)
-eccept the headlamps, all lighting with LEDs
-OEM preparing for GPS and MP3
-antirust frame and exhaust
-combined brakes (like early Burgman 250/400)
-less (and illuminated) switches on handle bar
-no manual- and switchable sport mode, normal mode standard, and sport mode be activated only by turning quickly the throttle
-white background (lighting) for the instruments

I am content with the design, the 650ccm engine, the front lights, the wheel sizes.
The Burgman needs no more power by the engine or a larger reservoir, it will be quicker and able to ride longer distances by loosing weight.

#22 ·
I've only had my Burgie for 11 days now, but the main thing I have noticed is the inaccuracy of the speedometer. Mine is off by more than 10%. I've owned several motorcycles, and they all have been off a little, but this one is by far the worst. This impacts the miles racked up on the bike too, therefore causing excess depreciation. By my GPS, it is 9.8 miles to work, but my Burgie racks up almost 11 miles for the same trip.
The only thing I really miss from my Goldwing (bike before this one) is the electronic cruise control. That would be a very nice factory option to offer on the Burgman. Oh and a true neutral would be a nice feature, also. Thanks.

#25 ·
I Will Be Purchasing A New Burgman 650 Executive Very Early 2013. At The Moment I Ride A Gilera 200VXR.
Wish List:- I Would Like Suzuki To Re-Think About Their Colour Schemes, Why Not Give All Colour Options To Every Country. I Live In The United Kingdom And Would Love To Have The option Of Having A Burgman 650 In Candy Sonoma Red. The Burgman Could Be Delivered Naked Of Panels To A Suzuki Dealer, And The Customer Could Then Select A Colour Option In Store To Be Fitted. I Would Like Fog Lights To Be Fitted. A Better Taller Backrest For The Front Rider, Update Bulbs To LED's(It's 2012). Have A Front Mud Flap To Protect The Radiator. Re-Design Light Bulb Covers To Be Removeable So That A Duff Bulb Can Be Changed Quickly.

#26 ·
OK, I'll take a stab at this. Here's my wish list (though my real wish is that Suzuki would listen)

1) Color options....really, only two a year. I guess we're using the Model T Philisophy....you can any color you want as long as it black.
2) Better seat, I know it's cliche but come on
3) Loose a little weight....wait that's me!
4) A driver's backrest option instead of that stupid butt pad
5) Reasonably priced accessories....$500 for a factory top case?
6) OK bigger wheels
7) Update the styling....my underwear hasn't gone this long without changing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.